Old Sofpaqs

Cobrag0318

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
I have a very old Compaq that is still useful as a local file and mail server, due to its limited power usage. I recently changed one of the drives in it causing the bios to re-detect, incorrectly I might add, and now I can't access any of my drives. It is one of those Compaqs that require a setup partition or boot disk to set the bios. It appears my disk set have died, but I have downloaded the softpaq exe file. It writes an image directly to disk, but it keeps erroring out saying "file write error". I need to know why it's doing this, or at least how to extract the contents of the softpaq another way.

Cobrag0318

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Exe. I tried opening it with an ISO editor. Also with a Zip/Ace/Rar program hoping it'd be able to read it's contents. Nothing. Maybe someone else can try running the softpaq, letting it write to a floppy, and then sending me it as an ISO?

Softpaq is only a download manager so it won't be bootable. If you're seeing an exe file, it's already been upzipped if it ever was zipped in the first place.

My best shot would be to remove the CMOS battery, leave it out for a day and pop it back. BIOS may have forgotten everything it ever knew by then. If that doesn't do it, try looking for CMOS jumpers or short points on the motherboard.

Cobrag0318

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Ok. This is an older softpaq. It is an EXE. When you run the EXE in DOS, it opens up a program to write the setup disk files to a floppy. Basically, it's writing from an image, that is internal to the EXE file. It is a Presario 850. It's old as hell. Only has ISA slots, so that lets out anything USB.

My problem is it requires the setup floppy to access the bios settings. I need to access that because I need to manually set my drive geometry. It doesn't have a built in bios utility. Thus there is no pressing f2,f10, or del to get into bios. Well, it does have an option to write the service partition to a hard drive, but that requires you to have been able to run the setup disk first, AND have access to the hard drive to install it. Neither do I have because I can't get the softpaq to write a viable boot floppy, and the hard drive is what I'm trying to get working to begin with.

Ultimately, since the softpaq exe basically writes an image to the floppy, I need to know how I can view the image contents to manually retrieve the files. Since it's built into the exe, tools like winImg can't read it.

something like this Intel Atom system would be low powered
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108728

dont know what your budget is
and trust me I know what operating on a low budget is all about
so I dont know if $250 is doable or if newegg USA is available to you
but that would be a great low powered file server for the money

I am a big fan of keeping older systems going
the best way to practice being "Green"
but sometimes you have to give up on a system when it gets too obsolete
you could check Craigslist or newspaper classifieds or flea markets
in US about $150 will get you a OEM Core2Duo system used
just stay away from Pentium D and Pentium 4s
power hungry
the OEM Core2Duo models usually only have 200 watt PSUs and draw about 125watts during normal usage

at this point any computer without USB and PCI slots running anything older than XP is really obsolete
some members will consider Athlon XP and Pentium 4 computers unusable but they are fine as web browsers,office and music machines.
I commend you on keeping a system that old going for so long.
the E-dumps are full of towers that could still be usable which is a shame