Will Artic Silver hurt AMDs?

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
I've heard from a couple of people that Artic Silver can seep into the core of an AMD chip, eventually causing all sorts of problems. I currently use Cooler Master Premium thermal compound which works fine, but have considered going to Artic silver if it can drop me a degree or two. Anybody ? I've yet to find anything to confirm or deny this rumor in print, even on compeditor's sites.

<A HREF="http://rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Ask yourself... how can something soak into a chunk of metal?

That's what a CPU core is... a chunk of metal... a damned fancy one... but still basically a chunk of metal.

Don't worry about it... AS works fine on AMD chips... just follow the instructions and you're off and going...

<A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm</A>

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

Auburn9698

Champion
Heh, heh, I left a couple of quarters in a pair of jeans before I washed em yesterday, and boy are they waterlogged! Waiting on them to dry out so I can spend em.

Artic Silver is the favorite thermal compound used reliably by many, many builders out there, AMD or Intel. Who told you it would seep into an AMD core and fock with it?

War Eagle

dhlucke

Polypheme
Who told you this? Did they tell you on April 1st?

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I always use arctic silver on my AMD Cpu. It's a proven and effective choice when you're looking for thermal compounds. Mind you what you might have misinterpreted was if you apply too much it can leak onto the bridges and short them out. That's due to user error though. Follow Artic Silver's guide and you'll have absolutely no problems.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
Thanks a lot, guys. I appreciate the input. The problem I had heard, more specifically, is that the silver in Artic Silver somehow affects the die on a molecular level and, yes, would somehow short parts of it out due to the fact that silver is highly electrically conductive. Apparently it was just somewhat of a myth. I bought some today for the change from my MSI KT4 Ultra board to the shiny new ASUS A7N8x. :wink:

<A HREF="http://rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
as is not electricaly conductive. go back to whoever told you these things and kick them in the nuts.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

Artic Silver III, is definitely #1 in my book, its been an outperformer, in every situation I've used it, regarding your question, one point to leave you with is that, you use just enough to thinly cover the DIE or(Core), by about the thickness of a very thin sheet of paper, the thinner the better, smooth and even as possible. I've seen guys in computer shops just squirt the compound on the CPU, and press the heatsink into the compound, you would think those guys know what they're doing, but they don't. The purpose of the compound is to fill the imperfections between the die and the heatsink and thats all, you'll actually get less performance from too much heatsink compound.

Now the (2 Part), Artic Silver Thermal Compound,(<b>Adhesive</b>), not the CPU Polysynthetic compound, will conduct electricity, theres warnings at the Artic Silver website about it, and how to use it, but thats for installing small heatsinks to video card RAM, and various chipsets, or any situation where you can't have hold down clamps, or some type of securing methods to keep the heatsink in place.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Typical computer store job interviews:

Boss: "What are your qualifications for this job?"

Prospect: "6 years engineering, 2 years in service management, 9 years field service..."

Boss: "Next"

Boss: "What are your qualifications for this job?"

Prospect: "Hey dude, I hit Level 8 in Mungsarg III"

Boss: "When can you start?"

Before I set out on my own, you simply would not believe how often I was told that I was "Overqualified"... like that's even possible...

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Lol! I've heard THAT one before. "Overqualified" is manager-speak for "You are probably too smart to put up with the abuse we give our employees, and you cost too much, and you might actually have original thoughts and stuff, which makes you smarter than me, which is unacceptable..."

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 04/13/03 11:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
:smile: you got it!

It's also a very polite way of saying "You're going to make everyone else here look stupid".

FWIW... I'd trust the others on this BBS with one of my computers long before I'd even consider taking it to one of the local computer stores.

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
Thank you very much. Just the kind of details I was looking for, without the kicks to the nuts! :) I transplanted my XP 2000+ from my KT4 Ultra to my shiny new A7N8x this morning using Artic silver, and the results were amazing. I'm aware that the temp will read slightly lower for the first 72 hours or so, but I'm 7 Deg C lower ( and no, that doesn't mean the last application was screwed up! )! It's running 43C at idle with the Thermaltake 7+ set to low ~3700 rpm.

<A HREF="http://rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rebturtle on 04/13/03 03:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
The problem I had heard, more specifically, is that the silver in Artic Silver somehow affects the die on a molecular level and, yes, would somehow short parts of it out due to the fact that silver is highly electrically conductive
post the link and we will kick his ass. Sounds like Heraldo was the poster.

<i>Reason the only absolute. Irrationality the only enemy. </i>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Before I set out on my own, you simply would not believe how often I was told that I was "Overqualified"... like that's even possible...
The only thing worse than being labeled as 'overqualified' is when you're labeled as 'underqualified' when you're clearly not.

For example, I applied for a job that wanted two years of experience in C++ I had six. On top of that, I knew Assembly, C, FORTRAN, BASIC, SQL, COBOL, Ada, Visual C++/MFC, Visual BASIC, Visual FORTRAN, HTML, JavaScript, and VBScript. (And that's <i>nothing</i> compared to my skills <i>now</i>.) They even had me take a test to see how well I knew C++ and I stumped the guy giving the test by coming up with a solution that he hadn't even thought of. He had to go and program it in to make sure that it would in fact work, because he didn't believe me. (And yet the solution that I had used was pretty obvious and used just an every day ANSI C library.)

Then two weeks later they turn around and tell me that they wanted someone "more experienced". So who did they hire in the end? Some kid just out of college who could barely program his way out of a paper sack even when he already had the source code.

That pissed me off. It's one thing to be told that you're over-qualified. You know it's a stupid statement, but at least it makes you feel good that you're skilled. It's another to be told that you're under-qualified when you clearly aren't. That's just an insult to your skills and your intelligence.

<font color=blue><pre>I'm proud to be an American,
who served my country in the US Air Force,
to protect the rights of my fellow Americans,
to hold protests against others like me.</pre><p></font color=blue>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
In your position, I would be deeply insulted!

I think the strangest job interview I ever went on was for (of all things) cash register service. I had participated in several design projects by that time, includine a couple of Z80 based cash registers, had written the io code in assembler, debugged and integrated the POS code and even trained technicians to service the things... Looking over this section of my resume he asked "What do you know about the Vanguard series?" I replied modestly at first, saying "I've worked on quite a few of them" and he says "Well, we need someone who knows how to do field service on them" and ended the interview... The laugh of it is my resume made it perfectly clear I had designed the exact machine he wouldn't hire me to service!

Lord only knows what goes through these guys heads...

Auburn9698

Champion
Lord only knows what goes through these guys heads...
I think it's something along the lines of "Hey, why don't I just act like an a-hole and spew some diarrhea out of my mouth?"

Sounds like an interview with a real winner.

War Eagle<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Auburn9698 on 04/14/03 02:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Well at the risk of offending W C Fields...
("I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member")

"I wouldn't want to work for any boss who would hire me."

:smile:

But you're right... that dude was a winner.

AMD_me

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
I use Arctic Silver 3 on both of my AMD Tbred B computers, and it works fine. If you are sloppy and get it on the cache you may short out your chip or have a problem getting it cleaned off totally.

Actually, the original concerns of Artic Silver 3 was not getting it on the CPU DIE itself, it was getting it all over the substrate of the XPs with the Lazer pierced holes, and getting it into the holes themselves. The concerns were because Artic Silver 3 looks metallic, it must conduct electricity, well I decided to actually test it for myself, spread a thin layer on a piece of paper, tested on all OHM scales from lead tip points distances, from about 1mm to 30mm spacing, revealed 0 conductivity. So for my record, Artic Silver 3, Premium Silver Polysynthetic Thermal Compound for CPUs, does not conduct electricity.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
If you get the thermal paste in the wrong place, just dip a q-tip in some alcohol and wipe it off... I've never had a problem with it shorting the bridges.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
been there, had that done to me... (my degree & 2 yrs PC support experience vs a diploma (a level below my degree) & no work experience ... I lost somehow) hah, dont think he's still there...

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...