Sign in with
Your question

Problem during Windows 7 installation.....!!!!

Last response: in Windows 7
October 22, 2012 6:26:43 AM

Hello,
My friend has recently upgraded the ram & motherboard while is still using his old core 2 duo processor.
Every time I install windows 7 on my friend's pc, installation goes absolutely fine (you know, extracting and copying files..) but the moment the pc restarts during installation, a simple dash blinks at the top-left corner of the screen. I checked everything, there is no add-on card, no flash drive connected.
I repeated the installation many times, tried both 32-bit & 64-bit versions but the installation doesn’t go beyond that blinking dash.
I re- installed windows xp & it worked fine.
Can anyone please advice me what type of error may be going on during installation?
System Specs:
Processor: Intel Core 2 duo E6300
Motherboard: Intel DG41WV
RAM: 4 GB
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2012 7:42:38 AM

The installation of Windows 7 can hang at that point so give it at least a quarter of an hour before giving up. If it still does not work after waiting then the normal cause of this problem is faulty memory. Windows 7 is much more critical of memory than Windows XP and a system that may work without issues with Windows XP may fail on Windows 7 due to memory problems. Try memtest86 for at least three passes to test the memory, but even if it passes the memory test it can still be memory that is causing the problem, try different memory. Memory faster than 1333Mhz often has to have the memory timings entered into the BIOS.
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2012 8:32:12 AM

Presume Boot Order set to CD/DVD 1st? Though I guess that shouldn't matter at that stage, so why is it not booting from HDD...
You did clean install, formatting the drive 1st?
October 22, 2012 8:52:39 AM

I had a similar problem on a older computer. I actually had to use a vista disc to finish the process, no joke either. This fixed my issue. There are some things on the vista disc that fixed the reboot, I had to swap discs mid way though. I'd google it. Another time i had this issue it was the DVD rom drive. I swaped drives and that fixed the issue.
!