Dell Inspiron 3500 XP problem

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I did a clean install of XP on my inspiron and can only use the right mouse
button and the tap pad but nothing for the left button. When I go into
properties and "switch buttons" its still only the tap pad and right button.
Dell doesn't support XP on this laptop, anyone have any luck, suggeestions?
TIA,
Dave

davidg35 wrote:

> I did a clean install of XP on my inspiron and can only use the right mouse
> button and the tap pad but nothing for the left button. When I go into
> properties and "switch buttons" its still only the tap pad and right button.
> Dell doesn't support XP on this laptop, anyone have any luck, suggeestions?

Install any drivers?

Notan

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Just what the xp default was. The Dell support didn't have anything for XP
on my laptop.
> davidg35 wrote:
>>
>> I did a clean install of XP on my inspiron and can only use the right
>> mouse
>> button and the tap pad but nothing for the left button. When I go into
>> properties and "switch buttons" its still only the tap pad and right
>> button.
>> Dell doesn't support XP on this laptop, anyone have any luck,
>> suggeestions?
>
> Install any drivers?
>
> Notan

David

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Try www.synaptics.com.
They have xp drivers...assuming you have
a synaptics touch pad (you probably do).
Hope this helps.
Dave

no cross posting please. this reply only to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (where it
was read)

are you sure that the left mouse button worked before the install? i have
installed xp on several inspiron 3500 and did not encounter your problem.
installing the synaptics software/driver does provide you control on touch
pad sensitivity including disabling tap to click and also defining touch pad
scroll zones, but the touchpad and buttons should work without the driver.
perhaps the best thing to do it just open the device manager and delete the
touch pad and restart. it will be detected and reloaded on the next start
up and possibly correct itself. i wonder if you updated the system bios to
the latest level before installing xp (but not sure it would have any impact
on the touchpad/mouse).

"davidg35" <davidg35@cox.net> wrote in message
>I did a clean install of XP on my inspiron and can only use the right mouse
>button and the tap pad but nothing for the left button. When I go into
>properties and "switch buttons" its still only the tap pad and right
>button. Dell doesn't support XP on this laptop, anyone have any luck,
>suggeestions?
> TIA,
> Dave

TRENDING THREADS