XP won't boot and C: drive turns empty

Hi,

After powered down from a frozen Windows. Windows XP can't even boot to
safe mode and keeps rebooting. I used the repair console and found that
all the files and folders on the C: drive are gone (listed as empty).

I have tried using CHKDSK and FIXBOOT.

Would you help and tell me what I should do next to restore the
files/folder and Windows?

Thanks a lot.

Zhixin
5 answers Last reply
More about boot drive turns empty

    Hi,

    Power the system off immediately. Remove the drive. Install it in a working
    system, run data recovery tools from the other system. Everytime you try to
    do something on the drive itself, you stand a chance of overwriting the lost
    data. You may want to consider getting a knowledgable friend or technician
    to do this for you. There are many tools available to help recover data.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    <zhixin_han@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > After powered down from a frozen Windows. Windows XP can't even boot to
    > safe mode and keeps rebooting. I used the repair console and found that
    > all the files and folders on the C: drive are gone (listed as empty).
    >
    > I have tried using CHKDSK and FIXBOOT.
    >
    > Would you help and tell me what I should do next to restore the
    > files/folder and Windows?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >

    > Zhixin

    zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:

    > After powered down from a frozen Windows. Windows XP can't even boot to
    > safe mode and keeps rebooting. I used the repair console and found that
    > all the files and folders on the C: drive are gone (listed as empty).

    Hard drive may have died. Check using another pc as the other responder
    suggessted.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    I bought a new disk and now am trying to figure out what was wrong with
    this one.

    Tried to use SeaTools from Seagate (the manufacturer of the disk) to
    diagnose. I can see the disk and the single partition are recognized
    (partition recognized with some inconsistencies but not as failed). But
    when quick and extensive self tests wouldn't go ahead. The SeaTools GUI
    would just freeze after tests were started. So it seems that the disk
    is really dead.

    So now I am trying to recover some data if I can.

    Thank you all for the help.

    Zhixin

    Plato wrote:
    > zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > After powered down from a frozen Windows. Windows XP can't even boot to
    > > safe mode and keeps rebooting. I used the repair console and found that
    > > all the files and folders on the C: drive are gone (listed as empty).
    >
    > Hard drive may have died. Check using another pc as the other responder
    > suggessted.
    >

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Thank you all for the help.

    Took it for repair and I was told that disk was bad and even data
    retrieval wouldn't be easy.

    Just bought a new disk and now am trying to figure out what was wrong
    with
    this one.

    Tried to use SeaTools from Seagate (the manufacturer of the disk) to
    diagnose. I can see the disk and the single NTFS partition are
    recognized
    (partition recognized with some inconsistencies but not as failed). But

    quick and extensive self tests wouldn't go ahead. The SeaTools GUI
    would just freeze after starting the tests. So it seems that the disk
    is really dead. Is is possible that any misplaced data on section 0 is
    preventing the tests from going forward? Or it is just a straight
    hardware
    failure?

    Zhixin

    zhixin_...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I bought a new disk and now am trying to figure out what was wrong with
    > this one.
    >
    > Tried to use SeaTools from Seagate (the manufacturer of the disk) to
    > diagnose. I can see the disk and the single partition are recognized
    > (partition recognized with some inconsistencies but not as failed). But
    > when quick and extensive self tests wouldn't go ahead. The SeaTools GUI
    > would just freeze after tests were started. So it seems that the disk
    > is really dead.
    >
    > So now I am trying to recover some data if I can.
    >
    > Thank you all for the help.
    >

    > Zhixin
    >

    > Plato wrote:
    > > zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > >
    > > > After powered down from a frozen Windows. Windows XP can't even boot to
    > > > safe mode and keeps rebooting. I used the repair console and found that
    > > > all the files and folders on the C: drive are gone (listed as empty).
    > >
    > > Hard drive may have died. Check using another pc as the other responder
    > > suggessted.
    > >

    > > --
    > > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Last night I was trying to use DiskPatch from DIYDataRecovery.com to
    see if I could see and do something on the boot sector and partition
    table and so on. I booted it to DOS but DiskPatch won't run,
    complaining "not enough memory". However, I was glad to see that the
    files and folders are still there on the C: drive.

    So now I can try to fix the boot sector to bring up the Windows again.
    Of course I will try to backup the data first under DOS.

    Regards,

    Zhixin

Boot Windows XP