USB 2.0 or 1.1??

My Dell is a 3 yr. old Dim. 4100 with 2 USB ports in back. I am playing
with the idea of getting a card reader for downloading pics taken with my
digital camera. There is currently a really good deal I can get on a "USB
2.0 Card Reader". Since it's 3 yrs. old would my USB ports be what I
assume is the older 1.1 I have heard of and if so, would a USB 2.0 reader
even work with my USB ports? Thanks.

Marilyn B.

"Marilyn E. Burford" wrote:

> My Dell is a 3 yr. old Dim. 4100 with 2 USB ports in back. I am playing
> with the idea of getting a card reader for downloading pics taken with my
> digital camera. There is currently a really good deal I can get on a "USB
> 2.0 Card Reader". Since it's 3 yrs. old would my USB ports be what I
> assume is the older 1.1 I have heard of and if so, would a USB 2.0 reader
> even work with my USB ports? Thanks.

A USB 2.0 device, plugged into a USB 1.1 port, will work, but will run
at 1.1 speeds.

Larry

which is fast enough for a card reader with digital photos... but not good
for use with a digital *video* camera or an external hard disk... you will
be fine.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Christopher Muto wrote:

> which is fast enough for a card reader with digital photos... but not good
> for use with a digital *video* camera or an external hard disk... you will
> be fine.
>
> "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > "Marilyn E. Burford" wrote:
> > >

> > > My Dell is a 3 yr. old Dim. 4100 with 2 USB ports in back. I am playing
> > > with the idea of getting a card reader for downloading pics taken with
> my
> > > digital camera. There is currently a really good deal I can get on a
> "USB
> > > 2.0 Card Reader". Since it's 3 yrs. old would my USB ports be what I
> > > assume is the older 1.1 I have heard of and if so, would a USB 2.0
> reader
> > > even work with my USB ports? Thanks.
> >
> > A USB 2.0 device, plugged into a USB 1.1 port, will work, but will run
> > at 1.1 speeds.

THanks for all responses :).

Marilyn B.

TRENDING THREADS