Desktop icons dont click open in windows 7

In my experience this type of problem is normally caused by a virus or other malware that has infected your computer. Have you checked and removed any malicious programs? you can try to do a system restore to a time before the problem started, but most malware disables the system restore. Often in these cases it is simply better to just reinstall the operating system.

I agree with pjmelect.

Sometimes you can go into Task Manager and then in the Processes tab and notice that a program is using tons of resources (Cpu usage or Memory usage) and killing that program will let the Desktop icons work.

Deviant Savant

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
I realise that this is an old thread but I have had this problem in the past and also now, this time a cause I can identify down to specific software on a relatively fresh install of Windows 7 x64 but not vanilla. So I thought I would post this incase others find it of use.

I have installed AMD Raptor which is the same gaming software just branded and distributed by AMD driver installation. I was always aprehensive of using this software because when searching oline many said it was malware or at least adware. This was some time ago but since then I thought I would try it because AMD are distributing it and seem to endorse its use. Maybe my trust is misplaced, I do not know if it is spyware or what but then Origin was considered this when their privacy policy or terms of use said they would make an index of all installed files and share that with EA. After they were called out on this they changed their terms/privacy policy and removed that, not sure if they still practice that though. Kind of NSA style, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, I simply exited from Raptor and I am now able to click on my desktop and open programs. It seemed to only affect Firefox while it was running I could not open another window by clicking on desktop icon but I could open another window from within FF itself. Not sure why this conflict or incompatibility is caused. Also this problem may not be the same as the OP but I searched and found this thread so posting here. The surrounding area of the Firefox icon on my desktop was unclickable either right or left click. Nothing happened even though the cursor is visible but once Raptor is closed it was resolved.

TRENDING THREADS