How to:copy recycle bin files

Is there a way to make a copy of all files put into recycle bin or deleted?
Like a dual target directory. Just some way to automatically have a backup
copy of any thing deleted. Something like shadow copy does i guess. What I am
asking is, if a file is moved to the recycle bin, can another copy be put
somewhere else automatically. Like in another " second chance" folder.
TIA
Leper
17 answers Last reply
More about copy recycle files

    Why to copy from Recycle bin? You may restore the file knowing its location.
    Then go at that location and copy that to anywhere. Or you may use drag and
    drop method to copy to other places.
    --
    Regards,
    Pramit Roy

    "Leper" wrote:

    > Is there a way to make a copy of all files put into recycle bin or deleted?
    > Like a dual target directory. Just some way to automatically have a backup
    > copy of any thing deleted. Something like shadow copy does i guess. What I am
    > asking is, if a file is moved to the recycle bin, can another copy be put
    > somewhere else automatically. Like in another " second chance" folder.
    > TIA
    > Leper

    Manually you can "Open it" and then drag 'n' drop to the "copy" location.

    Leper wrote:

    > Is there a way to make a copy of all files put into recycle bin or deleted?
    > Like a dual target directory. Just some way to automatically have a backup
    > copy of any thing deleted. Something like shadow copy does i guess. What I am
    > asking is, if a file is moved to the recycle bin, can another copy be put
    > somewhere else automatically. Like in another " second chance" folder.
    > TIA
    > Leper

    To answer the question "why" that I keep getting asked. I have kids. Kids
    that take a TON of pictures. They keep them for a while and then delete them.
    It has happened many times that they want to get a picture back that they
    have deleted. I was just curious if what I asked could be done. I have basic
    computer skills, but I figured it would not be a big deal to have 2 places a
    file could go. This is the first time I have been on this site and I thought
    someone could help me. Thank you... to the person who offered a solution. My
    original question remains. Can you "automatically" have a file go to 2 places
    at one time? If the answer is a simple "no" I will look into the norton
    re-recycle that someone suggested.

    Leper wrote:

    > To answer the question "why" that I keep getting asked. I have kids. Kids
    > that take a TON of pictures. They keep them for a while and then delete them.
    > It has happened many times that they want to get a picture back that they
    > have deleted. I was just curious if what I asked could be done. I have basic
    > computer skills, but I figured it would not be a big deal to have 2 places a
    > file could go. This is the first time I have been on this site and I thought
    > someone could help me. Thank you... to the person who offered a solution. My
    > original question remains. Can you "automatically" have a file go to 2 places
    > at one time? If the answer is a simple "no" I will look into the norton
    > re-recycle that someone suggested.
    >
    > "Leper" wrote:
    >

    >>Is there a way to make a copy of all files put into recycle bin or deleted?
    >>Like a dual target directory. Just some way to automatically have a backup
    >>copy of any thing deleted. Something like shadow copy does i guess. What I am
    >>asking is, if a file is moved to the recycle bin, can another copy be put
    >>somewhere else automatically. Like in another " second chance" folder.
    >>TIA
    >>Leper

    There is no Norton's re-recyle bin. You're being joked with. One of the
    features on some Norton's products is a recyle bin that replaces XP's
    recycle bin. It performs the same functions.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Leper" <Leper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > To answer the question "why" that I keep getting asked. I have kids. Kids
    > that take a TON of pictures. They keep them for a while and then delete
    > them.
    > It has happened many times that they want to get a picture back that they
    > have deleted. I was just curious if what I asked could be done. I have
    > basic
    > computer skills, but I figured it would not be a big deal to have 2 places
    > file could go. This is the first time I have been on this site and I
    > thought
    > someone could help me. Thank you... to the person who offered a solution.
    > My
    > original question remains. Can you "automatically" have a file go to 2
    > places
    > at one time? If the answer is a simple "no" I will look into the norton
    > re-recycle that someone suggested.
    >
    > "Leper" wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to make a copy of all files put into recycle bin or
    >> deleted?
    >> Like a dual target directory. Just some way to automatically have a
    >> backup
    >> copy of any thing deleted. Something like shadow copy does i guess. What
    >> I am
    >> asking is, if a file is moved to the recycle bin, can another copy be put
    >> somewhere else automatically. Like in another " second chance" folder.
    >> TIA
    >> Leper

    If you have a CD burner on your computer, why not burn the pictures to a CD
    then delete the pictures, store the CD away and then if they want the
    pictures later, have them search through all the CDs till they find the one
    they want. Benefit is that CDs are cheap, easy to create, will normally
    last longer than a hard drive and can't be accidentally deleted from
    (assuming a read only CD.)

    > Is there a way to make a copy of all files put into recycle bin or
    > deleted?
    > Like a dual target directory. Just some way to automatically have a backup
    > copy of any thing deleted. Something like shadow copy does i guess. What I
    > am
    > asking is, if a file is moved to the recycle bin, can another copy be put
    > somewhere else automatically. Like in another " second chance" folder.
    > TIA
    > Leper

    A "second chance" folder? The act of deleting a file is a pretty deliberate
    act, you first have to select the file or files and then click File, the
    Delete or right click and select delete. If you want a 2nd chance you
    already have that via the recycle bin. How many chances do you want windows
    to give you to not delete a file?

    Or Nortons ReRecycle Bin!

    JustMe wrote:

    > "Leper" <Leper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is there a way to make a copy of all files put into recycle bin or
    >>deleted?
    >>Like a dual target directory. Just some way to automatically have a backup
    >>copy of any thing deleted. Something like shadow copy does i guess. What I
    >>am
    >>asking is, if a file is moved to the recycle bin, can another copy be put
    >>somewhere else automatically. Like in another " second chance" folder.
    >>TIA
    >>Leper
    >

    > A "second chance" folder? The act of deleting a file is a pretty deliberate
    > act, you first have to select the file or files and then click File, the
    > Delete or right click and select delete. If you want a 2nd chance you
    > already have that via the recycle bin. How many chances do you want windows
    > to give you to not delete a file?

    The answer is no! Not unless YOU redesign the recycle bin utility. If you
    "pay" for 3rd party software you can get what you want. You see, others have
    already done this - for a charge. You can use Executive Software Undelete
    or Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    "Leper" <Leper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > To answer the question "why" that I keep getting asked. I have kids. Kids
    > that take a TON of pictures. They keep them for a while and then delete
    > them.
    > It has happened many times that they want to get a picture back that they
    > have deleted. I was just curious if what I asked could be done. I have
    > basic
    > computer skills, but I figured it would not be a big deal to have 2 places
    > file could go. This is the first time I have been on this site and I
    > thought
    > someone could help me. Thank you... to the person who offered a solution.
    > My
    > original question remains. Can you "automatically" have a file go to 2
    > places
    > at one time? If the answer is a simple "no" I will look into the norton
    > re-recycle that someone suggested.
    >
    > "Leper" wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to make a copy of all files put into recycle bin or
    >> deleted?
    >> Like a dual target directory. Just some way to automatically have a
    >> backup
    >> copy of any thing deleted. Something like shadow copy does i guess. What
    >> I am
    >> asking is, if a file is moved to the recycle bin, can another copy be put
    >> somewhere else automatically. Like in another " second chance" folder.
    >> TIA
    >> Leper

    Thank you Richard Urban for actually answering my question. Out of 10 replies
    with everything but an answer, THANK YOU.
    In a response to some of the other replies, I asked a question. A simple
    question with a simple answer, "can it be done", yes or no. I tried the cd
    thing and ended up with 20 cds of my cat alone. Of all the forums I am on for
    other things, I have never recieved so many replies of garbage. This is the
    first and last time I will post here.
    MODS PLEASE DELETE

    Leper wrote:

    > This is the first and last time I will post here.

    That's a GOOD thing.

    "=?Utf-8?B?TGVwZXI=?=" <Leper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Thank you Richard Urban for actually answering my question. Out of 10
    > replies with everything but an answer, THANK YOU.
    > In a response to some of the other replies, I asked a question. A
    > simple question with a simple answer, "can it be done", yes or no. I
    > tried the cd thing and ended up with 20 cds of my cat alone. Of all
    > the forums I am on for other things, I have never recieved so many
    > replies of garbage. This is the first and last time I will post here.
    > MODS PLEASE DELETE

    MODS !? DOH !!!!! (this isn't a web forum, and posts can't be deleted).

    I see 10 replies under your OP (original post) and the only garbage post
    is the one about 'Norton Re-Recycle Bin'.

    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> The answer is no! Not unless YOU redesign the recycle bin utility. If
    >> you "pay" for 3rd party software you can get what you want. You see,
    >> others have already done this - for a charge. You can use Executive
    >> Software Undelete or Norton Protected Recycle Bin.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "Leper" <Leper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > To answer the question "why" that I keep getting asked. I have
    >> > kids. Kids that take a TON of pictures. They keep them for a while
    >> > and then delete them.
    >> > It has happened many times that they want to get a picture back
    >> > that they have deleted. I was just curious if what I asked could be
    >> > done. I have basic
    >> > computer skills, but I figured it would not be a big deal to have 2
    >> > places a
    >> > file could go. This is the first time I have been on this site and
    >> > I thought
    >> > someone could help me. Thank you... to the person who offered a
    >> > solution. My
    >> > original question remains. Can you "automatically" have a file go
    >> > to 2 places
    >> > at one time? If the answer is a simple "no" I will look into the
    >> > norton re-recycle that someone suggested.

    "JustMe" <ohmygosh@wowspam.com> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > A "second chance" folder? The act of deleting a file is a pretty
    > deliberate act, you first have to select the file or files and then
    > click File, the Delete or right click and select delete. If you want
    > a 2nd chance you already have that via the recycle bin. How many
    > chances do you want windows to give you to not delete a file?

    I would have to generally agree with that but.....

    The standard US keyboard layout has the 'Delete' key in a group of keys
    named 'Insert', 'Home', 'End', 'Page Up' and 'Page Down'. I can totally
    see someone accidentally hitting the 'Delete' key instead of 'End' or
    'Home' key, since presing 'Delete' also removes the file(s), not just
    'File'->'Delete' or right-click->'Delete'.

    And IF you are set up safely, you get a confirmation popup - "do you really
    want to". It sure sounds like a deliberate act to me!

    --

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > And IF you are set up safely, you get a confirmation popup - "do you
    > really want to". It sure sounds like a deliberate act to me!

    I have ALWAYS disabled that confirmation. I'm sure you may disagree, but in
    my experience, when I have deleted a file that I shouldn't have, I realize
    it immediately after pressing delete or clicking on the context menu
    delete. Like....hold control, mark , mark, mark, delete, cr*p, open recycle
    bin, restore one file, all good.

    But I have NEVER enabled 'Don't send files to the recycle bin'. That is
    just asking for heartbreak.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVwZXI=?= wrote:

    > Is there a way to make a copy of all files put into recycle bin or deleted?
    > Like a dual target directory. Just some way to automatically have a backup
    > copy of any thing deleted. Something like shadow copy does i guess. What I am
    > asking is, if a file is moved to the recycle bin, can another copy be put
    > somewhere else automatically. Like in another " second chance" folder.

    Files ARE NOT MOVED TO THE RECYCLE bin. A pointer is simply made there
    so if you decide to empty the bin the pointer then finds the file to
    delete.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVwZXI=?= wrote:

    > To answer the question "why" that I keep getting asked. I have kids. Kids
    > that take a TON of pictures. They keep them for a while and then delete them.
    > It has happened many times that they want to get a picture back that they
    > have deleted. I was just curious if what I asked could be done. I have basic

    Have them burn the pictures to cd on a regular basis.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Apologies for the rant. Very bad day here. I appreciate all of your responses.
    Again, I am sorry for my post.

    "Leper" wrote:

    > Is there a way to make a copy of all files put into recycle bin or deleted?
    > Like a dual target directory. Just some way to automatically have a backup
    > copy of any thing deleted. Something like shadow copy does i guess. What I am
    > asking is, if a file is moved to the recycle bin, can another copy be put
    > somewhere else automatically. Like in another " second chance" folder.
    > TIA
    > Leper

Microsoft Windows XP