Daemion

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2005

On one of our new Dell Optiplex 170L computers, we have a user that cannot
log into the domain on that pc and that pc only. Every other user can log on
to it without problems, and she can login from any other pc on the network
but that one. Can anyone help?

Here is the error message she receives:
The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are
correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed
using the correct case.

"Daemion" <Daemion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On one of our new Dell Optiplex 170L computers, we have a user that cannot
> log into the domain on that pc and that pc only. Every other user can log
> on
> to it without problems, and she can login from any other pc on the network
> but that one. Can anyone help?
>
> Here is the error message she receives:
> The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are
> correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be
> typed
> using the correct case.

Any errors in the event logs on the workstation or the domain controller?

Kerry

Daemion wrote:
> On one of our new Dell Optiplex 170L computers, we have a user that cannot
> log into the domain on that pc and that pc only. Every other user can log on
> to it without problems, and she can login from any other pc on the network
> but that one. Can anyone help?
>
> Here is the error message she receives:
> The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are
> correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed
> using the correct case.

Logged on as administrator copy any important documents out of her
profile folder on the machine. Then delete her profile by going to
System in the Control Panel, Advanced tab. Click Settings under User
Profiles, select her profile from the list and click Delete.

See if she can then log onto that machine.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Daemion

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2005

She has no folder in documents and settings, and no user profile to delete.

I have also tried adding her to various security groups, administrator,
power-users, etc. She still is unable to log on.

"Tom Porterfield" wrote:

> Daemion wrote:
> > On one of our new Dell Optiplex 170L computers, we have a user that cannot
> > log into the domain on that pc and that pc only. Every other user can log on
> > to it without problems, and she can login from any other pc on the network
> > but that one. Can anyone help?
> >
> > Here is the error message she receives:
> > The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are
> > correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed
> > using the correct case.
>
> Logged on as administrator copy any important documents out of her
> profile folder on the machine. Then delete her profile by going to
> System in the Control Panel, Advanced tab. Click Settings under User
> Profiles, select her profile from the list and click Delete.
>
> See if she can then log onto that machine.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP Windows
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Daemion

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2005

No errors or warnings were logged on the workstation or domain controller

> No errors or warnings were logged on the workstation or domain controller

It was a stab in the dark. I'd load Network Monitor or something similar and
capture the packets during the logon to see what's happening.

Kerry