System Restore after defragmentation

Will the system restore points be affected by:
1.Scan system for viruses then use adaware/spybot to check for problems
then-

2.Doing a system cleanup by deleting the temp directory,using the internet
options (accessed via control panel) to delete the temp internet files, then
do a disk cleanup in system tools , and finally do a disk defragmentation?

I guess my bottom line question is
"DOES A DEFRAGENTATION AFFECT SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS"

Thanks in advance

Installer

Distinguished
May 8, 2005

Hello , , *First af all :::: I always select "Analyze" button and let the
computer make the decision to defragmentate or no . This is important and
recommended . I never defragmentate just to try and soup-up the pc . Over
doing this perticular type of "cleaning up" may ... screw things up anyways .
Restore points as you "may" know are for the existing uploaded and downloaded
and even "saved programs" for later installation , that were created by the
user ... to be romoved . If you kept a record of every program downloaded per
say between 30 days ago until today , you of course would know exactly what
is about to be removed . Select a date of restore point and remove .
*Defragmentate when directed to . Run Spyware remover and anti-virus scans ,
remove temporary internet files , Disc cleanup , all you want . Removing
those temp files will at worst slow down a web page from opening just a
littlebit when or if you return to it , because the cookies are removed .

--
KD

"MedRxman" wrote:

> Will the system restore points be affected by:
> 1.Scan system for viruses then use adaware/spybot to check for problems
> then-
>
> 2.Doing a system cleanup by deleting the temp directory,using the internet
> options (accessed via control panel) to delete the temp internet files, then
> do a disk cleanup in system tools , and finally do a disk defragmentation?
>
> I guess my bottom line question is
> "DOES A DEFRAGENTATION AFFECT SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS"
>
> Thanks in advance

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Installer wrote:

> Hello , , *First af all :::: I always select "Analyze" button and let the
> computer make the decision to defragmentate or no . This is important and
> recommended .

<snip>

So you always select analyze first. Why is it important and by whom is
it recommeneded? What is the downside to not doing analyze first?

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

martin

MedRxman wrote:

> I guess my bottom line question is
> "DOES A DEFRAGENTATION AFFECT SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS"

No, not as far as i'm aware.

--
Best Wishes from Martin

So many questions, so few answers.

PGP Key ID, 0x581E4CE1

Hi,

Affect restore points in what way?

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

MedRxman wrote:
> Will the system restore points be affected by:
> 1.Scan system for viruses then use adaware/spybot to
> check for problems then-
>
> 2.Doing a system cleanup by deleting the temp
> directory,using the internet options (accessed via
> control panel) to delete the temp internet files, then do
> a disk cleanup in system tools , and finally do a disk
> defragmentation?
> I guess my bottom line question is
> "DOES A DEFRAGENTATION AFFECT SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS"
>
> Thanks in advance

Not Working
"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Affect restore points in what way?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> MedRxman wrote:
>> Will the system restore points be affected by:
>> 1.Scan system for viruses then use adaware/spybot to
>> check for problems then-
>>
>> 2.Doing a system cleanup by deleting the temp
>> directory,using the internet options (accessed via
>> control panel) to delete the temp internet files, then do
>> a disk cleanup in system tools , and finally do a disk
>> defragmentation?
>> I guess my bottom line question is
>> "DOES A DEFRAGENTATION AFFECT SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS"
>>
>> Thanks in advance

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
Click on System in the left pane.
Click the gray title “Source” at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
information for each of the two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
System Restore Failures to restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

--

MedRxman wrote:
> Not Working
> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Affect restore points in what way?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://bertk.mvps.org
>>

>> MedRxman wrote:
>>> Will the system restore points be affected by:
>>> 1.Scan system for viruses then use adaware/spybot to
>>> check for problems then-
>>>
>>> 2.Doing a system cleanup by deleting the temp
>>> directory,using the internet options (accessed via
>>> control panel) to delete the temp internet files, then
>>> do a disk cleanup in system tools , and finally do a
>>> disk defragmentation?
>>> I guess my bottom line question is
>>> "DOES A DEFRAGENTATION AFFECT SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS"
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance

Did not have "sr" or "sr service"
I believe the reason for my not being able to use the created restore points
was possibly due to improper shutdowns.
I sync a Palm base PDA with my laptop and occasionally would get the dreaded
"BSOD". After researching and finally confirming with PalmOne, the reason
for the "BSOD" was due to the fact that Palm USB drivers do not work well
with Dual CPUs or hyperthreading OS. I have reset the affinity to "0" via
Task Manager prior to a sync and this has eliminated the "BSOD"

Did the disk cleanup routine again, turned off then on again the system
restore feature, made subsequent restore points and all work.
Even added a program and restored earlier restore point where newly added
program would not work then undid the last restore and all worked well.

I would think that after a bad shutdown it would be advisable to start a new
set of restore points.

I also try to remember to create a restore point prior to adding a new
program.

Thanks

> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
>
> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> Click on System in the left pane.
> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the
> right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the
> two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event information
> to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the two event here.
> This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
> System Restore Failures to restore:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
> System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> MedRxman wrote:
>> Not Working
>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Affect restore points in what way?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>>> http://bertk.mvps.org

From "SRSERVICE"

Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 111
Date: 8/10/2005
Time: 2:28:16 PM
User: N/A
Computer: BERYL
A restoration to "MyCheckpoint" restore point failed. No changes have been
made to the system.

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message

> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
>
> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> Click on System in the left pane.
> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the
> right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the
> two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event information
> to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the two event here.
> This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
> System Restore Failures to restore:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
> System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> MedRxman wrote:
>> Not Working
>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Affect restore points in what way?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>>> http://bertk.mvps.org

Hi,

It appears that System Restore functioning correctly and the issue is resolved.

--

MedRxman wrote:
> Did not have "sr" or "sr service"
> I believe the reason for my not being able to use the
> created restore points was possibly due to improper
> shutdowns. I sync a Palm base PDA with my laptop and occasionally
> would get the dreaded "BSOD". After researching and
> finally confirming with PalmOne, the reason for the
> "BSOD" was due to the fact that Palm USB drivers do not
> work well with Dual CPUs or hyperthreading OS. I have
> reset the affinity to "0" via Task Manager prior to a
> sync and this has eliminated the "BSOD"
> Did the disk cleanup routine again, turned off then on
> again the system restore feature, made subsequent restore
> points and all work. Even added a program and restored earlier restore point
> where newly added program would not work then undid the
> last restore and all worked well.
> I would think that after a bad shutdown it would be
> advisable to start a new set of restore points.
>
> I also try to remember to create a restore point prior to
> adding a new program.
>

> Thanks
>

> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in
>> Windows XP. Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
>> Click on System in the left pane.
>> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source
>> name column in the right pane to sort by source name,
>> look for "sr" and "srservice". Double click on each of these events, then click on the
>> button below the two arrows in the upper right corner.
>> This will copy the event information to the clipboard.
>> Paste the information for each of the two event here.
>> This will help us in diagnosing the problem. System Restore Failures to restore:
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>> System Restore fails to create an automatic restore
>> point: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://bertk.mvps.org

Hi,

This event log is from 8/10, before the System Restore problem was fixed.