Intel chip for video editing, Core 2. i3 or i5?

I am looking to buy a laptop for some minor video editing. Which chip will serve best with a budget of $1100?
The Core 2 Duo, the i3 or i5?
I like the i5 because is has the Intel boost technology.3 Will that help when it comes to video editing tasks?
7 answers Last reply
More about intel chip video editing core
  1. The i5 is the superior processor--especially if its a quad core version. Video editing is quite CPU intensive.. so i would get the best processor you can. You can probably even get some i7s in that price range.

The i3 is very similar to the Core 2 Duo.. it generally should just have some superior power usage/performance. Depending on which C2D model some of the high end ones are as good as an i3.
  2. This is a very good deal. Having a decent graphic card may help in some situations as well. (Some CS4 programs can leverage GPU support.)

$999 - Lenovo IdeaPad Y550P(324156U) NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146613

Ideally a little more ram might be helpful for video editing--but thats difficult to find cheaply in laptops.

You should be able to get an i5 or i7 dell in this price range too. I suggest the Studio XPS 16--as it comes with better graphics.
  3. MSI has an i5 with a 500GB drive for 599.99
  4. Hey guys... this post went dormant a long time ago. jtrent just failed to look at the time stamp when he added on..
  5. deadlockedworld said:
    Hey guys... this post went dormant a long time ago. jtrent just failed to look at the time stamp when he added on..

That's ok I am bored at the end of my shift at work anyway.
  6. Point being, it is available for 599.99 at Frys, as opposed to the 1100. OP thought he would have to spend. Consider that current and viable.
Ask a new question

Read More

Core Chip Video Editing Intel Intel i5 Laptops Product