GMT hardware time possible?

Is there a utility, setting, or whatever that will allow Windows XP to
understand the hardware (BIOS) clock as being set to GMT while using local
time within Windows.

I have a computer that dual boots to Windows XP and Linux. Linux can be set
to understand the hardware clock as set to local time. But this is a
suboptimal solution. The first hour in the fall switch from daylight time to
standard time repeats the last hour of daylight time thereby making the
hardware clock ambiguous. While this issue is a fairly minor irritation,
there is a more important one. Who is going to update the hardware clock
every spring and fall time change, Windows or Linux? I suppose it *should*
be whatever OS I happen to boot into that morning. But this is not a
possible answer since an OS can't know that.

The Windows practice of assuming the hardware clock to be local time is a
throwback to the days when a PC had no CMOS battery and the hardware clock
had to be set every time you turned on the computer. It really would be nice
if Windows allowed its users to dispense with this archaicism. In general, I
don't like to set computers up to dual boot. However, this is my laptop, I
pay the mortgage by working in both worlds, and I need the laptop to dual
boot.

Malke

jmnorris wrote:

> Is there a utility, setting, or whatever that will allow Windows XP to
> understand the hardware (BIOS) clock as being set to GMT while using
> local time within Windows.
>
> I have a computer that dual boots to Windows XP and Linux.

(snip)

No. If you dual-boot, you have to decide whether you're going to set
Linux to local time like Windows and manually change the clock twice a
year or go with GMT and adjust Windows. On the one computer where I
dual-boot XP and SuSE, I almost never boot into XP so I have Linux set
to machine time. Whenever I go into Windows, the time will be off. Oh
well. I guess your decision will be based on how much time you spend in
each operating system. For me, since XP is only on that laptop for
emergencies, it really doesn't matter and I can adjust the time (or not
bother) in Windows if I have to.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers