Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 power user vs user permissions

Last response: in Windows 7
March 30, 2010 2:15:00 PM

With the power user group gone in Windows 7, has the standard User now gotten the permissions that the Power User had?
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2010 5:30:53 PM

The Power Users group is maintained only for compatibility with legacy applications only. Standard users in windows 7 do NOT have power users access.

With the Power Users group in Windows 7 and Vista, the elevated privileges have been removed. Therefore, if you require elevated privileges, you'd still have to do a "Run As Admin" option in order to get those elevated privs.
m
l
March 30, 2010 5:40:52 PM

We're starting to look at moving from XP to W7 for our users. I'm waiting for a laptop to arrive with W7 installed to test. Can we then just continue as before adding AD users and groups to the local power users group? Question to all ... how are companies who are moving from XP to W7 handling local permissions at the desktop/laptop?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2010 5:42:29 PM

BigAl06 said:
We're starting to look at moving from XP to W7 for our users. I'm waiting for a laptop to arrive with W7 installed to test. Can we then just continue as before adding AD users and groups to the local power users group? Question to all ... how are companies who are moving from XP to W7 handling local permissions at the desktop/laptop?

A lot of that is going to require extensive testing to see if any legacy apps are affected by the move. I know within our company, they are currently using labs set up with clean Windows 7 machines and loading all the commercial and internally developed apps we currently use onto them and doing extensive testing.
m
l
March 30, 2010 5:45:18 PM

I had a feeling that was the answer. You would think that Microsoft would have some sort of a white paper on the subject to make migration a bit easier. Thanks.
m
l
April 28, 2011 6:15:38 PM

I have been running Win7 for over a year in my bank. I do miss the power user group, but using a GPO to grant the needed local permissions has been a valid workaround. If you have the resources to setup a lab, then do it. If you are a one man shop, then the lab will be a machine you have and then rolling out one more machine at a time until you are sure that everything does work.

One of the issues that I don't like about Win7 is that on the domain, when your password expires, there is no longer a in-a-window notice that you have to click to dismiss, but rather a tool-tip-type pop-up at the bottom of the screen that goes away by itself. I had several users that just never really saw it. Had to write a login script that does the same old thing so users would realize their password was expiring.
m
l
!