Memory Speed Question

Mike

Splendid

According to CPU-Z the memory in my 8400 is DDR2-SDRAM PC3200, but
only 200 MHz! I thought it was supposed to be 400 MHz for PC3200. Is
that typically correct? Anyone know of a utility other than CPU-Z I
could use to check the speed of my memory? Thanks.

Mike

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

"Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
> According to CPU-Z the memory in my 8400 is DDR2-SDRAM PC3200, but
> only 200 MHz! I thought it was supposed to be 400 MHz for PC3200. Is
> that typically correct? Anyone know of a utility other than CPU-Z I
> could use to check the speed of my memory? Thanks.
>
> Mike

http://www.ddrsdrammemory.com/which_ddr_ram.html

SteveR

Mike wrote:

> According to CPU-Z the memory in my 8400 is DDR2-SDRAM PC3200, but
> only 200 MHz! I thought it was supposed to be 400 MHz for PC3200. Is
> that typically correct? Anyone know of a utility other than CPU-Z I
> could use to check the speed of my memory? Thanks.
>
> Mike

DDR memory must be installed in pairs to run in dual data rate. The
single data rate for PC3200 is 200MHz, most likely you have only one
stick. Fortunately, RAM is simple to install (but read a quick guide
online anyway), and PC3200 can generally be had pretty cheap these days.

SteveR wrote:
> "Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
>
>>According to CPU-Z the memory in my 8400 is DDR2-SDRAM PC3200, but
>>only 200 MHz! I thought it was supposed to be 400 MHz for PC3200. Is
>>that typically correct? Anyone know of a utility other than CPU-Z I
>>could use to check the speed of my memory? Thanks.
>>
>>Mike
>

> http://www.ddrsdrammemory.com/which_ddr_ram.html

How old is that info?

Mike

Splendid

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:56:58 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
<sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>DDR memory must be installed in pairs to run in dual data rate. The
>single data rate for PC3200 is 200MHz, most likely you have only one
>stick. Fortunately, RAM is simple to install (but read a quick guide
>online anyway), and PC3200 can generally be had pretty cheap these days.

I have 2 sticks of 512 Megs. I checked under the hood to make sure
both were there and System Properties (right clicking My Computer |
Properties shows I have 1 Gig or RAM as I should. Thanks for the
info.

Mike

Mike wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:56:58 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
> <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>DDR memory must be installed in pairs to run in dual data rate. The
>>single data rate for PC3200 is 200MHz, most likely you have only one
>>stick. Fortunately, RAM is simple to install (but read a quick guide
>>online anyway), and PC3200 can generally be had pretty cheap these days.
>

> I have 2 sticks of 512 Megs. I checked under the hood to make sure
> both were there and System Properties (right clicking My Computer |
> Properties shows I have 1 Gig or RAM as I should. Thanks for the
> info.
>
> Mike

I just checked cpu-z, and my 2x512MB sticks are listed as 200MHz (well
204, which my FSB is set at) as well. The key thing to notice though is
# of Channels, as long as it says dual you're running at 400MHz.

Not true. DDR is DDR. It does not matter whether it is a single stick or
not. PC3200 is 200Mhz DDR (400Mhz effective) as long as the system supports
that speed. DDR must be installed in identical pairs (in slots 1&3 or 2&4
for P4 and 1&2 or 3&4 for Athlon 64) for Dual Channel to work though.

Tweek wrote:

> Not true. DDR is DDR. It does not matter whether it is a single stick or
> not. PC3200 is 200Mhz DDR (400Mhz effective) as long as the system supports
> that speed. DDR must be installed in identical pairs (in slots 1&3 or 2&4
> for P4 and 1&2 or 3&4 for Athlon 64) for Dual Channel to work though.

I apologize if it was unclear to you, but that's what I was trying to
get across. You need two PC3200 DIMM's to get the avertised 400MHz
rate, if you only have one stick you're limited to 200MHz (obviously
assuming your mobo supports it). Also be sure to read your
motherboard's manual before installing RAM; my buddy picked up a Pentium
4 mobo over the weekend which supports DDR (must be in slots 1&2) & DDR2
(must be in slots 3&4) -- note that's the slot setup you listed for AMD.

> "Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Mike wrote:
>>

>>>According to CPU-Z the memory in my 8400 is DDR2-SDRAM PC3200, but
>>>only 200 MHz! I thought it was supposed to be 400 MHz for PC3200. Is
>>>that typically correct? Anyone know of a utility other than CPU-Z I
>>>could use to check the speed of my memory? Thanks.
>>>
>>>Mike
>>
>>DDR memory must be installed in pairs to run in dual data rate. The
>>single data rate for PC3200 is 200MHz, most likely you have only one
>>stick. Fortunately, RAM is simple to install (but read a quick guide
>>online anyway), and PC3200 can generally be had pretty cheap these days.

TRENDING THREADS