Disabling Pavilion xt933 on board video

parker

Does anyone know how to disable the on board video display for a
pavilion xt933? Something went wrong and nothing is displayed on the
monitor. The monitor was tested on another computer and works. I put a
new video card in but the on board video seems to override the card.
Also, how about disabling the on board sound?

thanks.

Does the Pavilion XT933 have a malfunctioning video subsystem or is the computer
simply just plain broken? This fundamental question needs to be asked and
answered with certainty before anything else... Ben Myers

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:57:36 -0400, "Parker" <malpar@dejazzd.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know how to disable the on board video display for a
>pavilion xt933? Something went wrong and nothing is displayed on the
>monitor. The monitor was tested on another computer and works. I put a
>new video card in but the on board video seems to override the card.
>Also, how about disabling the on board sound?
>
>thanks.

parker

In my search I have read that if the video system is bad I would hear three
beeps. I have not heard any beeps. The monitor works. I am assuming the
computer is still good, it goes through its normal startup (that I can
tell). It stops when it would be asking for signin. I can't be sure because
i can't see anything. Also, in my search I've read that the on board video
cannot be disabled. Any thoughts? Thanks for replying. I'm new at this and
I'm not sure I should be replying to the group or the sender. I'm replying
to the group. I hope that's right.
> Does the Pavilion XT933 have a malfunctioning video subsystem or is the
> computer
> simply just plain broken? This fundamental question needs to be asked and
> answered with certainty before anything else... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:57:36 -0400, "Parker" <malpar@dejazzd.com> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know how to disable the on board video display for a
>>pavilion xt933? Something went wrong and nothing is displayed on the
>>monitor. The monitor was tested on another computer and works. I put a
>>new video card in but the on board video seems to override the card.
>>Also, how about disabling the on board sound?
>>
>>thanks.

Replying to the newsgroup is appropriate because someone else reading this
thread may have some suggestions.

The motherboard is made for HP by Trigem, a South Korean manufacturer.
Unfortunately, HP supplies absolutely zero in the way of detailed specifcations
for Pavilions, only some sketchy info on its web site. The Trigem web site is
pretty useless, too.

For the most part, modern motherboards do not need anything done to them to
switch to another video card. Since the motherboard is a bit older(but still
modern), it is probably not capable of working with a PCI video card designed to
adhere rigorously to the PCI 2.2 specification. Check the specs for the card
you installed, or get an older fairly moldy cheap PCI card to try. Also install
the PCI graphics card in different PCI slots. The motherboard design may
somehow limit the placement of an add-in graphics card, which would be pretty
stupid design but not unprecedented.

Finally, open up the case and inspect the capacitors on the motherboard. If the
capacitors are either bulging or leaking dielectric, then the motherboard may
well be toast... Ben Myers

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:34:17 -0400, "Parker" <malpar@dejazzd.com> wrote:

>In my search I have read that if the video system is bad I would hear three
>beeps. I have not heard any beeps. The monitor works. I am assuming the
>computer is still good, it goes through its normal startup (that I can
>tell). It stops when it would be asking for signin. I can't be sure because
>i can't see anything. Also, in my search I've read that the on board video
>cannot be disabled. Any thoughts? Thanks for replying. I'm new at this and
>I'm not sure I should be replying to the group or the sender. I'm replying
>to the group. I hope that's right.
>> Does the Pavilion XT933 have a malfunctioning video subsystem or is the
>> computer
>> simply just plain broken? This fundamental question needs to be asked and
>> answered with certainty before anything else... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:57:36 -0400, "Parker" <malpar@dejazzd.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know how to disable the on board video display for a
>>>pavilion xt933? Something went wrong and nothing is displayed on the
>>>monitor. The monitor was tested on another computer and works. I put a
>>>new video card in but the on board video seems to override the card.
>>>Also, how about disabling the on board sound?
>>>
>>>thanks.

parker

Thanks for the reply Ben. Yesterday I had 5 different windows open to
various sources. The computer was rebooted so I lost all of them. One showed
the settings for the 2 possible motherboards. Another mention capacitors
either bulging or leaking dielectric. So today I looked at the motherboard
and saw no bulging or leaking. The video card I used was from a Pentium 1
166 it probably is not a plug and play device. So the next step is to get a
better video card.

> Replying to the newsgroup is appropriate because someone else reading this
> thread may have some suggestions.
>
> The motherboard is made for HP by Trigem, a South Korean manufacturer.
> Unfortunately, HP supplies absolutely zero in the way of detailed
> specifcations
> for Pavilions, only some sketchy info on its web site. The Trigem web
> site is
> pretty useless, too.
>
> For the most part, modern motherboards do not need anything done to them
> switch to another video card. Since the motherboard is a bit older(but
> still
> modern), it is probably not capable of working with a PCI video card
> designed to
> adhere rigorously to the PCI 2.2 specification. Check the specs for the
> card
> you installed, or get an older fairly moldy cheap PCI card to try. Also
> install
> the PCI graphics card in different PCI slots. The motherboard design may
> somehow limit the placement of an add-in graphics card, which would be
> pretty
> stupid design but not unprecedented.
>
> Finally, open up the case and inspect the capacitors on the motherboard.
> If the
> capacitors are either bulging or leaking dielectric, then the motherboard
> may
> well be toast... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:34:17 -0400, "Parker" <malpar@dejazzd.com> wrote:
>
>>In my search I have read that if the video system is bad I would hear
>>three
>>beeps. I have not heard any beeps. The monitor works. I am assuming the
>>computer is still good, it goes through its normal startup (that I can
>>tell). It stops when it would be asking for signin. I can't be sure
>>because
>>i can't see anything. Also, in my search I've read that the on board video
>>cannot be disabled. Any thoughts? Thanks for replying. I'm new at this and
>>I'm not sure I should be replying to the group or the sender. I'm replying
>>to the group. I hope that's right.
>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>> Does the Pavilion XT933 have a malfunctioning video subsystem or is the
>>> computer
>>> simply just plain broken? This fundamental question needs to be asked
>>> and
>>> answered with certainty before anything else... Ben Myers

An older PCI video card from the era of the original Pentium is still
plug-and-play, but trying another card won't hurt. PCI cards, by their very
definition, are PnP.

A Power On Self Test (POST) card is indispensible in isolating system problems.
POST cards are inexpensive now and most often found in computer repair shops.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:11:35 -0400, "Parker" <malpar@dejazzd.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply Ben. Yesterday I had 5 different windows open to
>various sources. The computer was rebooted so I lost all of them. One showed
>the settings for the 2 possible motherboards. Another mention capacitors
>either bulging or leaking dielectric. So today I looked at the motherboard
>and saw no bulging or leaking. The video card I used was from a Pentium 1
>166 it probably is not a plug and play device. So the next step is to get a
>better video card.

>> Replying to the newsgroup is appropriate because someone else reading this
>> thread may have some suggestions.
>>
>> The motherboard is made for HP by Trigem, a South Korean manufacturer.
>> Unfortunately, HP supplies absolutely zero in the way of detailed
>> specifcations
>> for Pavilions, only some sketchy info on its web site. The Trigem web
>> site is
>> pretty useless, too.
>>
>> For the most part, modern motherboards do not need anything done to them
>> switch to another video card. Since the motherboard is a bit older(but
>> still
>> modern), it is probably not capable of working with a PCI video card
>> designed to
>> adhere rigorously to the PCI 2.2 specification. Check the specs for the
>> card
>> you installed, or get an older fairly moldy cheap PCI card to try. Also
>> install
>> the PCI graphics card in different PCI slots. The motherboard design may
>> somehow limit the placement of an add-in graphics card, which would be
>> pretty
>> stupid design but not unprecedented.
>>
>> Finally, open up the case and inspect the capacitors on the motherboard.
>> If the
>> capacitors are either bulging or leaking dielectric, then the motherboard
>> may
>> well be toast... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:34:17 -0400, "Parker" <malpar@dejazzd.com> wrote:
>>
>>>In my search I have read that if the video system is bad I would hear
>>>three
>>>beeps. I have not heard any beeps. The monitor works. I am assuming the
>>>computer is still good, it goes through its normal startup (that I can
>>>tell). It stops when it would be asking for signin. I can't be sure
>>>because
>>>i can't see anything. Also, in my search I've read that the on board video
>>>cannot be disabled. Any thoughts? Thanks for replying. I'm new at this and
>>>I'm not sure I should be replying to the group or the sender. I'm replying
>>>to the group. I hope that's right.
>>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message

parker

Thanks for the help Ben. I'll try that approach. I'll end this thread now.