Sign in with
Your question

Dell xps 14z does not connect to older projector

Last response: in Computer Brands
May 1, 2012 12:49:00 AM

Hello, I recently purchased a Dell 2300mp projector on ebay. I new it would have just the old VGA connection however my Dell xps 14z laptop only has HDMI output. I purchased a cable that goes from HDMI to VGA thinking this would work. When I use the function keys on laptop to send to "projector" or "duplicate" my laptop screen acts like it connected but the projector continues to "search for signal" and never recognizes ....what am I missing here? Is the projector two old for my new laptop?
May 1, 2012 3:10:17 AM

what operating system are you using

most windows version you can right click on the desktop and the option for screen resolution or display settings are there
in those windows settings there is a multi monitor display manager
if you are not sure then let me know which windows you have and I can walk you through it
m
l
a c 222 D Laptop
May 1, 2012 6:54:13 PM

Make sure the second display is not set to a higher resolution than the projector can read. Plus either the cable or projector could be bad. Try that adapter with another VGA source, same thing with the projector.
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2012 3:04:09 AM

Maybe Software compatible with problem,you can download a new driver.
m
l
May 10, 2012 11:45:54 PM

MrMilford said:
Hello, I recently purchased a Dell 2300mp projector on ebay. I new it would have just the old VGA connection however my Dell xps 14z laptop only has HDMI output. I purchased a cable that goes from HDMI to VGA thinking this would work. When I use the function keys on laptop to send to "projector" or "duplicate" my laptop screen acts like it connected but the projector continues to "search for signal" and never recognizes ....what am I missing here? Is the projector two old for my new laptop?

HI, I was googling for another issue when I came across this. Not sure if it's an issue still, but I did some research into this a while ago and came up with the below info...

- You can convert DVI --> HDMI because they are digital signals
- You can convert VGA --> DVI because DVI is backwards compatible and can handle analog signals
- You can’t go HDMI --> VGA with a “passive” connection, i.e. with a simple cable connector rather than a power source that will convert Analog --> Digital

The Dell laptops have both HDMI & “Mini DisplayPort”. So, you need one of these if you're trying to connect to VGA

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technolog...
m
l
!