Sign in with
Your question

Overheat

Last response: in CPUs
April 14, 2003 12:41:26 PM

I am running an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ with an ASUS A7V333 motherboard. The motherboard has a built in protection to restart if the cpu temp gets to high. This is when I have the cpu speed in the BIOS set to 1733. When I lower it to 1333 it seems to run fine and doesn't overheat. This sucks because I am not getting my full performance out of my CPU. Is the overheating caused by a bad CPU or do I need to get a better cooling device on it. I have a heatsink and fan on it, the one that comes with the processor and they both run fine. Also I have to case vent fans, one on the side panel blowing in and one on the top of the case blowing out. What should I do, should I send the CPU in and ask for a new one or is there something I need to do to fix this.

-Thanks

More about : overheat

April 14, 2003 1:12:07 PM

I don't think your HSF is properly mounted on the CPU. Check that out looking at it from the side. If it's cocked it's the HSF. Was the protective film removed fro the HSF?

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!
April 14, 2003 10:04:24 PM

Where do you live? Ive heard before at higher elevations computers overheat at stock speeds with AMD's retail Heatsink "I know I am a paperweight" heatsink fan.
---------------------------
eBay, kick ass!
!