Static noise when hooking laptop to tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

zip9211

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Hi

I have a HP DV6000 laptop and a 37" Olevia LCD tv. I get a static sound when I hook the laptop up to the tv. The connection I use>

I use a VGA Mal to Male and the video is great.
I use a mini headphone jack with a rca (red and white) converter that I use to plug in to the tv.

The problem is a hear a loud static noise on the tv and the audio is very low. I also notice when I unplug the charger from my laptop the noise goes away and the audio is perfect. Can anyone tell me what causes this? I know the simple fix would be to leave the charger out, but the charger is necessary to watch/stream movies

Does the Charger have a three prong power plug?
According to the manual it does.
There is an adapter available at hardware stores to change a three prong power plug to a two prong plug. (it disconnects the ground pin) it costs about $1.
Try disconnecting the third prong with the adapter. This will lift the ground from the computer.
The noise might be caused by a ground loop. This happens when the TV is grounded (to the cable TV) and the computer is grounded, at the same time.
Disconnecting one of the grounds stops the problem.

rhys202

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009

YOU ARE SUCH A MAD GENIUS!!! THANK YOU!!

bossltd

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Thanks i had the same problem with an extreme amount of static. My laptop had a 3 prong plug but i had an extension cord that would allow me to only put 2 prongs in without the ground and i hear no static now. Your the boss, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS