Anyone have a link to older synaptics touchpad drivers?

The latest version doesn't have the option to disable the pointer stick on
the keyboard. SO my work machine I have to stop working about once per
hour while the pointstick does its calibration, I wish they would stop
putting those worthless things on the keyboard.
11 answers Last reply
More about anyone link older synaptics touchpad drivers

    I'm confused. What makes it calibrate? I admit I have an IBM Thinkpad, but
    the pointy stick works fine.

    Tom

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > I'm confused. What makes it calibrate? I admit I have an IBM Thinkpad,
    > but the pointy stick works fine.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> The latest version doesn't have the option to disable the pointer stick
    >> on
    >> the keyboard. SO my work machine I have to stop working about once per
    >> hour while the pointstick does its calibration, I wish they would stop
    >> putting those worthless things on the keyboard.

    I don't think I've used/seen a laptop with a point stick that didn't do it.
    I was told by IBM and Compaq that the point stick need to calibrate every
    so often. I worked for a repair shop so I've seen/used/fixed a lot of
    systems. I typically disable them on my own systems but this one issued to
    my at my current workplace didn't have the option to disable it and I
    downloaded the latest drivers and it still doesn't. Its doing like they
    all do, every so often it will kick the mouse to one side of the screen and
    hold it there, if you try to move it back with the touchpad or plug in an
    external mouse the stick will just keep fighting you and pulling the mouse
    to a side of the screen. If I push and hold on the point stick I can try
    to force it back but I have to hold the opposite direction constantly.

    I've owned at least a dozen machines, both Toshiba and IBM, with pointing
    sticks (which are all based on licensed IBM technology) and NONE have shown
    the symptoms you describe. Never. Not once.

    Typing this on a stick machine (IBM Thinkpad X31).

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > I've owned at least a dozen machines, both Toshiba and IBM, with pointing
    > sticks (which are all based on licensed IBM technology) and NONE have
    > shown
    > the symptoms you describe. Never. Not once.
    >
    > Typing this on a stick machine (IBM Thinkpad X31).

    I was told by both IBM and compaq that the pointer moving off to one side
    was normal. I've used/repaired hundreds, was service authorized on all
    thinkpads, Armadas, and Omnibooks, as well as worked on laptops by Toshiba,
    Digital, etc. Every one that I worked with for long enough with the point
    stick would eventually do it.
    But the point is I can't find a way to disable the stick on this laptop and
    have to keep stopping and waiting on it, got a pointer to the drivers?

    trackpoints/pointersticks are know to have drift when they are defective or
    when there is some dirt stuck in them. remove the cap and try to clean it
    out. otherwise replace the keyboard/pointerstick (about $30 for most dell
    models). it is unclear what model you are talking about, but most have an
    option in the bios that allow you to disable the internal
    touchpad/pointerstick when an external mouse is connected. check that out
    as an alternate solution to replaceing the keyboard/pointerstick.

    Christopher Muto wrote:

    > trackpoints/pointersticks are know to have drift when they are defective
    > or
    > when there is some dirt stuck in them. remove the cap and try to clean it
    > out. otherwise replace the keyboard/pointerstick (about $30 for most dell
    > models). it is unclear what model you are talking about, but most have an
    > option in the bios that allow you to disable the internal
    > touchpad/pointerstick when an external mouse is connected. check that out
    > as an alternate solution to replaceing the keyboard/pointerstick.

    Company assigned machine so I don't have th option to replace the keyboard.
    I cleaned everything out as best as I can and I'm not using an external
    mouse as my couch has no mousepad :) I need to be able to disable the
    stick and not the pad which is what they synaptics drivers used to do. My
    last couple personal laptops had the either / or option so I could disable
    the stick and just use the pad but I don't know why synaptics did away with
    the option.

    again you fail to mention the model that you are talking about.... some
    have a connector that can be disconnected. since you choose not to provide
    any specifics neither can i... go to support.dell.com you can look up the
    service manual for you unit and learn how to break down the system and
    disconnect the cable if possible. or just spend $30 of your own money and
    replace the keyboard and its defective pointerstick in your company owned
    machine. good luck.

    Christopher Muto wrote:

    > again you fail to mention the model that you are talking about.... some
    > have a connector that can be disconnected. since you choose not to
    > provide
    > any specifics neither can i... go to support.dell.com you can look up the
    > service manual for you unit and learn how to break down the system and
    > disconnect the cable if possible. or just spend $30 of your own money and
    > replace the keyboard and its defective pointerstick in your company owned
    > machine. good luck.
    >
    > "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> Christopher Muto wrote:
    >>
    >> > trackpoints/pointersticks are know to have drift when they are
    >> > defective or
    >> > when there is some dirt stuck in them. remove the cap and try to clean
    > it
    >> > out. otherwise replace the keyboard/pointerstick (about $30 for most
    > dell
    >> > models). it is unclear what model you are talking about, but most have
    > an
    >> > option in the bios that allow you to disable the internal
    >> > touchpad/pointerstick when an external mouse is connected. check that
    > out
    >> > as an alternate solution to replaceing the keyboard/pointerstick.
    >> >
    >> Company assigned machine so I don't have th option to replace the
    > keyboard.
    >> I cleaned everything out as best as I can and I'm not using an external
    >> mouse as my couch has no mousepad :) I need to be able to disable the
    >> stick and not the pad which is what they synaptics drivers used to do.
    >> My last couple personal laptops had the either / or option so I could
    >> disable the stick and just use the pad but I don't know why synaptics did
    >> away
    > with
    >> the option.

    Hmm, guess I could do that, they usually are a seperate cable arn't they.
    Its a C500/600 Latitude. I'll bet that panel above the keyboard pops off.

    the panel above teh keyboard is removable but it is not necessary to remove
    it to gain access to the keyboard and its connectors. read the service
    manual.

    > Christopher Muto wrote:
    >
    > > again you fail to mention the model that you are talking about.... some
    > > have a connector that can be disconnected. since you choose not to
    > > provide
    > > any specifics neither can i... go to support.dell.com you can look up
    the
    > > service manual for you unit and learn how to break down the system and
    > > disconnect the cable if possible. or just spend $30 of your own money
    and
    > > replace the keyboard and its defective pointerstick in your company
    owned
    > > machine. good luck.
    > >
    > > "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

    > > it
    > > dell
    > > an
    > > out
    > >> >
    > >> Company assigned machine so I don't have th option to replace the
    > > keyboard.
    > >> I cleaned everything out as best as I can and I'm not using an external
    > >> mouse as my couch has no mousepad :) I need to be able to disable the
    > >> stick and not the pad which is what they synaptics drivers used to do.
    > >> My last couple personal laptops had the either / or option so I could
    > >> disable the stick and just use the pad but I don't know why synaptics
    did
    > >> away
    > > with
    > >> the option.
    > >>

    > Hmm, guess I could do that, they usually are a seperate cable arn't they.
    > Its a C500/600 Latitude. I'll bet that panel above the keyboard pops off.

    > > "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
    > >> ...(snipped)...
    > >> I need to be able to disable the stick and not the pad which
    > >> is what they synaptics drivers used to do. My last couple
    > >> personal laptops had the either / or option so I could
    > >> disable the stick and just use the pad but I don't know
    > >> why synaptics did away with the option.
    > >>
    > Christopher Muto wrote:
    > > again you fail to mention the model that you are talking about....
    > > some have a connector that can be disconnected. since you
    > > choose not to provide any specifics neither can i... go to
    > > support.dell.com you can look up the service manual for you
    > > unit and learn how to break down the system and disconnect
    > > the cable if possible.

    "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
    > Hmm, guess I could do that, they usually are a seperate cable
    > arn't they. Its a C500/600 Latitude. I'll bet that panel above
    > the keyboard pops off.

    Okay, I'm lost. The Synaptics drivers on my Dells, including two C600's, allow
    me to enable/disable the stick and/or touchpad individually through software.
    These drivers are still available on the Dell site, as well as previous
    versions going back several years. What am I missing in Eugene's inquiry?

    http://support.dell.com/FileLib/PreviousVersions.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&Category=17&OS=WNT5&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=LAT_PNT_CEL_C500&DeviceID=283&Type=DRVR
    What's the problem? Drivers back 7 versions are available for the C500.

    "Dg1261" <dg1261@cs.comnojunk> wrote in message

    > > Christopher Muto wrote:
    > > > again you fail to mention the model that you are talking about....
    > > > some have a connector that can be disconnected. since you
    > > > choose not to provide any specifics neither can i... go to
    > > > support.dell.com you can look up the service manual for you
    > > > unit and learn how to break down the system and disconnect
    > > > the cable if possible.
    > > >
    > "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
    > > Hmm, guess I could do that, they usually are a seperate cable
    > > arn't they. Its a C500/600 Latitude. I'll bet that panel above
    > > the keyboard pops off.
    >
    > Okay, I'm lost. The Synaptics drivers on my Dells, including two C600's,
    allow
    > me to enable/disable the stick and/or touchpad individually through
    software.
    > These drivers are still available on the Dell site, as well as previous
    > versions going back several years. What am I missing in Eugene's inquiry?

Dell Touchpad Keyboards Synaptics Computers