Inspiron 4000 Hinge

Hi all,

First time poster here. Problem: the right-side hinge on my Inspiron 4000
seems to have broken. The machine and display still work fine, but I need
to replace the hinge. I've searched the Dell website, but don't seem to be
able to find what I need. Questions:

1. Is the hinge something I can attempt to replace, or is this best left to
a shop?
2. Where would I be able to find a replacement hinge.

Thanks in advance,
Birdlander

Tim

"Birdlander" <selucas@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> First time poster here. Problem: the right-side hinge on my Inspiron 4000
> seems to have broken. The machine and display still work fine, but I need
> to replace the hinge. I've searched the Dell website, but don't seem to
> be able to find what I need. Questions:
>
> 1. Is the hinge something I can attempt to replace, or is this best left
> to a shop?
> 2. Where would I be able to find a replacement hinge.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Birdlander

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=3 I have bought
from this site. No problems fast shipping. Tim

First time poster? We have a hazing ceremony here:

You're a Dellbot!
You're a sniveling whiner!
Enjoy my killfile - PLONK!

Welcome to our fraternity. We are happy to have you among our esteemed
ranks.

Ted (;-> Zieglar

"Birdlander" <selucas@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> First time poster here. Problem: the right-side hinge on my Inspiron 4000
> seems to have broken. The machine and display still work fine, but I need
> to replace the hinge. I've searched the Dell website, but don't seem to
be
> able to find what I need. Questions:
>
> 1. Is the hinge something I can attempt to replace, or is this best left
> a shop?
> 2. Where would I be able to find a replacement hinge.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Birdlander

"Birdlander" <selucas@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> First time poster here. Problem: the right-side hinge on my
> Inspiron 4000 seems to have broken. The machine and display still
> work fine, but I need to replace the hinge.

If it's similar to my i5000 the hinge is part of the lid ... both my
hinges were cracked, almost all the way through, so I ordered 2
replacement lids (figuring it would happen again, and sure enough
after only 6 months the replacement started cracking) ... anyway, an
end-user can replace the lid themself but it is a very intricate
procedure (it's like a puzzle :) and you need the right tools (ie,
tiny screwdrivers, etc) - not for the faint at heart.

> "Birdlander" <selucas@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > First time poster here. Problem: the right-side hinge on my Inspiron
4000
> > seems to have broken. The machine and display still work fine, but I
need
> > to replace the hinge. I've searched the Dell website, but don't seem to
> be
> > able to find what I need. Questions:
> >
> > 1. Is the hinge something I can attempt to replace, or is this best left
> > a shop?
> > 2. Where would I be able to find a replacement hinge.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Birdlander

Have you tried Parts People (www.parts-people.com)? Here's what they have
for an I4K:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=3

or Google it (www.google.com) ie: Inspiron 4000 hinge kits.

Also, if you need the manual:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_4000&category=0&os=WW1&osl=EN

or

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_4000&category=0&os=WW1&osl=EN

HTH,
Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA