EM Pinball Group

Hey, lighten up... He's promoting a group for EM collectors. This group
rarely discusses EM's... I think it's a good thing. Most of the members
here want little to do with EM's.

This is usenet, not some private forum. He's got the right to promote
anything he pleases. Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else can tell this
fellow to go away. I realize you are a formidible presence in the Pin
world with Mr. Pinball Classified, but you can't control other's
postings or what they want to discuss in any other forum.

My .02 worth.

>Most of the members here want little to do with EM's.

I think a better statement would be "most of us do both and would
rather not read two groups"
The SS only crowd is not as large as you may think.

EM guys were screaming for their own group. Now they have it. I don't
read it, but yea for them.

I sort of agree with Daina about posting the link to an EM group every
week or even every month would be pushing it, but I'm not sure that is
what ctstep is doing.

Kirb

Thank you, my purpose is not to displace this group or even fracture
it, just a place where EM owners can go and talk to oher EM owners. Its
just simpler that way. I mean no harm, and no foul. Join if you wish,
ignore us if you like, protest if you must. But we are just a bunch of
guys who like getting together and talking about pinball, HMMMM sounds
kind of fun huh, maybe this group should try it for a while

Ctsteps5

pt

Diana was trying to make the point that splintering is not a good thing
for the hobby itself. I don't see anything in Diana's post saying he
should go away.

I am mostly interested in DMD games, but I do share an interest in EMs
too. If EMs split to their own group they will definately lose many
like myself who only have a casual interest. I certainly would not
spend the time to read a second forum. Also, what makes you think that
anything posted in that yahoo forum will be archived forever like
google does RGP? Its not the usenet...its a yahoo forum.

John

but we dont care about archived postings, its a ind of face to face
interaction. its more personable then here and people get to know one
another and their collections. the way pinball use to be

ctsteps5

Nomad

What's next after that then, a Bingo only forum?! I can see them
knockin' down the doors for that one:)

nomad (who does own a Bingo)

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

For your information, there is already a bingo forum set up. It's at
http://www.oldbinger.com/ . If you own a bingo, you should visit and
check it out.

Phil

ctsteps5 wrote:
> But as you all know we have now resorted to posting porno here as in
> yesterdays madonna pictures.

That was spam. You know the difference. Don't play dumb.

>i usually post once a week in the early moring of a weekday.

Wow, once a week? that is quite often. I REALLY don't think you need to
remind all of us here every week.

>not at 9pm crunch time

Crunch time? It really doesn't matter WHEN you post them. It is still
what some consider spamming the group. Your intentions may be just, but
the methods are not so much.

>I am trying to be a small a presence as i can be.

I think once a month is more than enough for this small group. We have
fairly good memories.

>What the ---- does that have to do with pinball

Just because a lot of OT stuff gets posted and replied to here does not
exclude you from being a spammer. That is what Daina was talking
about....that, and the fact that every 6 mo. someone wants to start an
EM only group. It's almost as predictable as a GPS clock.

Kirb

to let you know we have been together for six month, founded 12/5/2004
and have 144 members. i think we are here to stay. and most of us
belong here as well, hmmm, maybe we can coexist?

ctsteps5

>most of us belong here as well, hmmm, maybe we can coexist?

Not being able to start and maintain your group was never the problem.
Weekly reminders that it exists was the problem that Daina brought up.

It will survive as long as it holds some value for the group. I have no
problems with it myself (other than the spam).

Kirb

> For your information, there is already a bingo forum set up. It's at
>doors for that one:)

What about a PM (Pure mech.) group?

--Eric

In article <1119873582.735923.269480@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
ctsteps5 <ctsteps5@yahoo.com> wrote:
>http://games.gropes.yahoo.com/group/dempinbowelmachines/

What is this--the third or fourth promotion of an alternate group for
pinball on a yahoo group? Please don't promote an alternate place to talk
about pinball. It divides the pinball world and is not only not necessary,
but it is harmful to pinball. If you don't believe it then google
rec.games.pinball for splitting the newsgroup. It's gets brought up every
6-12 months and you've now given us our quota this year for this topic.
--
Daina Pettit=daina@xmission.com, voice: (801)277-6296, msg: (801)277-0888
UNIX Consulting Salt Lake City, Utah http://www.MrPinball.com

I thought it was like that royalty chick from england...die-anna...
sorry about the pun...

FYI: Mr. Pinball is "Daina", not "Diana".

-Mark
--
http://pinballpal.com/

In article <1119915706.152113.247810@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com> wrote:
>How exactly do you pronounce "Daina?" It's been bugging me for
>years....
>
>nomad

Day Nah.

Jeff Giesting

S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html

My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/

Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.

Just to add my 2 cents here....I read both RGP and the Yahoo EM group and
while RGP is more active I often feel more comfortable posting and
responding in the EM group. It's just a different dynamic I guess. I don't
see why the EM group would splinter the pinball community...are people
really just >SO< busy that they have to choose between the 2...."pick sides"
as it were? And without Marty "spamming" RGP I would have never found the
Yahoo EM group. If people don't want to have anything to do with it, that's
fine...but why all the uproar? If I start fixing pinball games will I be
splintering the pinball community because there's already a guy that fixes
games?? Honestly it's this kind of drama that's always made me feel a
little stand-offish about RGP. I still like and respect you all my pinball
brothers and sisters, but come on...I thought we were supposed to be having
fun!
Chris

greenacarina wrote:

> Just to add my 2 cents here....I read both RGP and the Yahoo EM group and
> while RGP is more active I often feel more comfortable posting and
> responding in the EM group. It's just a different dynamic I guess. I don't
> see why the EM group would splinter the pinball community...

Well, I kinda think you just answered your own question there. ;) You
feel more comfortable responding in the other group. I assume those are
posts and/or topics that would not appear here which is a shame,
because, this group could really use more pinball related stuff. Posts
and topics in another forum are posts and topics which will not appear
here.

> are people
> really just >SO< busy that they have to choose between the 2...."pick sides"
> as it were?

Yep. This group is pretty much all I usually have time to read, *if* I
even have time for this.

> And without Marty "spamming" RGP I would have never found the
> Yahoo EM group. If people don't want to have anything to do with it, that's
> fine...but why all the uproar?

It's a practical matter. It's pretty much because there's a large
contingent of people here who prefer to get their pinball fix one one
place without having to search other outlets. If I need a tech problem
solved I can come here. If I'm looking for parts I can come here. If I
want to trade something I can come here. As someone who has both EM's
and SS games in my collection, I *really* don't want to have to go to a
variety of places.

> If I start fixing pinball games will I be
> splintering the pinball community because there's already a guy that fixes
> games??

Well, I don't think that's exactly the right analogy. It's more like the
reason people like to go to Walmart rather than go to ten different
specialty stores. You can get it all in one place, and it's cheaper here
too! ;)

> Honestly it's this kind of drama that's always made me feel a
> little stand-offish about RGP. I still like and respect you all my pinball
> brothers and sisters, but come on...I thought we were supposed to be having
> fun!

I still am! I just pretty much ignore the drama queens... :)

Serg

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:56:42 +0000 (UTC), Daina Pettit wrote:
> In article <1119873582.735923.269480@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> ctsteps5 <ctsteps5@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>http://games.gropes.yahoo.com/group/dempinbowelmachines/
>>

> What is this--the third or fourth promotion of an alternate group for
> pinball on a yahoo group? Please don't promote an alternate place to talk
> about pinball. It divides the pinball world and is not only not necessary,
> but it is harmful to pinball. If you don't believe it then google
> rec.games.pinball for splitting the newsgroup. It's gets brought up every
> 6-12 months and you've now given us our quota this year for this topic.

Even if there were need for splitting the group along some lines, it
*certainly* would be better managed by adding newsgroups rather than
switching to an advertising-supported mechanism.

--
20. Despite its proven stress-relieving effect, I will not indulge in maniacal
laughter. When so occupied, it's too easy to miss unexpected developments

TRENDING THREADS