Can Not change order in Quick Launch Bar - Toolbar Lock No..

Have XP Home Edition with all current updates. Do not have toolbars
locked.
By mistake, moved the whole Quick Launch Taskbar and lost it. When I went
to Start > Properties > and enabled Show Quick Launch, I got it back with
all my icons. The problem is that they are no longer displayed in the
order that I want and I can not drag them to change the order. Sometime in
the
past, I was able to drag them to change their order.

Again, I do not have the toolbars lock set. I went to ...my application
data\Microsoft\IE\Quick
Launch and changed the sort order of the folder but it did not change the
display order when I rebooted the system.

Any ideas on how I can change the order?

Dale Cox
4 answers Last reply
More about change order quick launch toolbar lock

    Hello , I observed your quetion and tested with "Lock the taskbar" checked ..
    and with Lock the taskbar unchecked . Either way , this did not change the
    way I could easily "Drag" the "Quicklaunch taskbar" icons . Try dragging and
    watch for the ----> blinking I then drop the icon / program in the desired
    location . Drag and Drop .
    --
    KD

    "dcox5" wrote:

    > Have XP Home Edition with all current updates. Do not have toolbars
    > locked.
    > By mistake, moved the whole Quick Launch Taskbar and lost it. When I went
    > to Start > Properties > and enabled Show Quick Launch, I got it back with
    > all my icons. The problem is that they are no longer displayed in the
    > order that I want and I can not drag them to change the order. Sometime in
    > the
    > past, I was able to drag them to change their order.
    >
    > Again, I do not have the toolbars lock set. I went to ...my application
    > data\Microsoft\IE\Quick
    > Launch and changed the sort order of the folder but it did not change the
    > display order when I rebooted the system.
    >
    > Any ideas on how I can change the order?
    >
    > Dale Cox

    Is quicklaunch effected by the sorting setting? Try turning off "auto
    arrange" in the arrange icons by menu and applying it globaly.

    "dcox5" wrote:

    > Have XP Home Edition with all current updates. Do not have toolbars
    > locked.
    > By mistake, moved the whole Quick Launch Taskbar and lost it. When I went
    > to Start > Properties > and enabled Show Quick Launch, I got it back with
    > all my icons. The problem is that they are no longer displayed in the
    > order that I want and I can not drag them to change the order. Sometime in
    > the
    > past, I was able to drag them to change their order.
    >
    > Again, I do not have the toolbars lock set. I went to ...my application
    > data\Microsoft\IE\Quick
    > Launch and changed the sort order of the folder but it did not change the
    > display order when I rebooted the system.
    >
    > Any ideas on how I can change the order?
    >
    > Dale Cox

    I am the one who wrote this original question. Earlier Today, without
    knowingly changing any setting, I was able to drag the icons within the
    Quick Launch Taskbar to rearrange their order. So I now have them in the
    order that I want.

    Strange though, since reading your responses, I checked and my taskbar was
    Unlocked. I locked it and tried dragging the icons and found that I could
    not drag them. Then I unlocked the taskbar and tried again. None of the
    icons will drag with either setting, yet they would drag only a few hours
    ago. I can not figure out why I can drag them sometimes and not others. I
    have not changed the auto-sort setting. The only activity that I did was to
    update my XP with the eight security fixes that Microsoft has on their
    download site for me.

    Does anyone know what specific setting might be blocking my ability to drag
    these icons?

    dcox5

    "dcox5" <dcox5@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Have XP Home Edition with all current updates. Do not have toolbars
    > locked.
    > By mistake, moved the whole Quick Launch Taskbar and lost it. When I went
    > to Start > Properties > and enabled Show Quick Launch, I got it back with
    > all my icons. The problem is that they are no longer displayed in the
    > order that I want and I can not drag them to change the order. Sometime
    > in the
    > past, I was able to drag them to change their order.
    >
    > Again, I do not have the toolbars lock set. I went to ...my application
    > data\Microsoft\IE\Quick
    > Launch and changed the sort order of the folder but it did not change the
    > display order when I rebooted the system.
    >
    > Any ideas on how I can change the order?
    >
    > Dale Cox

    Howdy once again. I made another discovery re this issue.
    Just a few minutes ago, I tried to drag the Quick Launch Icons and they
    would not move. I confirmed that the Taskbar was Not locked. Then I
    rebooted my system and following the reboot, the icons move just fine.

    Does that help anyone answer why I can drag the Quick Launch Icons sometimes
    and not others?

    dcox5

    "dcox5" <dcox5@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Have XP Home Edition with all current updates. Do not have toolbars
    > locked.
    > By mistake, moved the whole Quick Launch Taskbar and lost it. When I went
    > to Start > Properties > and enabled Show Quick Launch, I got it back with
    > all my icons. The problem is that they are no longer displayed in the
    > order that I want and I can not drag them to change the order. Sometime
    > in the
    > past, I was able to drag them to change their order.
    >
    > Again, I do not have the toolbars lock set. I went to ...my application
    > data\Microsoft\IE\Quick
    > Launch and changed the sort order of the folder but it did not change the
    > display order when I rebooted the system.
    >
    > Any ideas on how I can change the order?
    >
    > Dale Cox

Microsoft Quick Launch Windows XP