connection loss MN700

I have been intermittenly loosing connection with the
MN700... It happens about once a day sometimes more.. I
have the newest firmware (.590) But I had this problem
before the update.. but now it seems more frequent. The
only way to fix the problem is to reset either the modem
or the base station... I have an ADSL connection... could
this be a problem with the modem or is the problem in the
base station?? btw once I loose connection.. I go to the
base station management.. and try to reconnect from
there... but it doesn't work... anyone have any
suggestions?

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

You too, hey?

I've been following the newsgroup, specifically to see if
others have a similar problem as you describe on DSL using
PPPoE. Many do, including myself; at least I used to ...

Among the follow ups, I've seen various people advising to
check the log for a "PADT," indicating that the PPPoE
server has sent a notification to the router to terminate
the connection. In some cases, people respond that they
do indeed see a PADT in the log *just* before connection
is lost, but not always. What most people don't seem to
see is that you can see *MANY* PADTs in the log, but for
most of them, the basestation automatically recovers. It
will go through the whole authentication process again -
at least mine does. So, seeing PADTs in the log is normal
(?) - however, seeing one without the corresponding re-
authentication process is not (normal). Thus, those of us
affected, go through the hardware reset process, as it is
the only process that works.

As I said, I *used* to have this problem until recently,
when I connected a Voice Over IP (VoIP) IAD [it's a device
that allows your regular phone to work on a VoIP
connection over DSL] to the LAN. Since then, it [PPPoE
connection] has *never* gone down without coming back up
automatically. Only after thinking this through did an
explanation (theory?) occur to me ... prior to connecting
the IAD, there was *NOTHING* on the LAN, except when I
occasionally (2-3 times/week) connected my laptop. I
found that the PPPoE connection dropped only at a time
when I was not connected with the laptop.

So, the question to you and other folks experiencing this
same frustration is: when you lose your PPPoE connection,
is there anything else on the LAN?

My question is: is my theory sound or am I just whistling
dixie?

Thanks and sorry for the long read ...