How should I set up this speakers system?

I want to setup a surround sound system in my room. I just purchased a 5.1 system, I looked up a few setup guides and I don't think I can set it up correctly in my room.

Here is a rough sketch of my room:
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4889/29768248.png
The blue part is where my computer is, the gray part is my bed.

This is how you are suppose to set it up.
http://thesoundroom.biz/images/SREKSP1.jpg

Obviously I can't set up the rear speakers on the either side of my head. My only option is to put the rear speakers in the back. Is that gonna cause a noticeable difference in the sound quality/effects?

I can always return the speakers if the setup in my room is no recommended.

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about speakers system
  1. looking at it from the perspective of the drawing of teh room, you should b e able to place as it is exactly drawn out on the speaker placement diagram.
  2. The only thing to make sure of, is that the distance regarding the rear speakers from your couch are the same. Dont make one 5 ft away, and the other 3.5 ft away. That will mess with the sound. Otherwise, it should work just fine.
  3. well u can do the room/eq setup, which can fix it by some percentage, but i dunno if it was included in the OP's system.
  4. I forgot to mention that this is for a computer so that means I will be sitting close to the blue square.

It's too late to cancel my order now so I guess I will just wait and see.
  5. just make sure that you set up the rear speakers at the same distance from the point at which you sit. SO, that means, if one speaker is 3 ft away, the other must be 3 ft away. Same goes for the front speakers (independantly from the rear), just make sure that the front 2 speakers are the same distance away from you.
  6. Receivers have volume sliders for that sort of thing, you don't have to put them in the same exact spot.
  7. thats what i was saying. volume gain for each dependent speakers and timing delays, but the thing is his receiver might not have such options.
  8. That receiver must be from the stone age. I have a cheap Yamaha receiver from the 80s that even has channel adjustments.
Ask a new question

Read More

Speakers Computers Audio