Sign in with
Your question

How should I set up this speakers system?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 6, 2010 4:29:32 PM

I want to setup a surround sound system in my room. I just purchased a 5.1 system, I looked up a few setup guides and I don't think I can set it up correctly in my room.

Here is a rough sketch of my room:
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4889/29768248.png
The blue part is where my computer is, the gray part is my bed.

This is how you are suppose to set it up.
http://thesoundroom.biz/images/SREKSP1.jpg

Obviously I can't set up the rear speakers on the either side of my head. My only option is to put the rear speakers in the back. Is that gonna cause a noticeable difference in the sound quality/effects?

I can always return the speakers if the setup in my room is no recommended.

Thanks

More about : set speakers system

August 6, 2010 5:46:25 PM

looking at it from the perspective of the drawing of teh room, you should b e able to place as it is exactly drawn out on the speaker placement diagram.
m
l
August 6, 2010 6:12:11 PM

The only thing to make sure of, is that the distance regarding the rear speakers from your couch are the same. Dont make one 5 ft away, and the other 3.5 ft away. That will mess with the sound. Otherwise, it should work just fine.
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2010 7:17:56 PM

well u can do the room/eq setup, which can fix it by some percentage, but i dunno if it was included in the OP's system.
m
l
August 6, 2010 7:56:40 PM

I forgot to mention that this is for a computer so that means I will be sitting close to the blue square.

It's too late to cancel my order now so I guess I will just wait and see.
m
l
August 6, 2010 10:31:00 PM

just make sure that you set up the rear speakers at the same distance from the point at which you sit. SO, that means, if one speaker is 3 ft away, the other must be 3 ft away. Same goes for the front speakers (independantly from the rear), just make sure that the front 2 speakers are the same distance away from you.
m
l
August 6, 2010 10:36:10 PM

Receivers have volume sliders for that sort of thing, you don't have to put them in the same exact spot.
m
l
August 7, 2010 11:55:46 AM

thats what i was saying. volume gain for each dependent speakers and timing delays, but the thing is his receiver might not have such options.
m
l
August 7, 2010 8:11:53 PM

That receiver must be from the stone age. I have a cheap Yamaha receiver from the 80s that even has channel adjustments.
m
l
!