post SP2: system freeze after cold boot

At about the time i installed SP2 the system began freezing after a cold
boot. If the pc is off for, curiously enough, some time (not if i turn it off
and then turn it on emmediately) the system freezes when i try to run a non
XP-native program, like macromadia flash, or winamp or the like.

After the system freezes, and i restart the computer the problem disappears,
until the next cold boot.

Has anyone else had a simmilar problem, or knows how to solve it?

Do you have all the latest windows updates installed? Do you have any
external hardware? If so, are the firmware versions up-to-date?

Also, you can try deleting temp files, and defragmenting your PC.

"BMXbuddy" <BMXbuddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> At about the time i installed SP2 the system began freezing after a cold
> boot. If the pc is off for, curiously enough, some time (not if i turn it
> off
> and then turn it on emmediately) the system freezes when i try to run a
> non
> XP-native program, like macromadia flash, or winamp or the like.
>
> After the system freezes, and i restart the computer the problem
> disappears,
> until the next cold boot.
>
> Has anyone else had a simmilar problem, or knows how to solve it?

I don't have external hardware, but i do not have all the newest updates.
That's a good suggestion, the issue might be resolved by now in an update.
I'll try installing updates and see if it helps.

"Eric Fehlhaber" wrote:

> Do you have all the latest windows updates installed? Do you have any
> external hardware? If so, are the firmware versions up-to-date?
>
> Also, you can try deleting temp files, and defragmenting your PC.
>
> "BMXbuddy" <BMXbuddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > At about the time i installed SP2 the system began freezing after a cold
> > boot. If the pc is off for, curiously enough, some time (not if i turn it
> > off
> > and then turn it on emmediately) the system freezes when i try to run a
> > non
> > XP-native program, like macromadia flash, or winamp or the like.
> >
> > After the system freezes, and i restart the computer the problem
> > disappears,
> > until the next cold boot.
> >
> > Has anyone else had a simmilar problem, or knows how to solve it?

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

hello