inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
Bought an open but not used AMD 2200+ at a place I have been too alot lately. In WCPUID it states that it is an "original OEM processor"...since it was not sold to me as an OEM, have a had the peverbial screw placed in me rectum?..........
Thanks for the help!

To err is human, too really screw things up you need a computer!

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
OEM means "Original Equipment Manufactuerer".

OEM products are sold in bulk... no packaging, no manuals, no fancy anything, just a plain box full of the part... to companies who assemble and market their own brands of PCs.

They are the same part you would get in the retail package, just without the package. It's no big deal, except it saves you some money.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

stealth_blade

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
they may not have a full warranty either, but that may not matter if the store provides one

"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion."
- Gen. (Ret) Norman Schwartzkopf

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
I don't think the cpu type thing means anything? but I'm not sure. I don't have any non OEM chips to test, but I was curious about this so I search on Google. and every review screen shot I found had the cpu identified as OEM, I'm guessing that that field labels all as Orig OEM proc'S ??

this link in particular made me think so... says it is an OC'd p3 700 RETAIL, but screen shot says OEM.

http://radified.com/Benches/cpuid_p3_700.htm

<begin> clever sig </end>

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
I think under WCPUID OEM means that it's an original AMd or intel. It doens't matter if you bought it retail or OEM, it's still the same processor, still a genuine AMD/INTEL chip. I think that's what it's saying. If it didn't say that, then it's probably not a genuine OEM chip, if there are any out there....

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
Thanks everyone,
Just trying to figure out if this guy is buying OEM and selling as "retail"........

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Did your processor come with a heatsink?

<font color=blue><pre>I'm proud to be an American,
who served my country in the US Air Force,
to protect the rights of my fellow Americans,
to hold protests against others like me.</pre><p></font color=blue>

Auburn9698

Champion
If it came sealed in AMD packaging, with a heatsink and fan, etc, then it's "retail."

Anything else is not "retail".

As mentioned, the manufacturer's warranty usually isn't the same, but the CPU should be. Retail CPUs usually have the longer warranty, which is valid if they're used with the cooler that came with it in the "retail" package.

War Eagle<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Auburn9698 on 04/15/03 11:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
Yes, butttt.........
The package was open and I just want to make sure the place I bought it is doing me right...they have great prices (when it comes to what I want!)... and want to make sure I am not being played for a sucker (let alone suckee..)
Being a repair place as well, it would be simple to take packages from parts put in someone elses comp. and replace with something cheaper. They have actualy been a great help, but have been down that "scammin'" road before.
Thanks