service pack 2 problems

Every time I download service pack 2 I lose my task bar and icons. Internet
explorer will not start. I tried to download off the computer and finally
sent for disk. Nothing seems to work. I have a 64 bit computer but my XP home
is a 32 bit. I tried to turn off all firewalls and Norton and nothing seems
to work. Thinking of saving all files and starting over(re download XP). The
only way I get everything back is to restore to the earlier time. Any help
would be great.

Which PC are you trying to load SP2 on? Both? Do you have the exact same
problems on both?

"computer idiot" <computeridiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time I download service pack 2 I lose my task bar and icons.
> Internet
> explorer will not start. I tried to download off the computer and finally
> sent for disk. Nothing seems to work. I have a 64 bit computer but my XP
> home
> is a 32 bit. I tried to turn off all firewalls and Norton and nothing
> seems
> to work. Thinking of saving all files and starting over(re download XP).
> The
> only way I get everything back is to restore to the earlier time. Any help
> would be great.

Eric,
I have a Atholon 64 bit Processer. I'm not sure if I have 64bit XP. I did
not think that they made a 64bit home edition. But that is the processor that
I have. Only one computer.

"Eric Fehlhaber" wrote:

> Which PC are you trying to load SP2 on? Both? Do you have the exact same
> problems on both?
>
> "computer idiot" <computeridiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Every time I download service pack 2 I lose my task bar and icons.
> > Internet
> > explorer will not start. I tried to download off the computer and finally
> > sent for disk. Nothing seems to work. I have a 64 bit computer but my XP
> > home
> > is a 32 bit. I tried to turn off all firewalls and Norton and nothing
> > seems
> > to work. Thinking of saving all files and starting over(re download XP).
> > The
> > only way I get everything back is to restore to the earlier time. Any help
> > would be great.

Sounds like you might have to get your hands on a 64-bit version of
Windows... :)

> Eric,
> I have a Atholon 64 bit Processer. I'm not sure if I have 64bit XP. I did
> not think that they made a 64bit home edition. But that is the processor
> that
> I have. Only one computer.
>
> "Eric Fehlhaber" wrote:
>
>> Which PC are you trying to load SP2 on? Both? Do you have the exact
>> same
>> problems on both?
>>
>> "computer idiot" <computeridiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Every time I download service pack 2 I lose my task bar and icons.
>> > Internet
>> > explorer will not start. I tried to download off the computer and
>> > finally
>> > sent for disk. Nothing seems to work. I have a 64 bit computer but my
>> > XP
>> > home
>> > is a 32 bit. I tried to turn off all firewalls and Norton and nothing
>> > seems
>> > to work. Thinking of saving all files and starting over(re download
>> > XP).
>> > The
>> > only way I get everything back is to restore to the earlier time. Any
>> > help
>> > would be great.

Hi,

What is the make/model of the pc and motherboard?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"computer idiot" <computeridiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time I download service pack 2 I lose my task bar and icons.
> Internet
> explorer will not start. I tried to download off the computer and finally
> sent for disk. Nothing seems to work. I have a 64 bit computer but my XP
> home
> is a 32 bit. I tried to turn off all firewalls and Norton and nothing
> seems
> to work. Thinking of saving all files and starting over(re download XP).
> The
> only way I get everything back is to restore to the earlier time. Any help
> would be great.

> Eric,
> I have a Atholon 64 bit Processer. I'm not sure if I have 64bit XP. I did
> not think that they made a 64bit home edition. But that is the processor
> that
> I have. Only one computer.

If you are running XP Home, then you have a 32-bit operating system on
64-bit hardware, which is fine.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+, K8 Triton series AGP8x/ddr Motherboard

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the make/model of the pc and motherboard?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "computer idiot" <computeridiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Every time I download service pack 2 I lose my task bar and icons.
> > Internet
> > explorer will not start. I tried to download off the computer and finally
> > sent for disk. Nothing seems to work. I have a 64 bit computer but my XP
> > home
> > is a 32 bit. I tried to turn off all firewalls and Norton and nothing
> > seems
> > to work. Thinking of saving all files and starting over(re download XP).
> > The
> > only way I get everything back is to restore to the earlier time. Any help
> > would be great.

Hi,

Have you installed the most recent BIOS for the K8 yet?

--

> AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+, K8 Triton series AGP8x/ddr Motherboard
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the make/model of the pc and motherboard?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "computer idiot" <computeridiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Every time I download service pack 2 I lose my task bar and icons.
>> > Internet
>> > explorer will not start. I tried to download off the computer and
>> > finally
>> > sent for disk. Nothing seems to work. I have a 64 bit computer but my
>> > XP
>> > home
>> > is a 32 bit. I tried to turn off all firewalls and Norton and nothing
>> > seems
>> > to work. Thinking of saving all files and starting over(re download
>> > XP).
>> > The
>> > only way I get everything back is to restore to the earlier time. Any
>> > help
>> > would be great.

How do I obtain and install BIOS

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you installed the most recent BIOS for the K8 yet?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "computer idiot" <computeridiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+, K8 Triton series AGP8x/ddr Motherboard
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> What is the make/model of the pc and motherboard?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "computer idiot" <computeridiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Here:
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_List.htm

Make sure you read the instructions on how to do this so you don't turn the
system into a doorstop.