Sign in with
Your question

Can I have some computer help please?

Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2003 11:43:05 AM

I don't know where to post this so I'll put it here.

I'm trying to build a computer but I've run into a few problems.

I bought a 1 ghz duron and a 15" LCD monitor. I wanted to upgrade it so I buy a 1.1 athlon processor. Okay thats all fine and good but when I put in the processor and turn the computer on, it doesn't show anything on the monitor but everything is getting power, I hear the hard drive turning etc. I test it on another monitor and the same problem. Then I test another computer on my LCD and it works. Okay, I take out the parts that work and sell the computer cause I don't know whats wrong and I'm too tired to pay anyone to figure it out.

Now I buy another computer, 1.8 celeron barebones. I install the parts and boom, it works. It loads up to the hard drive where I get a STOP error that tells me to fun fdisk. Okay no problem. I turn off the computer, turn it on and BAM!! again it shows nothing on the monitor. I play with all the cords and wires and still nothing. Sometimes it gives me 4-5 beeps in a row and sometimes it doesn't before loading up. I can't figure out what it could be. The video card works cause it showed up when I first turned it on. Can anyone give me an idea as to why the computer isn't connecting to my monitor? Everything seemed to work fine, and then it didn't.

More about : computer

April 15, 2003 12:45:34 PM

It would be usefull if you listed the entire system components.

Remove / detach everything from the motherboard except the power supply, processor+fan, memory, video card and front panel connectors (epsecially speaker). Reset the CMOS. Switch on. Does it POST? If not does the motherboard even come to life, i.e. the MOBO led comes on or the processor fan turns? If not, check you don't have a grounding anywhere between the MOBO and the case. If so what beeps do you hear (exactly how many?) If it POSTS then switch off again, attach your hard drive and switch on again. Does it POST again? If so press Del. To enter setup and check it is detecting your hard drive correctly, that the processor and memory timings are correct and the boot sequence is configured correctly. Save and restart, boot from CD and do OS install if necesary.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:
April 15, 2003 1:46:26 PM

No jokes you are really trying to build a computer, from Duron 1000MHz to 1100MHz then Celeron 1.8GHz.
You didn't say whether you keep your mobo or not, are you TRYING to put Celeron onto AMD mobo? (just kidding)
Your info is not detail enough for people to figure what went wrong, you should at least stating what brand and model of your hardware because sometime it's just a known incompatible issue.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
April 15, 2003 3:25:54 PM

Thanks, I will get all the information and post tomorrow the parts.
!