Sign in with
Your question

Why won't Tbred B work with Dragon MOBO?

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2003 1:09:02 PM

I just got my Tbred B in last night, and I tried it in my motherboard. Wouldn't post :(  The stepping for the processor indicates that it is the 1.5 volt variety. My MOBO manual says that it will only support palominos. I put the core voltage on default, hoping that it would sense the voltage needed. I guess this didn't work? I then tried to manually lower the voltage, but it will only go to 1.65 V (that's with my palomino in). Any suggestions?

Any man can withstand adversity...The true test of character is to give a man power <i>Abraham Lincoln</i>

More about : tbred work dragon mobo

April 15, 2003 1:15:23 PM

Do you have the kt266, kt266a, or kt333 variety? (it would definately work in the kt400 motherboards, doubtful for the others). Which Tbred B did you get, 1700+? Mine worked, but had to be forced at 1.75 volts

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
April 15, 2003 1:21:34 PM

Quote:
I just got my Tbred B in last night, and I tried it in my motherboard. Wouldn't post :(  The stepping for the processor indicates that it is the 1.5 volt variety. My MOBO manual says that it will only support palominos. I put the core voltage on default, hoping that it would sense the voltage needed. I guess this didn't work? I then tried to manually lower the voltage, but it will only go to 1.65 V (that's with my palomino in). Any suggestions?

Let me get this straight, Grub. Your motherboard manual says specifically that it will only work with Palominos, and you want to know why your Thoroughbred B won't work in it?

<font color=blue><pre>I'm proud to be an American,
who served my country in the US Air Force,
to protect the rights of my fellow Americans,
to hold protests against others like me.</pre><p></font color=blue>
Related resources
April 15, 2003 4:29:49 PM

Silence infidel or I shall flame you!!! ;)  I bought the processor with the intent on putting it in another mobo, but I wanted to check if it would work in my old one first...trying to be thrifty (read: cheap). I thought that the only difference would be the core voltage, and that maybe I would get a TbredA (1.65) volts instead of a TbredB (1.5). If the A came them it would work and everything would be hunky dory. If the B came then I would get a new Nforce2 board. Either way I win, but I wanted to make sure and get everybodies input before I bought the new MOBO.

Any man can withstand adversity...The true test of character is to give a man power <i>Abraham Lincoln</i>
April 15, 2003 4:30:03 PM

Kt266

April 15, 2003 4:35:35 PM

Did you look for a bios update?

<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=white>*</font color=white><font color=blue>*</font color=blue>
... And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
April 15, 2003 4:37:23 PM

Heh heh. I can appreciate your attempt at saving money. Unless I'm missing some neat trick though, short of a voltage mod the answer seems to be fairly obvious. :) 

Hmm ... I wonder if anyone makes a Palomino to Thoroughbred converter like those Tualatin to Coppermine converters...

<font color=blue><pre>I'm proud to be an American,
who served my country in the US Air Force,
to protect the rights of my fellow Americans,
to hold protests against others like me.</pre><p></font color=blue>
April 15, 2003 5:49:23 PM

I beleive it has to do with your max multiplier being 14 for that mobo in which case that cpu is not compatable. What speed is the Tbred B you have ?

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!
April 15, 2003 6:20:38 PM

I think you are out of luck if you have a K7V Dragon (KT266).

If you have a K7V Dragon Plus (KT266A) and it was purchased before June 2002 then it needs a mod to support Tbred.

If it was purchased after June 2002 then it likely already has the mod.

You can find more information at the Soyo newsgroup, alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo. You can also use Google Groups. Here's a link but I am not sure it will work if you are not registered.

<A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe..." target="_new">http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe...;/A>

Search with keywords "Dragon" and "tbred".

The mod involves soldering in a 1000 mfd capacitor and removing one surface mounted capacitor. As far as I know the mod is for the Dragon Plus only (not the Dragon).

[<b>Addition</b>]
Also try the overclockers NG, alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd. Lot's of good information on getting Tbred to work on anything from KT133 (non A) boards to KT333 and other chipsets.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 04/15/03 02:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 15, 2003 8:46:35 PM

thanks...I'll check it out!

!