Can't get it up ! (Gateway G6 333 Mghz)

lee

Running w98SE after doing an up date which never completed started
having errors on my E drive. Did Disk Doctor and now the darn computer
won't boot. I am getting NVRAM update failed and keyboard error and
then it just locks up. Also get as it is loading 2 quick beeps and then
1. Any tips. I tried loading startup floppy and also my Norton Rescue
disk with no luck. Any comments will be appreciated or should I just
take it out back and shoot it? (grin) Oh yes 256 megs of ram.

Lee

"NVRAM update failed" is a symptom that the flash memory chip on the motherboard
has literally worn out. In addition to the BIOS code, the NVRAM contains the
Windows Plug-and-Play data. EVERY time Windows boots up, it updates the NVRAM,
whether the NVRAM contents have changed or not. Yet another contribution of
Micro$oft to the planned obselescene of computers.

Either shoot the computer to get it out of its misery or find an inexpensive
replacement motherboard. If the motherboard is Intel-made, compatible and
slightly upward compatible ATX motherboards are readily available for cheap.
The major expenditure to get the system right is the time spent replacing the
board... Ben Myers

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:02:19 -0400, Lee <lbray5032@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Running w98SE after doing an up date which never completed started
>having errors on my E drive. Did Disk Doctor and now the darn computer
>won't boot. I am getting NVRAM update failed and keyboard error and
>then it just locks up. Also get as it is loading 2 quick beeps and then
>1. Any tips. I tried loading startup floppy and also my Norton Rescue
>disk with no luck. Any comments will be appreciated or should I just
>take it out back and shoot it? (grin) Oh yes 256 megs of ram.
>
>Lee

lee

Ben Myers wrote:

> Either shoot the computer to get it out of its misery or find an inexpensive
> replacement motherboard. If the motherboard is Intel-made, compatible and
> slightly upward compatible ATX motherboards are readily available for cheap.
> The major expenditure to get the system right is the time spent replacing the
> board...

Hi Ben

Thanks for the reply, am loading my 38 now! Will play around some more
as I can't hurt it any more than it is now. Almost time to try to
convince the wife that replacement is necessary! (grin)

Lee