Your question

athlon xp on kt133 board

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Chipsets
  • Windows XP
Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2003 4:45:01 PM

can a athlon xp 1800+ (133*11.5) work on a kt133 chipset board up to 1200 MHz (100*12) amd cpu. i.e. the athlon xp would be runing on this board with the same multiplier and with 100MHz FSB (11.5*100 = 1150 MHz).

the board is a matsonic ms8127c+
http://www.matsonic.com/ms8127c+.htm

thanks!

Sérgio

More about : athlon kt133 board

April 15, 2003 5:18:37 PM

Well, for what it's worth, the chip will work in that board. As you suspect it may not come up to full speed if you can't set the FSB to 133mhz. You will end up with about 1150 something MHZ.

Not to be sniffed at, but far from optimum.

I'd suggest either a Duron 1300 or a new motherboard.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---
April 15, 2003 5:28:11 PM

I'm certainly not an expert on doing what you're describing, but here are my thoughts:

1) You would probably have to make sure that it was a Palomino Athlon XP 1800+ because a Thoroughbred Athlon 1800+ probably wouldn't like being that over-volted.

2) Teq is right that you're probably better off getting a Duron. (Or a new motherboard.) The info from the link that you provided says that your motherboard supports up to a Duron 1.2GHz. Why not just go with that instead?

<font color=blue><pre>I'm proud to be an American,
who served my country in the US Air Force,
to protect the rights of my fellow Americans,
to hold protests against others like me.</pre><p></font color=blue>
Related resources
April 15, 2003 6:04:51 PM

you can get a duron 1.3 and a ECS K7S7A for like, 160 dollars.

how much is the 1800+ going to cost? 110?

how aobut this. dont be anxious, dont be wasteful with your money. WAIT an extra week or 2 until your next paycheque and get a motherboard and processor that matches. itll only cost you like, 50-70 more bucks man

blah.. siggys suck
April 15, 2003 9:42:48 PM

well... duron 1300 doesnt work. tested it allready.
duron 1200 cant get it anymore. i also want to use old sdram with this board. a new board will probably get me to buy ddr ram and thats out of question. dont want to spend any more money cause i want to sell this sh*t to another guy.

unfortunately i have a tbred A so it might not worth risk to fry the cpu, right?

many thanks guys!
April 15, 2003 10:56:42 PM

I don't know about your board in particular but other people have installed a Tbred B into KT133 mobos and have had good success.

I've installed a mod'd Tbred B 1700+ into a Abit KT7 (KT133 not KT133A). It runs at 2000 Mhz, 20 x 100 (~XP2400+).

Others have not been so lucky with XP1700+ or XP1800+.

Tbred B XP2100+ or Tbred B XP2400+ (Tbred B) are a better choice since they don't require mods and they have sufficient default voltage to POST.

One thing that is important is that your mobo supports multiplier adjustments since you need to make use of the multiplier remapping function in order to get a Tbred to run at correct speeds.

To enable the multiplier remapping function a CPU must have a default multiplier of 13x or higher (XP2100+ or higher).

These are the common remaps

7x -> 15x
7.5x -> 22.5x
8x -> 16x
8.5x -> 16.5x
9x -> 17x
9.5x -> 18x
10x -> 23x
10.5x -> 24x
11.5x -> 19x
12.5x/13x -> 20x

As long as you can get it to POST you should be OK. You can use the multiplier that is most appropriate and stable. To run an XP2100+ at near stock speed you'd pick 9x which would POST at 17 x 100 or 1700 Mhz.

This is why I say a Tbred B XP2100+ or higher is a better choice because it is easier to get it to POST and you don't have to mod like you do with XP1700+ and XP1800+.

I don't know if it works on every motherboard but this sort of upgrade becoming quite common.

The best information about installing Athlon XP's in KT133 mobos can be found at Wes Newell's site. He has a Tbred B XP2100+ @2400 Mhz in his KT7. (That's 2400 Mhz not XP2400+).

<A HREF="http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/" target="_new">http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/&lt;/A>

You'll also find lots of information in this news group, alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd, or through Google Groups at link below.

<A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1..." target="_new">http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1...;/A>

Anyway, it is possible to put Tbred B's in KT133 mobos and run them at full speed but they will run on a 100 Mhz FSB, of course.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>
April 16, 2003 12:25:21 AM

the board doesnt have any multiplier jumpers, neither can select multiplier in bios. if i could make it run just at 1150 MHz it would be wonderfull! is it still possible?

and another question. the board gives the core voltage requested by the cpu right? so why this voltage problem? wouldnt be more of a problem if the cpu requested more voltage than the board could offer? since the tbred i own will only request 1.5V that shouldnt be a problem to a board that can deliver 1.8V, right?

sorry (more than a question)
April 16, 2003 1:14:33 AM

Pretty sure 1150 Mhz IS what you will get with that XP1800.

Voltage should not be a problem. The KT133 mobos would run the old Durons and I think the Duron 600-700's were 1.5 volt, same as your Tbred XP1800+.

Duron 1300 was/is trouble for a lot of old boards that don't know what to do with that 13x default multiplier. I don't think the XP1800+ will be any trouble because it has 11.5x.

If you feel ambitious there are several mods that you can do that can get you to 16 x 100 which is just a little higher than the stock speed for an XP1800+.

Some of the mods are riskier than others.

I like the wire mod, putting fine wires into the correct socket holes to force the multiplier you want.

You can also cut and paint the L3 bridges on the chip. (You did say it was a Tbred A that you have? You'd need to modify different bridges for a Palomino).

A third option is modifying the motherboard. This is more work but it is an option. Basically you solder traces from pins which correspond to multiplier pins on the socket on the backside of the motherboard. Tying the pins to ground (Vss) is like closing the L3 bridges. Tying them to Vcc is like cutting the bridges. This actually overrides the L3 bridge settings but it's similar.

If you really want to go all out you can solder in DIP switches which would let you change multipliers at will. I haven't read about anyone that has done this yet but it is theoretically possible.

I've done both a chip mod, a wire mod, and combination of both. Haven't tried the motherboard mods.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>
April 16, 2003 3:01:47 AM

no, dude you misunderstood me

i said, get a NEW mobo, a ECS K7S5A and a Duron 1.3

the ECS is a good, very cheap motherboard

there problem solved

blah.. siggys suck
April 16, 2003 3:17:56 AM

I would say- stay 100 miles away from ECS K7S5A.

There's a combo mobo from MSI (MSI KT2 combo). Newer, based on KT266A and haven't heard any complain aginst it so far. Besides people have countless problems with ECS K7S5A

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>
April 16, 2003 12:41:50 PM

i understand you phial. but more money is out of question. buying only the xp cpu is much cheaper than a new cheap mobo and a duron. i only need the cpu and the guy who wants this from me, is not much interested in cpu speed. he just wants a decent pc for office, mp3 and divx playing, cd burning, some game playing and win2k. so i think a 1150 MHz cpu with a lot of ram is more than adequate for him. he has a pentium 200 you know?

i'll try the 1800+ on the matsonic mobo one of these days and then i'll post how i succeded. wich me luck.

thanks to everyone!
April 16, 2003 12:56:35 PM

Quote:
he just wants a decent pc for office, mp3 and divx playing, cd burning, some game playing and win2k.

Hell, my old Pentium133 system could run MS Office apps just fine, play MP3s peachy-keen, burn CDs, and play plenty of games. (Older games, but still fun games none-the-less.) I doubt that it could have played DivX movies though. And I've no idea what the minimum CPU requirement for Win2K is.

April 16, 2003 4:32:46 PM

well,

for win2k is needed a 133MHz pentium actually. but since tomshardware installed xp in a 100MHz pentium i've seen everithing. we've tested win2k in his pentium 200 (256 MB ram) but it has a lot of cpu activity in the background with no antivirus software whatsoever (i wonder why). games were much slower than in win98se, etc...

even in win98se he cant burn cds at full speed and divx, forget it. 500/600 MHz would be fine for him, but it seams like 1150 is the least you can get in this case.
April 16, 2003 4:44:32 PM

Quote:
even in win98se he cant burn cds at full speed

Well, I only had a 2x burner, but it always ran fine at 2x on my P133.

Quote:
and divx, forget it

One of those PCI cards to decode mpeg4 would do it. You don't really need processor speed for that when you have the right hardware. :) 

Quote:
500/600 MHz would be fine for him, but it seams like 1150 is the least you can get in this case.

Hmm. Maybe in your area. I can find 1.2GHz Durons and other old chips like that pretty easily and from reliable resellers. But with the options that can be used when encoding divx, at least 1GHz is probably for the best anyway. I was just intrigued on that a P133 seems to be still useful these days. It'd meet most of his needs and it's ancient. I guess it's just funny to me. :) 

!