AMD or Intel???

kshardul

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
I want to build a good, fast system for myself. Till a few weeks ago, I was thinking about AthlonXP with A7N8X. But I'm a little worried about the future upgradability of the system. The Athlon doesn't seem to have a good upgrade path as compared to the P4. As recenly Intel announced the 875 and P4 seems to have a good upgrade path, what with 800 fsb and HT. So I've started leaning towards 875+P4. Its important that my system after 1.5 years still be upgradable to a faster processor (with the latest architecture) on the same mobo.

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
Though high-end P4s are the fastest around AMD is still the best bang for bucks. AMD has traditionally always been more upgrade friendly Intel constantly changing its designs so radically that you have to replace your relatively new motherboard as well if you want a faster CPU. Although the P4 is deemed the king of overclocking the AMD XP Tbred-Bs are as good if not better now for this and run cooler as well.

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
I would recommend Athlon XP and Soltek 75-FRN. The A7N8X is a very unstable board if you ask me. But that's just me it seems. I think ASUS gets way too much attention, for a stability that seems compromised, at least with their latest products. That is, at least what I've experienced.

If you want upgradeability, it seems the 875P is a very good choice. However if price concerns you, you can get an Athlon XP system with a 3000+ CPU and the mainboard I mentioned for like $180 less. But then again, the new P4 is faster. But is it worth almost $200 extra. That's for you decide. I'd say it isn't.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
i believe so as well Fo Sho you mOfO

:)

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

My friends Gaming Review Site. Check it out.
*i was the one playing UT2003 in teh review heh heh* "feels important"

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Well intel will be useless to you by the end of the year as they are changing the socket yet again for prescott. AMD is a possibility depending on how long they keep producing Barton or T-Bred core CPU`s. But still 18Months is a pretty high order for upgradability.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'