World of problems getting to SP2

Hi all!
I am hurtin' here. I have a PC that I got from a friend (the conversation
started you know about computers, right). He had installed SP2 a while back
and had problems so he "uninstalled" it. Now we cannot get updates.

So...
I check it out and sure enough he cannot get KB898641 to load. By the looks
of the Add/Remove programs, he has been loading SP2 hotfixes for some time.
I went out to technet to research what others had encountered and didn't find
much. I tried to install the patch in safe mode to no avail.

So...
I searched MS and found SP2 and downloaded it, twice. I tried to burn it to
CD and got a cyclic redundancy error. Then I tried to run it accross the LAN
and got the same error.

I am seeking a little sage advice. Reformatting and reinstalling is a last
resort.
4 answers Last reply
More about world problems

    Hello , Ms will ship a hard copy of SP2 . No Charge . Try that . Perhaps
    restore completely .
    --
    KD

    "David Langschied" wrote:

    > Hi all!
    > I am hurtin' here. I have a PC that I got from a friend (the conversation
    > started you know about computers, right). He had installed SP2 a while back
    > and had problems so he "uninstalled" it. Now we cannot get updates.
    >
    > So...
    > I check it out and sure enough he cannot get KB898641 to load. By the looks
    > of the Add/Remove programs, he has been loading SP2 hotfixes for some time.
    > I went out to technet to research what others had encountered and didn't find
    > much. I tried to install the patch in safe mode to no avail.
    >
    > So...
    > I searched MS and found SP2 and downloaded it, twice. I tried to burn it to
    > CD and got a cyclic redundancy error. Then I tried to run it accross the LAN
    > and got the same error.
    >
    > I am seeking a little sage advice. Reformatting and reinstalling is a last
    > resort.

    David;
    Follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist:
    Step 1 gives options for getting SP-2 on CD.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "David Langschied" <DavidLangschied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:CA613026-3263-4096-9FBC-9FAB45A47B4C@microsoft.com...
    > Hi all!
    > I am hurtin' here. I have a PC that I got from a friend (the conversation
    > started you know about computers, right). He had installed SP2 a while
    > back
    > and had problems so he "uninstalled" it. Now we cannot get updates.
    >
    > So...
    > I check it out and sure enough he cannot get KB898641 to load. By the
    > looks
    > of the Add/Remove programs, he has been loading SP2 hotfixes for some
    > time.
    > I went out to technet to research what others had encountered and didn't
    > find
    > much. I tried to install the patch in safe mode to no avail.
    >
    > So...
    > I searched MS and found SP2 and downloaded it, twice. I tried to burn it
    > CD and got a cyclic redundancy error. Then I tried to run it accross the
    > LAN
    > and got the same error.
    >
    > I am seeking a little sage advice. Reformatting and reinstalling is a
    > last
    > resort.

    I have now downloaded the SP2 from the web three times. I have burned it ot
    two different disks the first using Pinnacle and the second letting Windows
    perform the copy. I have accessed it accross the LAN once.

    Every time, I get the data error (CRC). I have to believe that this is not
    an isolated incident. This error occurs after extraction has taken place.
    Any ideas?

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > David;
    > Follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    > Step 1 gives options for getting SP-2 on CD.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "David Langschied" <DavidLangschied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:CA613026-3263-4096-9FBC-9FAB45A47B4C@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi all!
    > > I am hurtin' here. I have a PC that I got from a friend (the conversation
    > > started you know about computers, right). He had installed SP2 a while
    > > back
    > > and had problems so he "uninstalled" it. Now we cannot get updates.
    > >
    > > So...
    > > I check it out and sure enough he cannot get KB898641 to load. By the
    > > looks
    > > of the Add/Remove programs, he has been loading SP2 hotfixes for some
    > > time.
    > > I went out to technet to research what others had encountered and didn't
    > > find
    > > much. I tried to install the patch in safe mode to no avail.
    > >
    > > So...
    > > I searched MS and found SP2 and downloaded it, twice. I tried to burn it
    > > CD and got a cyclic redundancy error. Then I tried to run it accross the
    > > LAN
    > > and got the same error.
    > >
    > > I am seeking a little sage advice. Reformatting and reinstalling is a
    > > last
    > > resort.

    David;
    That error generally means there is something wrong with the file.
    Order the CD.

    Another cause may be bad memory.
    Reseat all your memory sticks.
    Perform the Windows Memory Diagnostic:
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    If there is an error proceed accordingly.
    If it passes:
    If you have multiple memory sticks, remove one at a time making sure to keep
    at least the 64 mb Windows XP minimum.
    Use trial and error to determine if a stick is bad.

    --

    message news:0CFA2B24-BB7B-43B3-AC2B-F770C1B9D64A@microsoft.com...
    >I have now downloaded the SP2 from the web three times. I have burned it
    >ot
    > two different disks the first using Pinnacle and the second letting
    > Windows
    > perform the copy. I have accessed it accross the LAN once.
    >
    > Every time, I get the data error (CRC). I have to believe that this is
    > not
    > an isolated incident. This error occurs after extraction has taken place.
    > Any ideas?
    >

    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> David;
    >> Follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist:
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    >> Step 1 gives options for getting SP-2 on CD.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >> "David Langschied" <DavidLangschied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:CA613026-3263-4096-9FBC-9FAB45A47B4C@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hi all!
    >> > I am hurtin' here. I have a PC that I got from a friend (the
    >> > conversation
    >> > started you know about computers, right). He had installed SP2 a while
    >> > back
    >> > and had problems so he "uninstalled" it. Now we cannot get updates.
    >> >
    >> > So...
    >> > I check it out and sure enough he cannot get KB898641 to load. By the
    >> > looks
    >> > of the Add/Remove programs, he has been loading SP2 hotfixes for some
    >> > time.
    >> > I went out to technet to research what others had encountered and
    >> > didn't
    >> > find
    >> > much. I tried to install the patch in safe mode to no avail.
    >> >
    >> > So...
    >> > I searched MS and found SP2 and downloaded it, twice. I tried to burn
    >> > it
    >> > CD and got a cyclic redundancy error. Then I tried to run it accross
    >> > the
    >> > LAN
    >> > and got the same error.
    >> >
    >> > I am seeking a little sage advice. Reformatting and reinstalling is a
    >> > last
    >> > resort.

Windows XP