news:1113508464.390592.27500@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
Date: 14 Apr 2005 12:54:24 -0700

OK. I know I've been on borrowed time. My antique 5500CT was good
enough for what I was using it for, however, last night it died. I
got a 'fatal exception, you must reload Windows' message and it
died. It won't fully boot, it gets to the point of saying PIII,
133mhz and quits. Won't boot from floppy either. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Sounds like maybe a few boot files are corrupt. If you have a Startup
disk to boot off of a floppy, give that a shot. That way at least you
know everything but the hard drive is probably okay. Check the hard
drive cables, maybe they had come loose. If that isn't it, I'd try to
reinstall the OS. If that doesn't work (and carefully it might wipe out
everything on your hard drive), I'd buy another hard drive. And
hopefully you will be okay.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

tom_garbacik@msn.com wrote:
> OK. I know I've been on borrowed time. My antique 5500CT was good
> enough for what I was using it for, however, last night it died. I
> got a 'fatal exception, you must reload Windows' message and it
> died. It won't fully boot, it gets to the point of saying PIII,
> 133mhz and quits. Won't boot from floppy either. Any suggestions?
> Thanks!

eBay et al and swap the disc? Otherwise, shopping.hp.com :) and
dig-up the data backups (assuming you have them).

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

You might have to check the boot order of the laptop. It is probably set to
boot from HD, CDROM, then Diskette. Or CDROM, HD, Diskette in that order.
You need to get inot the BIOS to change the boot order if you want to boot
Diskette first. Sounds like yoru Laptop could boot from CD so if you put the
Bootable OS CD ROM, you should be able to boot from CD. Depending on your
OS, you may be able to repair the Windows without having to reload if it is
just file corruption. If the HD starts to go bad, You don't have much choice
but to replace it.

Dewaine

Rick Jones wrote:

> tom_garbacik@msn.com wrote:
> > OK. I know I've been on borrowed time. My antique 5500CT was good
> > enough for what I was using it for, however, last night it died. I
> > got a 'fatal exception, you must reload Windows' message and it
> > died. It won't fully boot, it gets to the point of saying PIII,
> > 133mhz and quits. Won't boot from floppy either. Any suggestions?
> > Thanks!
>
> eBay et al and swap the disc? Otherwise, shopping.hp.com :) and
> dig-up the data backups (assuming you have them).
>
> rick jones
> --
> Wisdom Teeth are impacted, people are affected by the effects of events.
> these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :)
> feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

I've changed the boot order, no luck. Even with a new hd, it can no
longer find the floppy either in the bay or attached via cable, or the
cd rom. Guess I'm out of luck unless there is another way to get it
to recognize some sort of drive so that I can load the o/s.

You mean that the laptop doesn't even recognize the Diskette, CD ROM even
in BIOS???? That is weird. Double check and make suer the new boot order
setting is saved in the BIOS.

D.

tom_garbacik@msn.com wrote:

> I've changed the boot order, no luck. Even with a new hd, it can no
> longer find the floppy either in the bay or attached via cable, or the
> cd rom. Guess I'm out of luck unless there is another way to get it
> to recognize some sort of drive so that I can load the o/s.

OK. By disabling external cache, it saw (finally) the floppy. I was
able to boot from the floppy into safe mode. With external cache
disabled, I can now boot from the hard disk, but it is really slow -
about 20 min. to boot. Is a faulty external cache repairable?

TRENDING THREADS