  • Windows XP
  • Microsoft
  • Hard Drives
August 13, 2005 5:24:17 AM

I just recently upgraded to XP Pro, I am in the process of building a new
machine, when I move everything to the new box Will I have trouble
activating XP again? I plan on using the same hard drive. I will most likely
do a reformat and start from scatch.

Thanks!

More about : activation question

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 5:24:18 AM

It depends on the type of disk you have and how long since you activated.
If it is a retail update disk, and it's been 120 days; it should activate
with no problem.

--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"PJF" <pjf123@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just recently upgraded to XP Pro, I am in the process of building a new
>machine, when I move everything to the new box Will I have trouble
>activating XP again? I plan on using the same hard drive. I will most
>likely do a reformat and start from scatch.
>
> Thanks!

August 13, 2005 5:24:18 AM

You might have to call MS and explain the deal. If this new machine's XP Pro
is activated 120 days after first activation on the old machine, Internet
Activation will work fine.
"PJF" <pjf123@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just recently upgraded to XP Pro, I am in the process of building a new
>machine, when I move everything to the new box Will I have trouble
>activating XP again? I plan on using the same hard drive. I will most
>likely do a reformat and start from scatch.
>
> Thanks!

August 13, 2005 5:24:18 AM

Hi,

As long as you have a retail, not an OEM, version, then you should not
encounter any resistance to reactivation. You may need to phone it in if it
has been less than 120 days since it was last activated. An OEM version
generally cannot be transferred to a new system, they are permanently tied
to the system they are activated on.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"PJF" <pjf123@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just recently upgraded to XP Pro, I am in the process of building a new
>machine, when I move everything to the new box Will I have trouble
>activating XP again? I plan on using the same hard drive. I will most
>likely do a reformat and start from scatch.
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 5:24:18 AM

PJF wrote:
> I just recently upgraded to XP Pro, I am in the process of building a
> new machine, when I move everything to the new box Will I have trouble
> activating XP again? I plan on using the same hard drive. I will most
> likely do a reformat and start from scatch.
>
> Thanks!

No, you should have no trouble activating, it should activate over the
internet just fine.
At worst, you may have to call a toll free number to get a new activation
code...

If you are using the same hard drive, you really do not have to do a clean
reformat. I presume from your post you already have XP Pro installed on this
hard drive.
When you boot up the new machine with this hard drive installed the first
time, do NOT let it boot into windows, go into the bios, set it to boot from
the cd, and reboot with the XP Pro cd in. Then, do not choose the repair
with ASR, choose new install. Then it will find your existing XP Pro
install, select it, and choose R for repair.
This basically does an in place upgrade, which will detect and set your new
motherboard's settings. After the repair install is done and it has booted
into windows, then install your new motherboard drivers which you should
have on a cd that came with the new motherboard.

This all assuming, you have a retail full or upgrade version of XP Pro, an
OEM version can only do a clean install, and may be limited to the original
motherboard it was installed on.

Hope this helps,

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 5:24:18 AM

You may not only have problems activating; If you have a new
motherboard with a different chipset you may get a blue screen lockup
on bootup, usually 2-4 seconds after the Windows XP logo appears.
August 13, 2005 6:16:26 AM

Its a retail upgrade disk. I guess i'll have to wait the 120 days then.

"NotMe" <cargod01@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It depends on the type of disk you have and how long since you activated.
> If it is a retail update disk, and it's been 120 days; it should activate
> with no problem.
>
> --
> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> "PJF" <pjf123@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I just recently upgraded to XP Pro, I am in the process of building a new
>>machine, when I move everything to the new box Will I have trouble
>>activating XP again? I plan on using the same hard drive. I will most
>>likely do a reformat and start from scatch.
>>
>> Thanks!

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:16:27 AM

"PJF" <pjf123@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:_JcLe.912$Y55.605@trnddc06...
> Its a retail upgrade disk. I guess i'll have to wait the 120 days then.

There is no reason to wait 120 days if you don't want to. Load everything
on the new box. When it is loaded see if it will activate automatically
over the internet. If that fails, choose to activate by phone instead.
Your worst case scenario is you spend five minutes or so on the phone and
just let the rep know that you rebuilt the machine to a new one and that XP
is no longer on the old machine.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

August 13, 2005 6:16:27 AM

No need to wait, you will just have to call MS from the number supplied on
screen when you try to activate and get a failure message.
If it's been over 120 days, it should activate online without a problem.

--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"PJF" <pjf123@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:_JcLe.912$Y55.605@trnddc06...
> Its a retail upgrade disk. I guess i'll have to wait the 120 days then.

> "NotMe" <cargod01@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It depends on the type of disk you have and how long since you activated.
>> If it is a retail update disk, and it's been 120 days; it should activate
>> with no problem.
>> --
>> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
>> "PJF" <pjf123@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I just recently upgraded to XP Pro, I am in the process of building a new
>>>machine, when I move everything to the new box Will I have trouble
>>>activating XP again? I plan on using the same hard drive. I will most
>>>likely do a reformat and start from scatch.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

August 13, 2005 6:23:01 AM

It is a Retail Upgrade disk.

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> PJF wrote:
>> I just recently upgraded to XP Pro, I am in the process of building a
>> new machine, when I move everything to the new box Will I have trouble
>> activating XP again? I plan on using the same hard drive. I will most
>> likely do a reformat and start from scatch.
>>
>> Thanks!
>

> No, you should have no trouble activating, it should activate over the
> internet just fine.
> At worst, you may have to call a toll free number to get a new activation
> code...
>
> If you are using the same hard drive, you really do not have to do a clean
> reformat. I presume from your post you already have XP Pro installed on
> this hard drive.
> When you boot up the new machine with this hard drive installed the first
> time, do NOT let it boot into windows, go into the bios, set it to boot
> from the cd, and reboot with the XP Pro cd in. Then, do not choose the
> repair with ASR, choose new install. Then it will find your existing XP
> Pro install, select it, and choose R for repair.
> This basically does an in place upgrade, which will detect and set your
> new motherboard's settings. After the repair install is done and it has
> booted into windows, then install your new motherboard drivers which you
> should have on a cd that came with the new motherboard.
>
> This all assuming, you have a retail full or upgrade version of XP Pro, an
> OEM version can only do a clean install, and may be limited to the
> original motherboard it was installed on.
>

> Hope this helps,
>

> --
> Don Burnette
>
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
> way of the man that's doing it."

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:23:02 AM

You should be fine then.

Be aware, if you do a format and clean install, it wil prompt you at some
point to insert qualifying media , ie win me, win98, etc.

Also, be aware if you do the repair install as I suggested, and your current
installed version of XP Pro is SP2, and your Cd is SP1 or prior, it will
repair install it to the version that is on the cd, so you would need to go
and dowload SP2 and any other updates you would need.

Personally, I have installed 3 motherboards since having XP, and done the
repair install each time without issue.

Like I said, at worst you may have to call a toll free number to activate,
but you won't have any problem, doing what you are doing with your retail
version of XP Pro is perfectly legit.

Best of luck,

Don Burnette

PJF wrote:
> It is a Retail Upgrade disk.
>

> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> PJF wrote:
>>> I just recently upgraded to XP Pro, I am in the process of building
>>> a new machine, when I move everything to the new box Will I have
>>> trouble activating XP again? I plan on using the same hard drive. I
>>> will most likely do a reformat and start from scatch.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>

>> No, you should have no trouble activating, it should activate over
>> the internet just fine.
>> At worst, you may have to call a toll free number to get a new
>> activation code...
>>
>> If you are using the same hard drive, you really do not have to do a
>> clean reformat. I presume from your post you already have XP Pro
>> installed on this hard drive.
>> When you boot up the new machine with this hard drive installed the
>> first time, do NOT let it boot into windows, go into the bios, set
>> it to boot from the cd, and reboot with the XP Pro cd in. Then, do
>> not choose the repair with ASR, choose new install. Then it will
>> find your existing XP Pro install, select it, and choose R for
>> repair. This basically does an in place upgrade, which will detect and
>> set
>> your new motherboard's settings. After the repair install is done
>> and it has booted into windows, then install your new motherboard
>> drivers which you should have on a cd that came with the new
>> motherboard. This all assuming, you have a retail full or upgrade version
>> of XP
>> Pro, an OEM version can only do a clean install, and may be limited
>> to the original motherboard it was installed on.
>>

>> Hope this helps,
>>

>> --
>> Don Burnette
>>
>> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of
>> the way of the man that's doing it."
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 9:48:13 AM

Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to save you information to CD.

!