Removing USB causes PC Crash (BSOD)

Yes, this problem has been posted to this newsgroup a number of times but as
yet no-one has found a solution.

My feeling is that SP2 install causes this but you might have a better idea.

This problem occurred with an old harddrive and also has now occurred after
installing a new harddrive and a new install of Windows XP Pro SP1 followed
by install of the SP2 upgrade.

The problem:
Whenever I remove either a flash memory stick or a card reader from any of
the USB ports the PC crashes with the following blue screen:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Tech Info
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000188, 0x00000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9)

A check of the Event Viewer shows no errors, however, the 'Save Dump' reads
as follows:
"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a
(0x00000188, 0x000000ff, 0x00000000, 0x804e35e9). A dump was saved in:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081305-01.dmp"

I have checked for conflicts and the only one is IRQ 20 is shared by both
'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System' and 'SiS 7001 PCI to USB OPen Host
Controller'.

I have tested by moving the USB mouse and it does not cause a BSOD. It only
happens with the memory devices that show the USB connection in the taskbar.

I have seen this problem posted many times so it is obviously an issue with
some PCs.

Any suggestions would help. I am thinking that un-installing SP2 may be the
only solution.

regards

PeterH
1 answer Last reply
More about removing crash bsod

    Just a thought: is your virus checker trying to scan your usb device, causing
    an error.
    Does your motherboard support usb 2.0?

    "My View" wrote:

    > Yes, this problem has been posted to this newsgroup a number of times but as
    > yet no-one has found a solution.
    >
    > My feeling is that SP2 install causes this but you might have a better idea.
    >
    > This problem occurred with an old harddrive and also has now occurred after
    > installing a new harddrive and a new install of Windows XP Pro SP1 followed
    > by install of the SP2 upgrade.
    >
    > The problem:
    > Whenever I remove either a flash memory stick or a card reader from any of
    > the USB ports the PC crashes with the following blue screen:
    > IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > Tech Info
    > STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000188, 0x00000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9)
    >
    > A check of the Event Viewer shows no errors, however, the 'Save Dump' reads
    > as follows:
    > "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a
    > (0x00000188, 0x000000ff, 0x00000000, 0x804e35e9). A dump was saved in:
    > C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081305-01.dmp"
    >

    > I have checked for conflicts and the only one is IRQ 20 is shared by both
    > 'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System' and 'SiS 7001 PCI to USB OPen Host
    > Controller'.
    >

    > I have tested by moving the USB mouse and it does not cause a BSOD. It only
    > happens with the memory devices that show the USB connection in the taskbar.
    >

    > I have seen this problem posted many times so it is obviously an issue with
    > some PCs.
    >

    > Any suggestions would help. I am thinking that un-installing SP2 may be the
    > only solution.
    >

    > regards
    >

    > PeterH

Blue Screen USB Windows XP