Keyboard and mouse not responding with windows 7

angrygamer1986

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
I have an hdd that came pre installed with windows 7 64 bit. i recently purchased a sabertooth x79 (bios version 2104) mb and a intel i7 sandy bridge 3.2 ghz and tried to hook up my hdd to it. As it was a new mb, i had to reinstall windows, but as my windows did not come with a disk, i did it by restoring factory defaults. everthing seemed to go smoothly until windows 7 was booted and my keyboard and mouse decided to stop working. they work fine in bios and before i boot. but when windows 7 is booted they dont work. i tried 2 different keyboards and mice and in each usb slot. i also tried to boot in safe mode but it wont let me run the windows setup in that mode (and they dont respond there either). any idea what might be causing this or what i can do?

chugot9218

Honorable
I second ^^ but you can also try plugging in through the PS/2 port if it has it available (which it looks like it does). Also, your Windows copy may be OEM and thus tied to the MOBO, I find it hard to believe that you could access Windows at all if this is the case, but it could be.

angrygamer1986

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

i believe you are right how my hdd is tied to my old mobo. i put the hdd back into my old mobo and what do you know, everything works perfect. i bought the entire desktop as a whole 2 years ago and i guess the parts were not meant to be interchangable.

btw it was an HP computer i had in case anybody else runs into the same problem.