Computer acting squirrley-want to reload XP

It keeps doing strange things. If you click on recent documents, it says
they aren't there, but they are. If you click on a file, the program comes
up, but the file won't open until you click it again. That's only a couple
of examples. I've reloaded office and it didn't help. So I decided to
reload XP. It says I have a newer version on my computer that what is on the
disk and if I load it, I will lose files and programs. I'm assuming it's a
newer version becuase of all the windows updates. I also keep getting SYS32
? errors, plus run time errors. Can anyone out there help me?
3 answers Last reply
More about computer acting squirrley want reload

    Try installing xp cd,exit the info page,restart computer,boot to xp cd,at info
    page select,install xp,repair this copy.All updates are lost but xp stays
    intact
    as do youre settings,files,etc...

    "JDM" wrote:

    > It keeps doing strange things. If you click on recent documents, it says
    > they aren't there, but they are. If you click on a file, the program comes
    > up, but the file won't open until you click it again. That's only a couple
    > of examples. I've reloaded office and it didn't help. So I decided to
    > reload XP. It says I have a newer version on my computer that what is on the
    > disk and if I load it, I will lose files and programs. I'm assuming it's a
    > newer version becuase of all the windows updates. I also keep getting SYS32
    > ? errors, plus run time errors. Can anyone out there help me?

    JDM,

    Try the System File Checker (SFC).

    How to run 'System File Checker'
    * insert WinXP-SP2 CD

    * Start > Run > type sfc /scannow , click OK

    * Scan should begin verifying files are in place & not corrupted

    Drew

    "JDM" <JDM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It keeps doing strange things. If you click on recent documents, it says
    > they aren't there, but they are. If you click on a file, the program
    > comes
    > up, but the file won't open until you click it again. That's only a
    > couple
    > of examples. I've reloaded office and it didn't help. So I decided to
    > reload XP. It says I have a newer version on my computer that what is on
    > the
    > disk and if I load it, I will lose files and programs. I'm assuming it's
    > newer version becuase of all the windows updates. I also keep getting
    > SYS32
    > ? errors, plus run time errors. Can anyone out there help me?

    Hi,

    Reloading won't help if you do a repair installation, and it won't help to
    do a clean installation if you don't change someone's bad surfing habits.
    What you are probably suffering from is the manifestation of one or more
    pieces of spyware installed on the system. These can help:

    AdawareII www.lavasoft.de
    Spybot www.safer-networking.org

    From MVP Richard Harper on cleaning up malware infested systems:
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

    This one can help you avoid these programs from being installed in the first
    place:
    Spyware Blaster: www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827315

    The error regarding a 'newer system is already installed' occurs because you
    have installed a service pack that is a higher level than the version on CD.
    Using this for a repair installation will result in the system being reset
    to the earlier state, but should not remove any of the user profiles or
    cause loss of data in a repair installation (though that is no excuse for
    not backing up everything critical to you first).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "JDM" <JDM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It keeps doing strange things. If you click on recent documents, it says
    > they aren't there, but they are. If you click on a file, the program
    > comes
    > up, but the file won't open until you click it again. That's only a
    > couple
    > of examples. I've reloaded office and it didn't help. So I decided to
    > reload XP. It says I have a newer version on my computer that what is on
    > the
    > disk and if I load it, I will lose files and programs. I'm assuming it's
    > newer version becuase of all the windows updates. I also keep getting
    > SYS32
    > ? errors, plus run time errors. Can anyone out there help me?

Computers Windows XP