Can Sysprep harm your OS or Config?

August 13, 2005 8:28:00 PM

I believe you need to run SYSPREP -mini before you start IMAGING your HD to
clone it.

Apparently this wipes out your Computer Name and Network settings.

Is there some way of saving this info so that it can be restored? Does this
cause harm to your OS?

Can you just do a system restore back to this point? If you have saved a SYS
restore point?

Thanks.

More about : sysprep harm config

August 13, 2005 8:28:01 PM

jm7 wrote:

> I believe you need to run SYSPREP -mini before you start IMAGING your
> HD to clone it.
>
> Apparently this wipes out your Computer Name and Network settings.
>
> Is there some way of saving this info so that it can be restored?
> Does this cause harm to your OS?
>
> Can you just do a system restore back to this point? If you have saved
> a SYS restore point?
>
> Thanks.

What imaging software are you using? Are you talking about imaging
hundreds of computers or just your own?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I am using Acronis True Image. They recommend using True Image but the
cloned computer and the original computer won't be existing on the same
network - i am just upgrading to a new machine without having to reinstall
all the applications

And yes I am only cloning 1 machine.

Thanks,
August 14, 2005 1:02:40 PM

jm7 wrote:

> I am using Acronis True Image. They recommend using True Image but
> the cloned computer and the original computer won't be existing on the
> same network - i am just upgrading to a new machine without having to
> reinstall all the applications
>
> And yes I am only cloning 1 machine.
>
> Thanks,

Then you don't need to use Sysprep at all. Make a bootable cd w/Acronis
and create your image. Save the image on something useful like a second
hard drive or external hard drive. Then boot the new computer with the
Acronis cd (with the image source attached) and restore the image. You
can go in and change your network settings afterwards. Please
understand that both machines will need to have identical hardware for
this to work.

Malke
--
!