Speaker vs Amplifier matching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahg

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I'm looking to get a new amplifier to replace the one I currently I have, but I don't know much about the all the different ratings. I've read that too much/too little wattage can damage the amplifier or speakers.

My speakers have a rating of 100 (no units) and 8ohm

My current amplifier is 100 watts. It has a number of screws for attaching speakers but I believe the pair of speakers is connected to the common and 4ohm screws. (it also has ground, and 70V and 8/16ohm connections IIRC) It was professionally set up around 14 years ago, so I don't remember to much about it.

I want to replace this with a stereo amplifier. What would be an acceptable wattage/ohm/voltage to replace the old one?

EDIT: Ok, I found the booklet for the amplifier and it appears that for the terminal connections being used the speaker line is 4 watts unbalanced

EDIT: Further reading reveals the amplifier is a Bogen CT100C and the speakers are (2) Paso C324THP sound columns

Power Rating: 100W RMS
Freq Response: 100 - 20khz
Power Taps:
25V 100-50-25-12.5-6-3W
70V 100-50-25W
Sound Pressure: 25db
Dirvers: 4 5" Drivers/Tweeter

Tahg

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Well, I don't think I need anything as powerful as what I saw on Amazon. I did find a calculator on Crown's site, and it seems like I only need about 10 watts/channel.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Depends what kind of music you listen to. For example, classical music has up to 60dB peaks. 60dB = 64 times the power required. So if your listening level averages to 1W, you need ~70W/channel amplifier to avoid clipping.

If your amplifier clips repeatedly it can damage your speakers, as the voltage surge does not allow the voice coils to cool properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.