Jun 12, 2001
Last Aug. I built a new system with overclocking in mind, here are the specs
P4 1.8a 512kb L2 cache
Epox 4g4a+
512mb Corsaire Platinum PC 2700
Antec 430 tru power
WD 80gb SE
Radeon 8500 retail 64mb
The install went smooth, but I had to set my coreV to 1.7v to run my CPU @ 2.4 by simply increasing the FSB from 100 to 133.Now I've read all about the Sudden death syndrome on Northwood cores over 1.7 so I never went over that. So this last few weeks my rigs been locking up during games alot so I do the driver reinstall and updates thing, same results, I set my memory timings back to conservative, same results, my temperatures are the same they have always been 38idle up to 52 under heavy load, so I rule out a heat issue however I live in Texas and the ambient temperature in my office has risen significantly lately, it's about 78 -80 in my office with the windows open and by the way I have 2 intake 2 outtake fans in my case not to mention a HSF on my chipset and a old celeron HSF on my 8500 all with ASII including my CPU. S i decide to set my rig back to the stock voltage and run my system @ 100fsb. I do this and the crashes stop, 3dmark completes, all is good. So I wonder does the OC need MORE voltage. I set the FSB back to 133 and increase the voltage to 1.725, reboot, run 3d mark and it completes successfully. Even though the official bios setting is 1.725, MBM says it is 1.71 and the onboard sensor says 1.69. So after all that my question is am I safe A that voltage or am I pushing my luck? What reading should I rely on? and why after 8 mos @ 1.7 do I need to up the voltage more to get it stable? Thanks for your input.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

I had the same problem with my first p4, a 1.6a. After a couple of months of running at 133, it started giving me blue screens, so I set it back to 100, then 130. I would suggest you try 130 fsb at the default cpu voltage, and see how it runs.

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Wow, this must be a tough one, thats why I came here. 1 response in 34 hours, Crash? somebody, anybody, put my mind at ease, or tell me to live with the 1.8. Thanks for the reply O1die

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by twc on 04/18/03 07:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I had an exact same problem with an Athlon T-Bred 2100+ at 2.37gighz. Only The only thing I can think of is the tracks degraded over time because of the higher voltage and the signal paths degraded as a result. My solution was to go down to 2.34gighz at lower voltage than before and it is fine now. I also had the exact same thing with a RAM DIMM BTW. One day it just wouldnt do what it could before. And I know someone else that he had to keep upping the voltage to keep the same overclock stable and over time he just destroyed the CPU from voltage. So it seems to be another side effect from overclocking. But thats not going to stop me doing it though. :)
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Ok, I'll step on the landmine...

Run the thing stock speed and at factory voltages. If you want to go faster, buy a faster CPU.

I don't get all this enthusiasm for overclocking. The best you're going to achieve is 10 or 15% boost in CPU performance which probably translates to a 1 or 2% increase in overall system performance. Given the number of "no boot" systems that seem to result from this trend I'd say it's starting to look like more trouble than it's worth.

Here's something to ponder... most people won't notice CPU miniscule speed differences. These are measurable only on benchmarks. Increasing speeds in steps of less than 30% probably won't make any apparent difference in your overall system. when I do upgrades I generally recommend 50% as a minimum worthwhile step and that's because I've had people pay me for upgrades of 15 or 20% and then complain that the system is no different than before.

Besides all that, overclocking is a crap shoot. If the CPU you buy is already near the top of it's tolerances it won't overclock at all. Some, like my old P1 200 overclock so well that I actually ran it at overspeed and undervoltage for nearly 3 years. But there is just no way you can be sure when you order the chip... it really does depend on manufacturing tolerances...

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
You just dont get it do you. I am very rapidly losing any respect I had for you when I first encountered you. I dont call a 50% speed increase (2200Mhz Which is an avarage overclock with T-Bred 1700) a waste of time. Or 1.8Gighz to 2.4Gighz (34%) on a P4 while also increasing the FSB from 100 to 133Mhz (33% FSB increase). And the T-Bred B`s have proven it is not a crap shoot. Nothing of the sort. They have proven to constantly get a minimum of 2Gighz ON STOCK COOLING with low temps and more often than not at default voltage. You need to get out and look at what home/entertainment computing really is all about. And you dont know what it is all about yet. Sure you have given some good advice at times on this forum but more often than not you are just spouting crap lately.
AREA_51

Corrected spelling and also reworded a few setences (fiixed a bit of grammer) and also want to add that 1.8 to 2.4 is a 34% overclock. BTW the FSB increase 100 to 133Mhz is 33% Not a waste of time at all.

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vk2amv on 04/19/03 10:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pettygreen

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2003
My p4 1.8a w/volcano 7+ asus p4b533 kingmax 256 runs at 2.66 145/1.65/1.7v-memory. idle at 43 med speed and 53 full load. I live here in the philippines so I think the temperature is hot here.

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Could you reply that to Teq so he knows and tell him if you noticed a speed difference or not.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'