Disk Drive Used Space Indicates More Data Than I can Find

I am running Windows XP SP2 with a Silicon Image SATARaid card running
a 150GB mirrored volume. The fee space indicated by windows explorer
indicates I have 19GB but when I add all the directory sizes together
it only comes to 90GB. I have checked "Show hidden files and
directories" and also ran a virus scan.

I remember reading an article about how hackers can use disk on remote
hosts and hide the data but have no idea how to check this, also I may
be barking up the wrong tree. Can anybody help I'm mistified?
4 answers Last reply
More about disk drive space data find

    How much disk space is allocated to system restore? Have you tried disk
    cleanup and disk defragmenter?

    "Daren" <daren@dhubbard.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I am running Windows XP SP2 with a Silicon Image SATARaid card running
    > a 150GB mirrored volume. The fee space indicated by windows explorer
    > indicates I have 19GB but when I add all the directory sizes together
    > it only comes to 90GB. I have checked "Show hidden files and
    > directories" and also ran a virus scan.
    >
    > I remember reading an article about how hackers can use disk on remote
    > hosts and hide the data but have no idea how to check this, also I may
    > be barking up the wrong tree. Can anybody help I'm mistified?

    See if this fixes your problem:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_sysrestore_blank.htm

    Daren said ...
    > I am running Windows XP SP2 with a Silicon Image SATARaid card running
    > a 150GB mirrored volume. The fee space indicated by windows explorer
    > indicates I have 19GB but when I add all the directory sizes together
    > it only comes to 90GB. I have checked "Show hidden files and
    > directories" and also ran a virus scan.
    >
    > I remember reading an article about how hackers can use disk on remote
    > hosts and hide the data but have no idea how to check this, also I may
    > be barking up the wrong tree. Can anybody help I'm mistified?

    I have had similar problems - my C: drive (partition size around 70GB)
    is using about 26MB measured by windows explorer but the pie chart in
    the c: properties said I was using 59GB. No-one was able to help me on
    this but when I turned off system restore, my space was recovered. I
    then turned system restore back on again. Then I noticed that each time
    I re-booted I was losing a further 0.5 - 1.0 GB of space and no extra
    restore points were being created. When I had got to the point where
    my usage was back up at the 50GB or so level, I turned off system
    restore again, and again my space was recovered. I have left system
    restore disabled for the past couple of weeks and I now do not get extra
    space used every time I re-boot: my space usage is remaining at about
    26GB. I can't figure it out and I don't want to have to reinstall
    windows. I would like to be able to just reinstall system restore as
    perhaps it's damaged in some way, but I don't know how to do that. I've
    a feeling this has happened maybe as a result of a recent windowsupdate
    but I have no proof of this except that I have heard that a number of
    people are having the same problem. Could be a virus of course - but
    then it seems to get disabled when system restore is disabled.

    Hope this helps to some extent.
    --
    Sam

    Thanks for this, I completely forgot about system restore. So with this
    in mind I;

    1 - Disable System Restore on that volume
    2 - In Disk Cleanup ran the System Restore 'Clean up' and
    restarted
    3 - Defrag'd the disk and restarted
    4 - Tried to run check disk but when I restarted it just hangs. I
    have seen this before, I think check disk doesn't handle RAID volumes
    that well (could be wrong though)

    And still, there's seems to be far more used disk space than actual
    data.....arghh!!!

Disk Drive Windows XP