Disk Drive Used Space Indicates More Data Than I can Find

August 13, 2005 4:51:10 AM

I am running Windows XP SP2 with a Silicon Image SATARaid card running
a 150GB mirrored volume. The fee space indicated by windows explorer
indicates I have 19GB but when I add all the directory sizes together
it only comes to 90GB. I have checked "Show hidden files and
directories" and also ran a virus scan.

I remember reading an article about how hackers can use disk on remote
hosts and hide the data but have no idea how to check this, also I may
be barking up the wrong tree. Can anybody help I'm mistified?

More about : disk drive space data find

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 9:25:31 AM

How much disk space is allocated to system restore? Have you tried disk
cleanup and disk defragmenter?

"Daren" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP SP2 with a Silicon Image SATARaid card running
> a 150GB mirrored volume. The fee space indicated by windows explorer
> indicates I have 19GB but when I add all the directory sizes together
> it only comes to 90GB. I have checked "Show hidden files and
> directories" and also ran a virus scan.
>
> I remember reading an article about how hackers can use disk on remote
> hosts and hide the data but have no idea how to check this, also I may
> be barking up the wrong tree. Can anybody help I'm mistified?

August 13, 2005 1:50:54 PM

"Daren" <daren@dhubbard.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP SP2 with a Silicon Image SATARaid card running
> a 150GB mirrored volume. The fee space indicated by windows explorer
> indicates I have 19GB but when I add all the directory sizes together
> it only comes to 90GB. I have checked "Show hidden files and
> directories" and also ran a virus scan.
>
> I remember reading an article about how hackers can use disk on remote
> hosts and hide the data but have no idea how to check this, also I may
> be barking up the wrong tree. Can anybody help I'm mistified?

See if this fixes your problem:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_sysrestore_blank.ht...
Related resources
August 13, 2005 4:25:44 PM

Daren said ...
> I am running Windows XP SP2 with a Silicon Image SATARaid card running
> a 150GB mirrored volume. The fee space indicated by windows explorer
> indicates I have 19GB but when I add all the directory sizes together
> it only comes to 90GB. I have checked "Show hidden files and
> directories" and also ran a virus scan.
>
> I remember reading an article about how hackers can use disk on remote
> hosts and hide the data but have no idea how to check this, also I may
> be barking up the wrong tree. Can anybody help I'm mistified?

I have had similar problems - my C: drive (partition size around 70GB)
is using about 26MB measured by windows explorer but the pie chart in
the c: properties said I was using 59GB. No-one was able to help me on
this but when I turned off system restore, my space was recovered. I
then turned system restore back on again. Then I noticed that each time
I re-booted I was losing a further 0.5 - 1.0 GB of space and no extra
restore points were being created. When I had got to the point where
my usage was back up at the 50GB or so level, I turned off system
restore again, and again my space was recovered. I have left system
restore disabled for the past couple of weeks and I now do not get extra
space used every time I re-boot: my space usage is remaining at about
26GB. I can't figure it out and I don't want to have to reinstall
windows. I would like to be able to just reinstall system restore as
perhaps it's damaged in some way, but I don't know how to do that. I've
a feeling this has happened maybe as a result of a recent windowsupdate
but I have no proof of this except that I have heard that a number of
people are having the same problem. Could be a virus of course - but
then it seems to get disabled when system restore is disabled.

Hope this helps to some extent.
--
Sam
August 13, 2005 10:41:02 PM

Thanks for this, I completely forgot about system restore. So with this
in mind I;

1 - Disable System Restore on that volume
2 - In Disk Cleanup ran the System Restore 'Clean up' and
restarted
3 - Defrag'd the disk and restarted
4 - Tried to run check disk but when I restarted it just hangs. I
have seen this before, I think check disk doesn't handle RAID volumes
that well (could be wrong though)

And still, there's seems to be far more used disk space than actual
data.....arghh!!!
!