Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

My home wireless network has worked flawlessly for months but one of my PCs
suddenly refused to work last night.

I have a BT Broadband connection (1Mb). This connection works OK since the
other PCs in my home connect OK (I am typing this from my wireless laptop).

My hardware is: BT Voyager wireless router/modem. Belkin wireless network
adapter. All running at 801g (54Mbit). I let my Belkin software manage the
connection (not Windows). I'm running Windows XP SP2.

Last night my Internet connection suddently went down. The PC was previously
working fine (and connecting to the Internet without a problem). The icon in
the system tray was reporting "limited connectivity" but I had something
else to do and ignored the problem.

But this morning the same problem arose. This time I appeared to have full
(90%) connectivity according to the icon in the system tray. So I expected
to connect to the Net without problems - but I couldn't (it timed-out).
Worse, I can't connect to my router's home page. But my PC reports that my
wireless adaptor is working OK and that I have connectivity (ranging from
90-95%). But nothing works.

Sometimes the system tray reports "limited connectivity" but if I disable
and enable the connection it goes back to (almost) full connectivity. But I
still can't "see" my wireless router (i.e. it's admin web page).

I'm at a loss. Help!

Cheers.

Bobby

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

Did you reboot the router?
"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> previously working fine (and connecting to the Internet without a
> problem). The icon in the system tray was reporting "limited connectivity"
> but I had something else to do and ignored the problem.
>
> But this morning the same problem arose. This time I appeared to have full
> (90%) connectivity according to the icon in the system tray. So I expected
> to connect to the Net without problems - but I couldn't (it timed-out).
> Worse, I can't connect to my router's home page. But my PC reports that my
> wireless adaptor is working OK and that I have connectivity (ranging from
> 90-95%). But nothing works.
>
> Sometimes the system tray reports "limited connectivity" but if I disable
> and enable the connection it goes back to (almost) full connectivity. But
> I still can't "see" my wireless router (i.e. it's admin web page).

It may be something simple. Have any neighbours recently added a wireless
network? Have you installed anything that may be interfering? i.e. cordless
phone, cheap fan that generates a lot of r/f noise, fluorescent desk lamp.
etc.

Kerry

Bobby wrote:
> My home wireless network has worked flawlessly for months but one of my PCs
> suddenly refused to work last night.
>
> I have a BT Broadband connection (1Mb). This connection works OK since the
> other PCs in my home connect OK (I am typing this from my wireless laptop).
>
> My hardware is: BT Voyager wireless router/modem. Belkin wireless network
> adapter. All running at 801g (54Mbit). I let my Belkin software manage the
> connection (not Windows). I'm running Windows XP SP2.
>
> Last night my Internet connection suddently went down. The PC was previously
> working fine (and connecting to the Internet without a problem). The icon in
> the system tray was reporting "limited connectivity" but I had something
> else to do and ignored the problem.
>
> But this morning the same problem arose. This time I appeared to have full
> (90%) connectivity according to the icon in the system tray. So I expected
> to connect to the Net without problems - but I couldn't (it timed-out).
> Worse, I can't connect to my router's home page. But my PC reports that my
> wireless adaptor is working OK and that I have connectivity (ranging from
> 90-95%). But nothing works.
>
> Sometimes the system tray reports "limited connectivity" but if I disable
> and enable the connection it goes back to (almost) full connectivity. But I
> still can't "see" my wireless router (i.e. it's admin web page).
>
> I'm at a loss. Help!
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Firstly try to check your TCP/IP settings. Do you use DHCP ?
try:
start/run/cmd
ipconfig

If everything looking alright try to check your WEP and SNR.

If still isn't working I could propose you to check your firewalls,
antyvir softwere at your PC.

Best Regards
Marcin Gaszewski

In article <3m5t5fF15ei48U1@individual.net>, Bobby says...
> My home wireless network has worked flawlessly for months but one of my PCs
> suddenly refused to work last night.
>
> I have a BT Broadband connection (1Mb). This connection works OK since the
> other PCs in my home connect OK (I am typing this from my wireless laptop).
>
> My hardware is: BT Voyager wireless router/modem. Belkin wireless network
> adapter. All running at 801g (54Mbit). I let my Belkin software manage the
> connection (not Windows). I'm running Windows XP SP2.
>
> Last night my Internet connection suddently went down. The PC was previously
> working fine (and connecting to the Internet without a problem). The icon in
> the system tray was reporting "limited connectivity" but I had something
> else to do and ignored the problem.
>
> But this morning the same problem arose. This time I appeared to have full
> (90%) connectivity according to the icon in the system tray. So I expected
> to connect to the Net without problems - but I couldn't (it timed-out).
> Worse, I can't connect to my router's home page. But my PC reports that my
> wireless adaptor is working OK and that I have connectivity (ranging from
> 90-95%). But nothing works.
>
> Sometimes the system tray reports "limited connectivity" but if I disable
> and enable the connection it goes back to (almost) full connectivity. But I
> still can't "see" my wireless router (i.e. it's admin web page).

If you're using MAC address filtering, check that.

--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:32:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>As it is an all-in-one unit, I would disconnect the machines from it during
>this operation.

sure. For info, in the UK separate ethernet ADSL modems are not very
common, and are usually a nuisance as the default DSL service is PPPoA
and not PPPoE.

Cheers,

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

Try this:

> [...]

> The network also includes two laptops (including the one I'm typing
> this on) and another desktop PC. All connect wirelessly. All work
> perfectly.
>
> My problem PC was working perfectly. I did not make any network
> changes. I am reluctant to stop messing about with TCP/IP settings.
>
> My modem and router is a combined unit. I switched it off last night
> but the problem persisted this morning when I tried again. I presume
> switching it off is the same as a reboot. The lights on the
> modem/router report no problems whatsoever and every other PC/laptop
> works OK.
>
> I can't connect to my modem/router web management page so something
> fundamental must be going wrong between my PC and the router.
>
> I am going to try to re-install my wireless network adaptor software.
> Then I will replace my wireless adaptor to see if that helps.

Have you re-booted the problem PC? Does that help?

If the PC *appears* to be connected to the PC but can't talk to it, some of
the PCs wireless settings may have got corrupted somehow.

What level of wireless security are you using - encryption, MAC address
filtering, hiding SSID, etc.? If using encryption, make sure that the type
and parameters are set up on the PC exactly as on the router. If using MAC
address filtering, make sure that the PC's wireless card's MAC address is in
the router's Permitted table.

Can you ping the router from the PC?

You can *check* the PC's TCP/IP settings without having to mess with/change
them. When you type "ipconfig /all" at the Command prompt, does it display
an IP address in the same range as that of the router, and with the same
subnet mask?

[If you don't know how to interpret what it is telling you, copy the output
from ipconfig /all and paste it into this thread - preferably with the
equivalent output from a PC which *does* work].
--
Cheers,
Tim

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

"Tiscali Tim" <tele@privacy.net> wrote in message

timothy dear why do you call yourself tiscali timmy when you dont even use
piscalli :)

Perhaps for the same reason as you call yourself <@> ?

--
Cheers,
Tim

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:32:30 -0400, "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers"
> <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >As it is an all-in-one unit, I would disconnect the machines
> from it during
> >this operation.
>
> sure. For info, in the UK separate ethernet ADSL modems are
> not very
> common, and are usually a nuisance as the default DSL service
> is PPPoA
> and not PPPoE.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil
> --
> Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

"ethernet ADSL modems"

You mean a router? Like the one I have? (I live in England)

"and are usually a nuisance as the default DSL service is PPPoA and
not PPPoE."

You sure about that? My BT connection work with both PPPoE and PPPoA.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Sudden-wireless-network-problem-ftopict408274.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1355384

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

On 13 Aug 2005 19:35:40 -0400, Sparda
<UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

>"ethernet ADSL modems"
>You mean a router? Like the one I have? (I live in England)

no, I mean an ADSL modem using ethernet to connect to a single device.

>"and are usually a nuisance as the default DSL service is PPPoA and
>not PPPoE."
>You sure about that? My BT connection work with both PPPoE and PPPoA.

yes I am sure, the default is PPPoA, it is the one BT recommend, they
also added support for PPPoE which AOL use for one. I don't believe
all ISPs support PPPoE (it adds overhead and an extra client).

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

Poster

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

On 13 Aug 2005, Sparda <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

(posting reformatted - there's little need to quote a whole post,
including signature, and then duplicate text, as you can insert
your own comments quite easily with most news services...)

>"Phil" wrote:
> > On 13 Aug 2005, "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

> > in the UK separate ethernet ADSL modems are not very common,
>
>You mean a router? Like the one I have? (I live in England)

No, I think Phil means what he said.... there are a few non-router
units with an ethernet interface, not USB. For example there's the
D-Link DSL-300T (from memory).

> > usually a nuisance as the default DSL service is PPPoA and not PPPoE.
>
>You sure about that? My BT connection work with both PPPoE and PPPoA.

I'm interested if that is even possible, given a problem a neighbour
(on AOL) has been having. It might be related, or coincidence, that
everything fell apart after a speed regrade... (and no, seems not a
speed/stability/attenuation/SNR problem after tests with my router).

--

UK ADSL <http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4> - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
E-mail + files - 30 day free trial - <http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/>

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

On 13 Aug 2005 19:35:40 -0400, Sparda
<UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

>You sure about that? My BT connection work with both PPPoE and PPPoA.

You sure about that?

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The prize goes to the people who suggested that my network settings had got
corrupted.

But no-one got the solution -- restoring the PC using system restore.
Although I guess the WinSock fix would probably have worked too.

I think that the problem was caused by a Windows update. I think that I
switched off my PC during an update - Windows reported this and said that I
could continue the shutdown but I think that my problems arose after this.

Anyway, system restore solved my problem. In fact, system restore solves
every (software) problem in my experience.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Bobby

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:40:43 +0100, "Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com>
wrote:

>Anyway, system restore solved my problem. In fact, system restore solves
>every (software) problem in my experience.

can also leave you with a broken windows installation requiring a
re-install :-(

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

In article <3m8hssF15s66gU1@individual.net>, "Bobby"
bobby@aventuremail.com says...
<snip>
> Anyway, system restore solved my problem. In fact, system restore solves
> every (software) problem in my experience.

It solves nothing in my experience, but that could be because I
always disable it because of the problems that it has caused me in
the past :)

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:20:53 +0100,it is alleged that Rob Morley
<nospam@ntlworld.com> spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

>In article <3m8hssF15s66gU1@individual.net>, "Bobby"
>bobby@aventuremail.com says...
><snip>
>> Anyway, system restore solved my problem. In fact, system restore solves
>> every (software) problem in my experience.
>>
>It solves nothing in my experience, but that could be because I
>always disable it because of the problems that it has caused me in
>the past :)

I believe it induces a false sense of security in people, I have
disabled it also, I prefer to backup using norton ghost :)

--
Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while.

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

> It solves nothing in my experience, but that could be because I
> always disable it

Yes, that might be the reason.

Disabling system restore IMO is not a good idea. It solves 99% of software
problems.

In article <3m9agnF15blonU1@individual.net>, "Bobby"
bobby@aventuremail.com says...
> > It solves nothing in my experience, but that could be because I
> > always disable it
>
> Yes, that might be the reason.
>
> Disabling system restore IMO is not a good idea. It solves 99% of software
> problems.

Why did you snip the bit that said "I always disable it because of

On 14 Aug 2005 18:11, Rob Morley <nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> Disabling system restore IMO is not a good idea. It solves 99% of software
>> problems.

>Why did you snip the bit that said "I always disable it because of
>the problems that it has caused me in the past"?

To have the last word, perhaps thinking that a couple of posts about problems
when system restore is used will be ignored if 'solves it in 99% of cases' is
the last thing people see on Google in a year's time. FWIW, I don't have any
System Restore in use, and in many cases it needs to be disabled when someone
has had a virus problem, so the benefits of using it get lost quickly when it
is (probably) seen as being useful. Dangerously, if a past restore point was
infected, 'going back' to 'solve' a problem might introduce a trojan/virus to
the system, once more :-( We lived without it in the past, didn't we :)

--

E-mail + files - 30 day free trial - <http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/>
Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,

USENET news service ? <http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4> (plans from under US$5)

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

> Dangerously, if a past restore point was
> infected, 'going back' to 'solve' a problem might introduce a trojan/virus
> the system, once more

Also dangerously, throwing your PC out of an upstairs window might cause
your hard drive to malfunction.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

Bobby <bobby@aventuremail.com> wrote:

>> Dangerously, if a past restore point was
>> infected, 'going back' to 'solve' a problem might introduce a
>> trojan/virus to
>> the system, once more
>
> Also dangerously, throwing your PC out of an upstairs window might
> cause your hard drive to malfunction.

You mean it will make a dent in the tarmac? <g>
--
Cheers,
Tim

Bobby wrote:
> Also dangerously, throwing your PC out of an upstairs window might cause
> your hard drive to malfunction.

It might also land on the courier coming to leave you a card telling you
you're not in.

Owain

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

"Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com> wrote in message
>> It solves nothing in my experience, but that could be because I
>> always disable it
>
> Yes, that might be the reason.
>
> Disabling system restore IMO is not a good idea. It solves 99% of software
> problems.

And, even if you cant get windows up and running, you can use the restore
settings to recover your previous backed up registry.

If you have system restore switched off, unless you manually backup your
registry, and your registry files get corrupted, then your installation is
unrecoverable.

Gaz