Sign in with
Your question

Dual Boot with MS Office 2002 XP Pro

Last response: in Windows XP
August 27, 2002 8:09:40 PM

I plan to configure a dual boot system (2 HD's) with 98 SE and XP Pro on seperate HD's. How can I get around Microsofts license that limits only one Office XP PRO installation per machine - they consider loading the application program on each HD/OS (for dual boot purposes) to be two machines and claim they won't allow it - please, any suggestions or work arounds?
August 27, 2002 9:30:43 PM

i dont think office has an authorization thing like windows. just install it and they wont be the wiser.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
August 27, 2002 10:06:18 PM

Actually they do know - several sources have confirmed (including Mirosoft) that each install after the first requires a "registration" for functionality - if MS detects that the key code has been used once, they prompt with an 800 to call to "get permission to re-install/explain why you are reregistering" (HD crashes, new computer after old Office program has been removed from old computer, etc). I have an older 600 mhz Dell - Dell tech confirms the above "hitch" with the 800 number prompt/requirement.
Related resources
August 28, 2002 12:02:33 AM

Dual booting your machine requires two licenses?

God damn.

That really chaps my ahole.

Yeah, there's a way around that. I'm not going to go into how to do it, but there's a way around it.

I never even really gave it much thought. Just another good reason for me to be figuring out Linux, at this point.

Msft: All American.

C@lling it like I c it...
August 28, 2002 12:48:55 AM

I wish you would go into the work around
August 28, 2002 1:56:48 AM

a way around OFFICE PA? That I haven't ever heard of.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
August 28, 2002 9:22:12 AM

Well I have orifice XP and I have installed it at least 6 times, I have never seen the restriction you are talking about! I have also installed it on a dual boot the same as you have mentioned and never had any problems. You might have an OEM version?

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink:
August 28, 2002 7:34:03 PM

you must have a corporate version?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
August 28, 2002 8:42:35 PM

Yes in fact I do, I forgot that. :smile:

I wonder if isolating the hard drive and booting using the O/S install CD, install orifice on each then see how that goes when the dual boot is re-established, it should work. That is of course you have operating systems on two separate hard drives.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty35 on 08/29/02 06:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!