Computer restarts randomly when playing games! HELP!

rebbon

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Okay, so I have a homebuilt PC, I've had it for about a year now. And for the past 6 months I have been getting these random restarts when I play games. And not only graphically intensive games, it even happened once when I was playing Minecraft!

My PC specs:

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
ASUS P8P67 LE Motherboard
Gigabyte HD6850 1GB
8GB RAM
750GB HDD
750W Corsair PSU

IT IS NOT AN OVERHEATING ISSUE!!

My CPU is at approximately 25-30 Degrees celsius at idle, and about 40-55 celsius in load. My GPU is about 40-45 degrees celsius idle, and goes up to about 50-60 degrees celsius at load.

It is not a PSU either!! I thought so at first so I swapped it. STILL RESTARTS! And I have changed my RAM aswell. STILL RESTARTS!

What could be causing this then? I also have disabled "Restart automatically" when something wrong happens in the Advanced System settings. I have all the latest Windows updates aswell.

Please help me! I'm really worried! I have anxiety problems and this is causing me to have chest pains!

rebbon

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Not from what I've noticed. I doubt it since the computer can be on for several hours without restarting. This means with no games running.

Although, this is weird. Because I remember that like some weeks ago I was playing Tera Online for 9 hours straight with no restart. And yesterday when I played WoW it restarted just after about 15+ minutes.

This is freaking me out, can you guys help me please? :-(

rebbon

Honorable
May 28, 2012
you say homebuilt but yet this thread is in the "Computer Brands / HP" section.?
I'm perplexed about what you actually have.

Sorry about that. It is homebuilt although I could only see subcategories like Dell, compaq, hp and so on...

rebbon

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Thanks for replying. But could a GPU trigger a reboot? I dont even get BSOD. It just restarts as if someone pulled out the power cable then back in and just started it. Either way I dont see how my GPU could reboot my system like that.

rebbon

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Thank you guys. I'll start checking out my power outlet and if it's still happening i'll check my GPU and MB.

Also I dont have onboard gfx, but I have a spare GTX 460 I can try.

And take charge and do something about that anxiety issue. Read articles on 'Stress' and 'Coping Behaviors' by Dr. Hans Selye who is the leading authority on the subject.

rebbon

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Thanks Ubrales for the tip, I sure will read them.

Also I am happy to announce that my problem is solved !!! :D. I switched my GPU and I have been playing Tera since yesterday and no reboots! So I guess there was something wrong with my other one, oddly enough.

Anyway, thank you Ubrales for your advice on my anxiety issues. And thank you Gman450 for helping me with this!

Best forum for technical assistance! :D

hatefulcreation

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
i also have been plagued by this problem for years. i've always had the same computer my dad assembled. over time i've swapped out a lot of parts. not the power supply (which might be doing it) but i have exchanged a processor, motherboard, and video card and maybe even a hard drive too.

after reading this topic i'm going to plug my computer directly into the wall instead like Ubrales suggested and if it continues i'll come back so we can discuss it further.

thanks for this great forum

This thread is nearly 3 years old!
I'd advise to start a new topic if you haven't already and link this thread within your post. You'll get more replies that way.

That said, the OP's problem was his graphics card. He switched it out with another one and his problems were gone. His old one was faulty it seems.