Resurecting a PB Legend Supreme 1600 (again?)

Sam

Hello,

I am trying to resurecting a Packard Bell Legend Spreme 1600 which had

Pentium 133MHz CPU,
24 MB EDO SIMM Ram,
Aztech (ISA) Sound/Modem Combo card. (FCC ID: 138-MMSN855 - No driver
found in Aztech web site)
ATI Wonder TV/Video 3D RageII+/DVD Card.
2GB Hard Drive.

Unfortunately I was not able to boot the system with the ATI Card, So I
removed it and able to boot it with the onboard video card.

Also the Aztech sound card, though Win98 identified it as AZTECH 2325,
I am not able to get any sound from the card. The cards output is
marked with icons instead of letters that in the fllowing order
MIDI/GamePort, Line-Out, Mic, Line-In, RJ-11 Port for Modem. Idont see
any Speaker out. So I hookup my speaker to the line-out but not hearing
anything. Also I see the CD-ROM drive is working fine, I can listen to
audio from the headphone, attached to the headphone jack in the
frontface panel of the CR-ROM. And also an CDAudio cable goes from the
CD-ROM drive back to the Aztech card CDAUDIO1 port/pins. CDAUDIO2 is
left open and not connected to anything.

I upgraded the memory to 128MB. Not sure this is good. But the system
detected the memroy and not error when booting.

Now the real question how to make the onboard Video disable and make
the ATI Wonder Video Card recognized by the system?

Appreciate any help.

Sam

You seem to be well ahead of the game so far. 128MB makes much more sense than
a meager 24MB.

Names like "Legend Supreme 1600" are nice sounding marketing names, but they do
not give a clue as to what is inside the system. You need to identify the model
of the motherboard to determine what needs to be done to install the ATI PCI
card properly. The motherboard's BIOS identification string is displayed when
the computer powers up initially. It shows up either near the top of the screen
just below the copyright statement or down near the bottom. Write it down and
let us know what it is. If the board is made by Intel (AMI BIOS), you need only
to install the ATI card, then add the drivers. Other boards may require a
jumper setting or two.

Depending on the model of motherboard, you may also do well to install a faster
processor, if you can get your hands on one... Ben Myers

On 12 Apr 2005 08:01:45 -0700, "Sam" <sams@freeddns.org> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am trying to resurecting a Packard Bell Legend Spreme 1600 which had
>
>Pentium 133MHz CPU,
>24 MB EDO SIMM Ram,
>Aztech (ISA) Sound/Modem Combo card. (FCC ID: 138-MMSN855 - No driver
>found in Aztech web site)
>ATI Wonder TV/Video 3D RageII+/DVD Card.
>2GB Hard Drive.
>
>Unfortunately I was not able to boot the system with the ATI Card, So I
>removed it and able to boot it with the onboard video card.
>
>Also the Aztech sound card, though Win98 identified it as AZTECH 2325,
>I am not able to get any sound from the card. The cards output is
>marked with icons instead of letters that in the fllowing order
>MIDI/GamePort, Line-Out, Mic, Line-In, RJ-11 Port for Modem. Idont see
>any Speaker out. So I hookup my speaker to the line-out but not hearing
>anything. Also I see the CD-ROM drive is working fine, I can listen to
>audio from the headphone, attached to the headphone jack in the
>frontface panel of the CR-ROM. And also an CDAudio cable goes from the
>CD-ROM drive back to the Aztech card CDAUDIO1 port/pins. CDAUDIO2 is
>left open and not connected to anything.
>
>I upgraded the memory to 128MB. Not sure this is good. But the system
>detected the memroy and not error when booting.
>
>Now the real question how to make the onboard Video disable and make
>the ATI Wonder Video Card recognized by the system?
>
>Appreciate any help.
>
>Sam

Sam

Thank you for the reply,
> The motherboard's BIOS identification string is displayed when
> the computer powers up initially. It shows up either near the top of
the screen
> just below the copyright statement or down near the bottom. Write it
down and
> let us know what it is.
The BIOS is AMI BIOS 1.00.08 DN0R

> If the board is made by Intel (AMI BIOS), you need only
> to install the ATI card, then add the drivers. Other boards may
require a
> jumper setting or two.
I have the ATI Video Card working, only thing is the Sound Card still
not working.

> Depending on the model of motherboard, you may also do well to
install a faster
> processor, if you can get your hands on one... Ben Myers
Yeah, definitly this need a Processor upgrade too, I am not sure this
mobo[bios] will take a P2 MMX Processor? If any url pointer to that I
will greatly appreciate.

Thank you again.

Sam

Sam

ATI Video Card is working and the onboard video is disabled. Thank you
for the instructions that really helped. Now only I made the Sound card
to work it will be a complete system for playing Multimedia etc.

Thank you

Sam

Now we're getting somewhere. The DN0R BIOS suffix indicates an Intel-made
Orlando NV430 motherboard. You can get the complete technical spec here:

http://www.x86.org/intel.doc/intelmotherboards.htm

In summary, the fastest possible processor is a 233MHz Pentium MMX, and the
maximum memory is 128MB, consisting of 4x32MB EDO 72-pin SIMMs. The audio chip
is a Crystal 4236, and you should be able to find drivers on either the Crystal
or the Intel web site.

If you want to upgrade the system to the max, contact me off-line and I'll give
you prices for CPU, memory and a new CPU cooling fan. Reasonable prices for the
year 2005, that is... Ben Myers email: ben_myers@charter.net

On 15 Apr 2005 12:46:56 -0700, "Sam" <sams@freeddns.org> wrote:

>Thank you for the reply,
>> The motherboard's BIOS identification string is displayed when
>> the computer powers up initially. It shows up either near the top of
>the screen
>> just below the copyright statement or down near the bottom. Write it
>down and
>> let us know what it is.
>The BIOS is AMI BIOS 1.00.08 DN0R
>
>> If the board is made by Intel (AMI BIOS), you need only
>> to install the ATI card, then add the drivers. Other boards may
>require a
>> jumper setting or two.
>I have the ATI Video Card working, only thing is the Sound Card still
>not working.
>
>> Depending on the model of motherboard, you may also do well to
>install a faster
>> processor, if you can get your hands on one... Ben Myers
>Yeah, definitly this need a Processor upgrade too, I am not sure this
>mobo[bios] will take a P2 MMX Processor? If any url pointer to that I
>will greatly appreciate.
>
>Thank you again.
>
>Sam

Windows9566

Reputable
May 4, 2015
I have a nVidia Riva TNT PCI card with 16mb video ram in my supreme 1600
i don't like the aztech sound card cause it has horrible dos support and it won't
work with windows 3.1, only windows 95, windows 98, windows me, etc.
I would like to replace the aztech sound card with a soundblaster 16 or awe32

My PC specs:
CPU: 133 mhz pentium cpu
RAM: 32 mb
HDD: 2gb seagate medalist
Sound: aztech 2320 sound iii modem combo sound card (I would like to replace it with a soundblaster 16 or awe32)
Video: nVidia Riva TNT PCI 16mb and onboard s3 trio 64v+
OS: MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1

Chayan4400

Honorable

Please don't post on threads that are more then 2 months old, you do realise the last post in this thread was in 2005, right?