How to replace path slash character delimiters, when savin..

In eralier versions of windows, I often have saved www site pages as their
proper name with the forward slashes replaced with hyphens. This allows me to
know the full address when saving, indexing and for future reference. I often
append my own codes to the end or beginning of the saved name to aid in
searching.
New to XP however is the helpful but annoying automatic removal of pathname
slash characters wnen in the "save " dialog etc.
A long www site name has to be in an available foreground window position so
that I can see where the slashes are, so that I can insert hyphens. Very
annoying , troublesome, and time consuming.
Is there any tweak to have the slashes not auto removed, I want them there
so that I can replace them. I already know and have known for about 19 years
that you can use a slash as part of a filename, so I also dont need all the
fuss that goes with it.
regards,
dwyersm

If your referring to the : http://
Windows will automatically insert it for you. No need to add it.

"dwyersm" wrote:

> In eralier versions of windows, I often have saved www site pages as their
> proper name with the forward slashes replaced with hyphens. This allows me to
> know the full address when saving, indexing and for future reference. I often
> append my own codes to the end or beginning of the saved name to aid in
> searching.
> New to XP however is the helpful but annoying automatic removal of pathname
> slash characters wnen in the "save " dialog etc.
> A long www site name has to be in an available foreground window position so
> that I can see where the slashes are, so that I can insert hyphens. Very
> annoying , troublesome, and time consuming.
> Is there any tweak to have the slashes not auto removed, I want them there
> so that I can replace them. I already know and have known for about 19 years
> that you can use a slash as part of a filename, so I also dont need all the
> fuss that goes with it.
> regards,
> dwyersm

Why would you want to change a working URL to something different?

Just use Favorites | Add to Favorites.

To add a page to your list of favorite pages
1. Go to the page that you want to add to your Favorites list.
2. On the Favorites menu, click Add to Favorites.
3. Type a new name for the page if you want to.

Notes
To open one of your favorite pages, on the Favorites menu, click the page
you want to open.
As your list of favorite pages grows, you can organize them by moving them
into subfolders.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:C4A544BC-16A4-4DA9-B893-4EF85C380947@microsoft.com,
dwyersm <dwyersm@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> In eralier versions of windows, I often have saved www site pages as their
> proper name with the forward slashes replaced with hyphens. This allows
> me to know the full address when saving, indexing and for future
> reference. I often append my own codes to the end or beginning of the
> saved name to aid in searching.
> New to XP however is the helpful but annoying automatic removal of
> pathname slash characters wnen in the "save " dialog etc.
> A long www site name has to be in an available foreground window position
> so that I can see where the slashes are, so that I can insert hyphens.
> Very annoying , troublesome, and time consuming.
> Is there any tweak to have the slashes not auto removed, I want them there
> so that I can replace them. I already know and have known for about 19
> years that you can use a slash as part of a filename, so I also dont need
> all the fuss that goes with it.
> regards,
> dwyersm

Thanks guys.
I should be a little clearer. Firstly my last line should read "I already
know and have known for about 19 years that you CAN'T use a slash as part of
a filename, so I also dont need all the fuss that goes with it."- meaning
pop up reminders.

Secondly, I am not saving favoutites, I am saving a copy of the www page
itself, using the menu "File, Save As", and then copy and paste the www page
address
(including slashes, prior to XP) as the filename.

For example- If I want to save this page as a page (not a favourite), I go
to "File, Save As" then usually insert the copy and pasted address as the
filename. In this case it is
"www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx"

Then, while in the "Save As" dialog I replace the slashes with hyphens.
The saved filename is now
"www.microsoft.com-windowsxp-xpertzone-newsgroups-reader.mspx"

In versions prior to XP, the slashes get copy and pasted, but in XP they dont.
Its good to have them there before I replace them with hyphens, cos I know
where they are!, But not in XP though. The OS automatically removes them
within and during the "copy and paste" operation.
This then makes it a long winded operation to then actually insert the
hyphens where i thought the slashes SHOULD be. I have to keep the actual url
in the foreground somewhere on the desktop amongst all the clutter,whilst
constantly moving windows around everywhere, so that I know where the slash
delimiters are. Sometimes it can't be done, and I have to WRITE down the
complete url, as a memory saver.

regards,
Shane Dwyer
Oz

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Why would you want to change a working URL to something different?
>
> Just use Favorites | Add to Favorites.
>
> To add a page to your list of favorite pages
> 1. Go to the page that you want to add to your Favorites list.
> 2. On the Favorites menu, click Add to Favorites.
> 3. Type a new name for the page if you want to.
>
> Notes
> To open one of your favorite pages, on the Favorites menu, click the page
> you want to open.
> As your list of favorite pages grows, you can organize them by moving them
> into subfolders.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:C4A544BC-16A4-4DA9-B893-4EF85C380947@microsoft.com,
> dwyersm <dwyersm@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > In eralier versions of windows, I often have saved www site pages as their
> > proper name with the forward slashes replaced with hyphens. This allows
> > me to know the full address when saving, indexing and for future
> > reference. I often append my own codes to the end or beginning of the
> > saved name to aid in searching.
> > New to XP however is the helpful but annoying automatic removal of
> > pathname slash characters wnen in the "save " dialog etc.
> > A long www site name has to be in an available foreground window position
> > so that I can see where the slashes are, so that I can insert hyphens.
> > Very annoying , troublesome, and time consuming.
> > Is there any tweak to have the slashes not auto removed, I want them there
> > so that I can replace them. I already know and have known for about 19
> > years that you can use a slash as part of a filename, so I also dont need
> > all the fuss that goes with it.
> > regards,
> > dwyersm

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

dwyersm wrote on Sat, 13 Aug 2005:

>In versions prior to XP, the slashes get copy and pasted, but in XP they dont.
>Its good to have them there before I replace them with hyphens, cos I know
>where they are!, But not in XP though. The OS automatically removes them
>within and during the "copy and paste" operation.
>This then makes it a long winded operation to then actually insert the
>hyphens where i thought the slashes SHOULD be. I have to keep the actual url
>in the foreground somewhere on the desktop amongst all the clutter,whilst
>constantly moving windows around everywhere, so that I know where the slash
>delimiters are. Sometimes it can't be done, and I have to WRITE down the
>complete url, as a memory saver.

Hi Shane

How interesting. . . I tried this out but I have to tell you I can paste
an address with slashes in the Save Page As dialog box just fine. I
thought perhaps it was because I use Firefox as my browser but I have
tried it with IE and it works there too.

I'm wondering at what stage of the operation the slashes are being
removed on your system. Can you open Notepad and try to copy and paste
the website address to it? Do you get the slashes then?

~~ If you do, a possible workaround to stop you having to guess where
the delimiters are is to paste your addresses into Notepad, use
Edit/Replace to replace the slashes with hyphens, then paste the amended
address into the Save As. . . box.

~~ If you don't get the slashes when pasting to Notepad, have a look in
Clipboard Viewer to see what's actually being copied:
Start > Run, type clipbrd, click OK.

Also what flavour of XP are you using? Please do post back on what you
find out.

--
Nightowl

Sorry again guys, I should elaborate more.
Whilst in the "Save As" dialog box, and you paste in the copied www site
name, the slash delimiters are still there. However if you click the "Create
New Folder" icon at the top, and then paste in the copied www site name into
the folder name, the slashes are automatically removed, and a little yellow
dialog pops up to remind you not to use slashes in the folder name!
From this point on the slashes will always be removed for any future
pastings anywhere!

ie. The slashes stay for a filename, but the slashes are removed for a
folder name.

regards,
Shane Dwyer

"dwyersm" wrote:

> [...]
> > > In eralier versions of windows, I often have saved www site pages as their
> > > proper name with the forward slashes replaced with hyphens. This allows
> > > me to know the full address when saving, indexing and for future
> > > reference. I often append my own codes to the end or beginning of the
> > > saved name to aid in searching.
> > > New to XP however is the helpful but annoying automatic removal of
> > > pathname slash characters wnen in the "save " dialog etc.
> > > A long www site name has to be in an available foreground window position
> > > so that I can see where the slashes are, so that I can insert hyphens.
> > > Very annoying , troublesome, and time consuming.
> > > Is there any tweak to have the slashes not auto removed, I want them there
> > > so that I can replace them. I already know and have known for about 19
> > > years that you can use a slash as part of a filename, so I also dont need

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

dwyersm wrote on Wed, 17 Aug 2005:

>Sorry again guys, I should elaborate more.
>Whilst in the "Save As" dialog box, and you paste in the copied www site
>name, the slash delimiters are still there. However if you click the "Create
>New Folder" icon at the top, and then paste in the copied www site name into
>the folder name, the slashes are automatically removed, and a little yellow
>dialog pops up to remind you not to use slashes in the folder name!
>From this point on the slashes will always be removed for any future
>pastings anywhere!
>
>ie. The slashes stay for a filename, but the slashes are removed for a
>folder name.

Hi Shane

Try this:

[1] Copy and paste the web site address into the Save As dialog as
normal.

[2] Replace the slashes with hyphens and the colon after http: with your
preference.

[3] Click in the box to highlight and Ctrl-C to copy the amended
address.

[4] Now click on the New Folder icon and paste in the new address.

Or, as I suggested earlier, paste the original address into Notepad
(more room to see what you're doing :), amend it there and paste back
into the New Folder Name box.

--
Nightowl