XP Home install doesn't complete

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 13, 2005 7:45:02 AM

I'm trying to install windows xp home oem on a new pc build. the process
starts ok and it gets to the first reboot point with a "successful install"
message. However, on reboot it just starts the process all over again.

How do I get the start up process to recognise the install and complete the
set up?

More about : home install complete

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 9:10:02 AM

Take the installation CD out of the CD drive prior to rebooting. Set your
hard drive as the first boot device in your system BIOS.

"William" wrote:

> I'm trying to install windows xp home oem on a new pc build. the process
> starts ok and it gets to the first reboot point with a "successful install"
> message. However, on reboot it just starts the process all over again.
>
> How do I get the start up process to recognise the install and complete the
> set up?
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:12:13 PM

The computer boots off of the CD for the first part of the install process.
For all subsequent parts of the install, the computer must boot off of the
hard drive, but you must have the Windows XP CD in the CD tray for the
install program to access. It is up to YOU to make this happen on "your"
computer. It may not occur automatically.

Many/most new computer will ask you during booting, if you have a bootable
CD installed, if you want to boot from the CD. The information may instruct
you to press the "space" bar, or any other key to make this happen. With
some of the newer computer you are "protected?" from viewing this very
confusing (being facetious here) information by being shown a splash screen
from the computer manufacturer. This splash screen can usually be turned off
in the bios (good riddance).

When the first part of the install has completed, and the computer reboots,
DO NOT initiate the "boot from CD" sequence again. Allow the computer to
boot normally to continue with the installation.

If you have an older PC, you may have to initially go into the computer's
bios and manually set the boot sequence to boot from the CD first, with the
hard drive as a second boot device. This will allow the computer to start
the install process. If this is the case, after the first part of the
install has completed, you must again go into the bios and re-adjust the
boot sequence so that the hard drive becomes the first boot device and the
CD becomes the second device.

After that, the install will continue.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

"William" <William@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install windows xp home oem on a new pc build. the process
> starts ok and it gets to the first reboot point with a "successful
> install"
> message. However, on reboot it just starts the process all over again.
>
> How do I get the start up process to recognise the install and complete
> the
> set up?
Related resources
August 13, 2005 8:39:01 PM

Thanks, but no bananas yet.

There is no option other than to boot from CD. I went into bios and
disabled the cd from the boot sequence, still went straight in to the same
windows start up routine.

If I remove the CD the boot sequence stalls at "Boot from CD:" The CD is
still not part of the boot sequence in the bios.

I've read something about xp not recognising SATA drives and at the F6
prompt to install some drivers.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> The computer boots off of the CD for the first part of the install process.
> For all subsequent parts of the install, the computer must boot off of the
> hard drive, but you must have the Windows XP CD in the CD tray for the
> install program to access. It is up to YOU to make this happen on "your"
> computer. It may not occur automatically.
>
> Many/most new computer will ask you during booting, if you have a bootable
> CD installed, if you want to boot from the CD. The information may instruct
> you to press the "space" bar, or any other key to make this happen. With
> some of the newer computer you are "protected?" from viewing this very
> confusing (being facetious here) information by being shown a splash screen
> from the computer manufacturer. This splash screen can usually be turned off
> in the bios (good riddance).
>
> When the first part of the install has completed, and the computer reboots,
> DO NOT initiate the "boot from CD" sequence again. Allow the computer to
> boot normally to continue with the installation.
>
> If you have an older PC, you may have to initially go into the computer's
> bios and manually set the boot sequence to boot from the CD first, with the
> hard drive as a second boot device. This will allow the computer to start
> the install process. If this is the case, after the first part of the
> install has completed, you must again go into the bios and re-adjust the
> boot sequence so that the hard drive becomes the first boot device and the
> CD becomes the second device.
>
> After that, the install will continue.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
>
> "William" <William@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to install windows xp home oem on a new pc build. the process
> > starts ok and it gets to the first reboot point with a "successful
> > install"
> > message. However, on reboot it just starts the process all over again.
> >
> > How do I get the start up process to recognise the install and complete
> > the
> > set up?

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 11:47:57 PM

Gee! If you had posted initially that you were using a SATA drive, I would
not have even responded to you. Please, in the future, give all pertinent
information UP FRONT! It would have saved us both time.

--

> [...]
>> the
>> CD becomes the second device.
>>
>> After that, the install will continue.
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "William" <William@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm trying to install windows xp home oem on a new pc build. the
>> > process
>> > starts ok and it gets to the first reboot point with a "successful
>> > install"
>> > message. However, on reboot it just starts the process all over again.
>> >
>> > How do I get the start up process to recognise the install and complete

August 13, 2005 11:47:58 PM

Everything that is pertinent, may not seem that at first......who'd have
thought a product like windows wouldn't acknowledge the existance of
something as basic as a hard drive.....ok, its microsoft, I should have known
better.

I take it from your response, this may be the problem. I have therefore,
added a floppy drive to the hardware configeration and installed the two
drivers that came with the MB (storage and raid).

At first the reboot did exactly the same as befor, so I've gone back into
the bios and diabled all boot divices except for the hard drive. However,
this now returns a boot disk failure, insert system disk message.

I can only conclude either the hard drives are still not visable or this
wasn't the problem.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> If you have an older PC, you may have to initially go into the computer's
> >> bios and manually set the boot sequence to boot from the CD first, with
> >> the
> >> hard drive as a second boot device. This will allow the computer to start
> >> the install process. If this is the case, after the first part of the
> >> install has completed, you must again go into the bios and re-adjust the
> >> boot sequence so that the hard drive becomes the first boot device and
> >> the
> >> CD becomes the second device.
> >>
> >> After that, the install will continue.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Urban
> >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> Quote from: George Ankner
> >> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
> >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:18:21 AM

You may have to use the floppy disk with the SATA drivers during the 2nd
boot in the system install sequence, as well as during the first part. I
have seen where the first usage doesn't seem to copy the drivers to the hard
drive. It may be that the drivers are only in the RAM for some reason, and
the RAM clears during the first reboot! Then again, it could have been an
anomaly in my system.

--

> Everything that is pertinent, may not seem that at first......who'd have
> thought a product like windows wouldn't acknowledge the existance of
> something as basic as a hard drive.....ok, its microsoft, I should have
> known
> better.
>
> I take it from your response, this may be the problem. I have therefore,
> added a floppy drive to the hardware configeration and installed the two
> drivers that came with the MB (storage and raid).
>
> At first the reboot did exactly the same as befor, so I've gone back into
> the bios and diabled all boot divices except for the hard drive. However,
> this now returns a boot disk failure, insert system disk message.
>
> I can only conclude either the hard drives are still not visable or this
> wasn't the problem.
>

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Gee! If you had posted initially that you were using a SATA drive, I
>> would
>> not have even responded to you. Please, in the future, give all pertinent
>> information UP FRONT! It would have saved us both time.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "William" <William@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks, but no bananas yet.
>> >
>> > There is no option other than to boot from CD. I went into bios and
>> > disabled the cd from the boot sequence, still went straight in to the
>> > same
>> > windows start up routine.
>> >
>> > If I remove the CD the boot sequence stalls at "Boot from CD:" The CD
>> > is
>> > still not part of the boot sequence in the bios.
>> >
>> > I've read something about xp not recognising SATA drives and at the F6
>> > prompt to install some drivers.

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:54:52 AM

Using an OEM CD to install Windows on a newly built machine?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

!