WMP 10, Messenger 7 and Outlook 2003 all hanging

For some reason, Windows Media Player 10, MSN Messenger 7 and Outlook 2003
have all started intermittently hanging during normal usage. From what I can
tell, no other progs are affected.

Can anyone think of a reason / fix for this?

Thanks in advance
Tom
1 answer Last reply
More about messenger outlook 2003 hanging

    Did this behavior start immediately after -any- update/patch or the like ?
    If the intermittencies started say 3-5 days ago, you might try a System
    Restore to a day before the issues starting appearing. Trying to untangle
    hang-ups is a real problem - because so many things could be the root
    cause. First off, I would make sure that my Office 2003 instance is fully
    updated. You can now get those via the newer Update.Microsoft.Com
    or use the regular Office.Microsoft.Com site and click the "Check for
    Updates" button. Malware could be part of it, but it's characteristic is to
    slow down the whole system - not specific applications.
    Normally, you would want to check the Application Event log for red
    icon entries and check each (Double-Click) to read the Event ID # & a
    brief description. Also use Taskmgr to look at your processes map and
    see if any particular process is taking an abnormal amount of CPU time
    or has excessive memory use or page faults.
    Sometimes these issues are "Quirky" interactions where only a combo
    of certain apps, at certain version levels don't play well together. In that
    case it's usually the last application updated or patched that is the cause.
    It's hard to give you a definitive process to use and it can be irritating
    and time consuming to resolve -

    "Tom Williams" <TomWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > For some reason, Windows Media Player 10, MSN Messenger 7 and Outlook 2003
    > have all started intermittently hanging during normal usage. From what I
    > can
    > tell, no other progs are affected.
    >
    > Can anyone think of a reason / fix for this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Tom

Outlook 2003 Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Media Player Windows XP