WMP 10, Messenger 7 and Outlook 2003 all hanging

August 13, 2005 8:53:03 AM

For some reason, Windows Media Player 10, MSN Messenger 7 and Outlook 2003
have all started intermittently hanging during normal usage. From what I can
tell, no other progs are affected.

Can anyone think of a reason / fix for this?

Thanks in advance
Tom
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:12:01 PM

Did this behavior start immediately after -any- update/patch or the like ?
If the intermittencies started say 3-5 days ago, you might try a System
Restore to a day before the issues starting appearing. Trying to untangle
hang-ups is a real problem - because so many things could be the root
cause. First off, I would make sure that my Office 2003 instance is fully
updated. You can now get those via the newer Update.Microsoft.Com
or use the regular Office.Microsoft.Com site and click the "Check for
Updates" button. Malware could be part of it, but it's characteristic is to
slow down the whole system - not specific applications.
Normally, you would want to check the Application Event log for red
icon entries and check each (Double-Click) to read the Event ID # & a
brief description. Also use Taskmgr to look at your processes map and
see if any particular process is taking an abnormal amount of CPU time
or has excessive memory use or page faults.
Sometimes these issues are "Quirky" interactions where only a combo
of certain apps, at certain version levels don't play well together. In that
case it's usually the last application updated or patched that is the cause.
It's hard to give you a definitive process to use and it can be irritating
and time consuming to resolve -

!