Hello,

I have built an new xp pro machine and upon first boot up, it created (among
others) a My Documents folder. Then when I used the Files and Settings
Transfer wizard, it moved my old My Documents folder from the old machine to
the new one. Problem is, they have different names. I expect if I'd named
them identically, there wouldn't be two of them. Each file I try to save
defaults to the one from the old machine. My question is, can I safely
delete the other?

Many thanx,

Rip

--
Ripper T Smith
rippertsmith<nospam>@comcast.net

> Hello,
>
> I have built an new xp pro machine and upon first boot up, it created
> (among others) a My Documents folder. Then when I used the Files and
> Settings Transfer wizard, it moved my old My Documents folder from
> the old machine to the new one. Problem is, they have different
> names. I expect if I'd named them identically, there wouldn't be two
> of them. Each file I try to save defaults to the one from the old
> machine. My question is, can I safely delete the other?
>
> Many thanx,
>
> Rip

You can delete what you want.
First, though, I'd make sure that you have everything you want in the 'real'
folder. In fact, I'd probably create c:\data (or d:\data, etc) and move the
items I want there - and re-point My Documents at *that* folder to keep
things clean. Right-click on My Documents, properties, and you can aim it at
whatever you like.

Right click "My Documents" folder on the Desktop -- Properties -- Restore
Default.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)